WEDDING CRITIQUE OF THE WEEK 7/9/09 - AKA WEDDING PHOTO OF THE WEEK -

think27

<p>I can understand your concern Pat but I think you're missing the fact that a wedding is a planned event right from the start ... no getting around that fact at all.</p>

<p>Is this fun shot any different than when one of us poses a couple by a pillar or a piano? The pose here happens to occur in mid-air over water. Kudos to the creativity. My guess is that the couple either asked for this shot or they were excited to have a photographer who wanted to capture it. This is a destination wedding and the hotel could have had photos similar to this around; I know I have a set of photos from a couple's engagement session of them "taking the plunge" which is a great play on words for a shot like this. The phrase is common and it's now a great part of an album (hopefully). </p>

<p>If they were at a destination location I would expect that the bride had the dress back the next day or so in brand spankin' clean condition as they spent the next week smiling about what a great time they had at their wedding and commenting on how it was the best decision they made as far as how they spent their money. I'll bet the couple was a part of making this photo happen just as it appears.</p>

<p>If it was taken as part of a Trash the Dress session <strong><em>the next day</em> </strong> then this photo might not meet the criteria of the thread ... dunno, but I do know it's a fun photo and I'm betting that the couple desperately wanted the "posed" shot or they were excited to have it suggested.</p>

<p>It's great thinking "out of the box" Pat ... all's ok. No worries.</p>

<p>Pat - I never considered what you are saying and I see how that could be staged - so thanks for the great idea. I believe the photographers said this was a desination wedding - the they are where they are honeymooning... the hotel could easily clean the dress... The idea behind the trash the dress thing is - hey I am only going to wear this once... maybe this bride had this in mind and spent 99.00 on her dress so that she could do just this. who knows but I love the idea that it could be a fake... that would be even more cool if it was because we could all learn how to do it... I guess the only way we will ever know is if Kristina is willing to post the splash photo and wet photo....</p>

<p>No offense taken at all (Pat). I'm happy to have the discussion.<br /><br />It was planned, but not fabricated. The bride and groom from day one talked about 'taking the plunge' for use in their announcements, as not many people were in Jamaica with us. <br /><br />When we got to the resort, we looked for the perfect spot (originally wanting rocks or a cliff) but the bride and groom found the dock and we felt it worked.</p>

<p>When we went for the photo - it happened really quickly, I'm not sure I thought much at all about anything technical.<br /> <br />I'll admit to not doing much post-production and agree to the fact that the dress/skin tones/sky need color correction.<br /><br />I've straightened the horizon & unstraightened it, flip-flopping back and forth, and can't decide. While it looks cleaner straight, I also love the spontenaity of the original.<br /><br />I was shooting with a 50mm f/1.4. I could have used a wide angle - not sure why I didn't. When I saw the shot in my head, I didn't see it wide or horizontal, but reading G.E.'s post made me second guess my choice a bit.<br /><br />While she spent loads on the dress, hair make up, etc. It's a once in a lifetime (we hope) day - why not? The idea suited the personality if this couple for sure. Totally outgoing and fun. Their family cheered them on from the beach and, after taking the plunge, she threw her bouquet to her sister who was filming it from the paddle boat!</p>

<p>Francie and Pat - I'm posting a post-jump snapshot for you - Enjoy!!</p><div>00Ttos-153207584.jpg.1a2c0bb31cbf8004383ae6c0e13ed637.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3874304">Kristina</a> for the great story--and thanks for taking the time to explain all of that. Wow, a lot of planning went into that, so I admire your nerves of steel and your skill in making sure that you properly captured a true-life, once-only photo opportunity! I'm sure the couple must be very pleased.</p>

<p>Nice shot - thanks for sharing, especially like the story behind the shot. After seeing all the color corrections and crops, and actually thinking that I'd like it with the horizon line straightened out, I keep going back to the original....I think its still the best. --Rich</p>

<p>Kristina: Yeah, horizon! Should be our first step working on photos like that - other than that, good, nothing counts more, if your client is happy.<br>

Alltogether, your job seemed pretty easy compared to the guy I could watch last weekend (The water was REALLY) cold</p><div>00TtuA-153265584.jpg.0d9cc5eceb8f51b64e9456000641eff5.jpg</div>

<p>Other than needing very slight warming up, I preferred Kristina's original. Nothing about it bothered me. The off-kilter tilt suits the spontaneity. The framing is fine as-is, it doesn't need to be cropped. Closer cropping top or bottom feels closed in and hinders the sense of vertical motion. It all works perfectly. Erasing the objects in the water upsets the ambiance. The buoy or marker and boat look like they're supposed to be there. It's not just clutter. All of the suggested tweaks, other than a very subtle warm-up, look too forced and detract from the spontaneity of the original.</p>

<p>What would be really far-out is if they were falling into the water to have them do it in a backwards fall, holding hands, looking at each other.<br>

Something about "taking the plunge" eh? This is still a quite good photo but I'm always at heart a PJ and that means faces faces faces!</p>

<p>I have to say that the tilt in this shot adds to it. I normally don't like tilts as they look contrived unless done for a reason. Whereas in this shot it adds something to the feeling of immediacy and spontaneous capture to it.</p>

<p>The exposure is perfect and with just a touch of color bump I believe it to be as good as it can be from where you stood.</p>

<p>On the idea of looking at it from the water side.. I can see why that would appeal to many. However, this makes you feel like the shot was grabbed as they just took off running down the pier, if you know what I mean (partly that tilt thing too).</p>

<p>Simona's color tweak is pretty close to what I got while fooling around with the original in my own editing software last night. Just a slight warmup to the skin tones, a little less cyan overall. Not sure about the apparent vignetting effect in Simona's version, but otherwise that seems about right.</p>

<p>This is a great photo, along with the follow up of the couple in the water.</p>