Why is my 5D giving me half a picture?

anesh

<p>My new 5D is giving me half a picture whenever I just start shooting. After a few frames the problem goes away. I've ensured that when using flash (430ex or 580ex) that I'm well within max sync speed. In fact this attachment was taken at 1/60, f/5.6 with a 28-105 USM. What can I do?</p><div>00Ttko-153163584.jpg.bd08d6b85d3c78c65d66d9d14d383cff.jpg</div>

<p>If this happens with and without the flash either your shutter or mirror is on the fritz and you need to send it back to canon. If it only happens with the flash, there could possibly be a communication problem between the camera and the flash (try cleaning your contacts maybe) but I suspect that this is a not a user serviceable problem. </p>

<p>Everything you describe in your post is a symptom of shutter failure. If you do a search you will find other forums about this with similar photo examples. Canon should be able to fix it at modest cost.</p>

<p>Your shutter speed is clearly below the sync speed of the camera. Also a sticky shutter may may start working after a couple of shots as you are clearly experiencing. The 430 and 580 flashes you are using will not be effected by the lens hood unless you are within 2 feet of the subject which is clearly not the case in the photo you attached.</p>

<p> </p>

Looks like you may have been shooting above 250th of a second. The results are the flash fires while the shutter is closing. Do some test shots on Manual with the shutter speed at 250th or lower and see if all of your images come out correctly.