Need inexpensive tri-pod for Nikon D80

joannersr

<p>I have a Nikon D80 and I need a tri pod to go with it. I've seen alot of suggestions for the Bogan Manfrotto and the Gitzo but I'm on a very tight budget now and can only affored under $75 for a tri pod. So, with that in mind is there anything you think I could get that would support my camera?<br>

I'm a student photographer (well, ok a 40 yr old student :-) and as such I don't know what features to look for. I know it's lame that I can spend so little money--but hubbies out of work and I still have to pay for college....such are the time! Any advice on features as well?<br>

Thank you so much for your help,<br>

Joanne</p>

<p>If you don't mind buying a used tripod through Amazon or another dealer, the field is wide open. There are some very good bargains in rigid, dependable tripods for under $100. I haven't bought a new tripod in almost 15 years. The three I have bought in that time were all used and cost $25 or less, and all originally retailed for over $100. You should be able to find a good quality Bogen/Manfrotto, Slik or other good brand within your budget by shopping used or demo.</p>

<p>Skip any low priced tripod that features a quick release head. These are seldom secure or reliable and tend to add cost without adding real value.</p>

<p>If you have any problems with arthritis or pain in your hands or fingers, avoid tripods with thumbscrew type twist locks for the legs. Flip-type lever locks tend to be easier to manage.</p>

<p>In the budget market there are better values among tilt/pan heads than in ball heads. It's easy to make low cost secure tilt/pan heads that work reliably. And the larger lever locks are easier to operate. Bargain ball heads are seldom very good, either not holding much weight securely or requiring too much force to lock and unlock to prevent slipping, especially when fitted with tiny twist locks.</p>

<p>Joanne.... Check out the Bogen 3001 on E bay (about $75 with patience). It's one of the better "cheap" tripods. From there you move up to the heavier, more expensive, but very stable, 3021 and 3221 tripods (about $125-150).</p>

<p>Joanne<br>

I wanted to shoot the 4th of July fireworks and my good sturdy tripod is far away. I didn't want to spend and purchase another for this event. So... I shopped cheap. Where I am presently in Maine, Walmart and Best Buy are the nearest available retailers. Walmart, internet shows many tripods. In store, one and only one, was available - Targa, computer case maker as far as I know. My price point, though, $25. It had three way pan, easy close/extend legs, and even a level. Cheap, and I got my money's worth, the plastic knob was broken right out of the box. I shot fireworks - 7/3 was foggy and rainy, so much so that all I got was a glow in the dark. On 7/4, I caught the Grucci light show in Portland. Spectacular as it was, it was also Grucci's first time in Maine. They were still releasing burst of unexploded ordinance 10 minutes after the show was done. Now the ethical dilemma, return the tripod with the defective broken knob?<br>

Best Buy has tripods in the $32 - $100 range. As one would expect there are sacrifices one must accept at the lower price. But, the platform will suffice. Compensate by shooting several frames. Use a faster shutter speed. Stop down to the optimum f stop. You can brace the tripod or add weight to the center post and this will add some stability. Don't extend to full height, less instability. Fire the shutter with the remote.<br>

That said, I shot the fireworks at about half height, no weights, exposure ranging from 3-8 seconds at f11-f20. I got some reasonable images.<br>

In the low price range the features are pretty much the same. The extension lock for the legs should be sturdy and not allow the tripod to collapse. Lean on the legs when they are extended and the lock should hold. One of Best Buy's tripods would not lock properly and hold when locked. A level is nice but not crucial - a bubble to let you know the tripod is level. The head will usually have a removable plate to attach to your camera for quick release, good feature. The head will also rotate, elevate/depress, and allow for vertical camera position. The ease will depend on the head and in the low price range will be pretty basic and a take a bit of fiddle. When the financial picture brightens then you can upgrade.<br>

$32 was really low cost. In the $60 range Best Buy had some reasonable looking tripods. Just keep expectation reasonable. By the way my older tripods are in use as light stands for my old flashes when I use the commander flash mode on my camera. Good luck in your search.</p>

<p>joanne, how heavy is your heaviest lens? add that to the weight of the camera to get your minimum load limit. you want the tripod to at least be able to support that, perhaps with some leeway.</p>

<p>also, will you be going very deep into the field? if so, you dont want anything too heavy (over, say, 5 lbs)</p>

<p>try to get all-aluminum as a plastic tripod wont be very stable and has more give in the legs than you might like.</p>

<p>a quick search of amazon.com reveals several options in the under-$100 category:</p>

<p>this Dolica ( http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247015185&sr=8-1 ) retails for just $45, had a ballhead and quick release, leg spikes, weighs 4lbs and can hold 13.2 lbs. i've never heard of the brand, but it's styled like a gitzo--probably there are cheaper materials involved-- but for the price that may suffice. and there are 42 reviews on it with a 4.5 rating out of 5--always a good sign.</p>

<p>for $50, there's a velbon with a pan/tilt head ( http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-DF-60-Function-Weight-Tripod/dp/B00009UTVO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247015471&sr=8-6 ) . probably about the same quality, probably not as good for outdoor shooting use due to stability bar (which limits positioning of legs).</p>

<p>for the same price you can get this slik ( http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Fluid-Effect-Built/dp/B00006HOKW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247015471&sr=8-16 ) with leg spikes, leg supports, and a bubble level (very useful feature for landscape shots).</p>

<p>for about $90, there's this slik ( http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Fluid-Effect-Built/dp/B00006HOKW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247015471&sr=8-16 ) with a reversing center column for low-angle shots.</p>

<p>if it were me, i'd probably go for that $45 dolica--if its worthless, you're not out that much cash, but it has a lot of positive reviews so it might be ok for your purposes...i wouldn't expect the ballhead to be very good, but if you like the legs you can always switch it out.</p>

<p>I'd say that the best deal in tripods right now is the Manfrotto 190XProB (or the cheaper 190XB if you don't need the horizontally-swiveling centre column) and 486RC2 head. You can get it for close to $200 if you buy it as a kit. I had a bit of a problem convincing myself to spend $250 (CAD) on three sticks and a hinge, but I'm glad I did.</p>

<p>Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for a deal on "bay of E" ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Any tripod under 75 bucks is not going to be sturdy, and probably not worth using."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So I keep hearing.</p>

<p>I bought these used:</p>

<ul>

<li>Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 legset with 3028 Super 3-D tilt/pan head: $25</li>

<li>Slik 300 DX: $15 (tho' I later replaced the head with a Velbon magnesium ballhead that cost more than all my tripods put together)</li>

<li>Safe-Lock PT: $5. Funky tripod with pneumatic leg and center column extensions. Comparable to the now discontinued Bogen/Manfrotto 3011 in height and capacity. Unfortunately the proprietary head has an awkward, slow mounting system and isn't easily replaced.</li>

</ul>

<p>There's hardly any reason to compromise by buying a new tripod costing under $100 when the same money will buy a much better quality used tripod. And there isn't much that can go wrong with a tripod so they're usually a safe bet used.</p>

<p>Joanne - I bought a cheap Vivitar aluminum and plastic tripod at a Walmart a number of years ago, and that experience makes me recommend taking a look at what they have today. Be very skeptical about any cheap tripod you examine - the advice about an unsteady tripod and tipping is good - so take care. The unit I bought has a pan head type, which is pretty much universal among cheaper tripods. It has brace that connects each of the legs to the center post for sturdiness and it works. Wouldn't get an inexpensive tripod without that brace. It also has a hook on the bottom end of the center post that is used to hang a camera bag or similar heavy object to help steady the tripod, and it works, too! It has the lever-type leg locks and the advice about screw-type locks on a cheap tripod is correct - they won't hold very well.<br>

You might also look at Best Buy. A cheap but useful tripod can be had, but there are a lot of useless ones out there, and you gotta pay attention to the details. Take your camera with your heaviest lens with you when you shop and mount it onto any tripod you are considering, and try to wobble the rig. Good hunting.</p>

<p>Joanne,<br>

As has already been mentioned, any tripod that costs $75 or less new isn't going to provide the support that you need. To get any sort of quality for that price, you will have to consider buying used.<br>

Although I have several expensive tripods, I was lucky enough to snag an almost like-new Manfrotto 3001 for $10 at a flea market. I say "almost like-new" because the stud for mounting the head was a bit ratty. I took it to a local plumber who chased the threads for me for all of $5. So it can be done but you are going to have to look around and be lucky.<br>

While it's not my primary 'pod, it makes a great backup and is useful for times when I want to travel light. I happened to have a spare Kirk BH3 in my bag which works great with the 3001 legset. That head would put you way beyond the $75 budget but, again, consider buying used and you might just be able to pull this off without breaking the bank.</p>

<p>thanks so much for everyones advice. I'm well aware that I'm not likely to get the bang for my cheap buck. So, taking everyones advice into consideration I'm going to spend more money. I have been shopping e-bay and have a few I'm watching...you all have convinced me that, that is the way to go.<br>

thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate your time!<br>

Best regards,<br>

Joanne</p>

<p>Hi Joanne<br>

I'm also a student (50+ yr old) photographer and I use a Nikon D80 too, and I don't see what is getting these guys so hung up about tripods! Possibly Man thing!<br>

I have a Velbon CX 444; The Velbon is excellent for location and studio work with the Nikon; it's small, compact and lightweight, which makes it ideal for packing when traveling, especially for flight; maybe the head ain't the best, but it keeps the camera connected!<br>

The camera don't enter into it! What will you be doing with the camera is the question that needs to be answered. Obviously longer lenses need more stabilization, but if you're a student, then perhaps you can't afford long lenses anyway. Look on e-bay for the bargain du jour!:D<br>

Guys - deal with it!!!<br>

Jean-Guillaume</p>

<p>Ok Joanne you somehow managed to swing a D80 so save just a few more $$ and get a better tripod. Bag your lunch, don't eat out, make your coffee at home and don't but new clothes this month. I picked up a nice little Induro tripod and ball head for about $150 total. I picked it up for my G10 as my very heavy Bogan wilderness was overkill. The lightweight aluminum Induro surprised me enough with it's rigidity that I sometimes use it with larger cameras as well. It's much better than any Walmart $75 dollar special.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I took it to a local plumber who chased the threads for me for all of $5.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a good idea, Richard. I really like the legset on my funky Safe-Lock PT 'pod. But the head isn't so useful, and isn't readily interchangeable. It's fastened with tension pins and retaining rings, not the usual 1/4" or 3/8" bolts. I'd like to cobble the Bogen/Manfrotto 3028 Super 3-D head onto it. I'm only using the 3001 legset as a makeshift light/reflector stand, since the 3/8" Manfrotto mounting bolt can withstand a lot of stress. The Safe-Lock legset is lightweight but sturdy and rigid, and looks cool in anodized blue aluminum!</p>

<p>Anyway, Joanne, the point I try to make repeatedly in these threads (this has gotta be the umpteen-thousandth) is that you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good sturdy basic tripod. And I do get annoyed at the stock replies which poo-poo cheap new 'pods without offering specific alternatives that will fit the specified budget. Over the decades I've handled dozens of used tripods from various reputable manufacturers (Manfrotto, Gitzo, Tiltall, Slik) and have seen only two or three that weren't fully functional. Unfortunately Slik and Velbon have muddied the waters by selling cheap crap 'pods under their names in places like Wal-Mart. But that's not representative of their lineup of better tripods that are very affordable brand new.</p>

<p>Now, if and when you get serious about macro, wildlife, architectural photography or other specialties, sure, then there's no point in compromising. There's no substitute for a properly design quick release mechanism, a gimbal head or macro slider, none of which are cheap. But for the stuff most of us do most of the time using lightweight or moderate weight equipment? Nah. There are dozens of affordable tripods that'll work just fine.</p>

<p>I got a Slik pro 350 DX from a local store for around $100 bucks.<br>

I like it, for the little I use it, the head pans and tilts smooth as silk, it's light & compact. It has built in spikes and levels, not bad for $100. I'd highly recomend.<br>

That said:<br>

It DOES NOT support the weight of a d700 with a fast zoom and battery grip well. you will **not** want to fully extend the legs (i don't go past the 2nd extension) and you will darn sure want to remember to have your 3rd leg pointed FRONT. <br>

but it can't be beat for the price and for pack-a-bility, and lug-a-bility, and (especially to my wife) Store-a-bility (she's a bit peeved that my gear has taken over every closet in the house). </p>

<p>Agree with Leigh, I also use a SLIK "heavy-duty" but the D200 with a battery pack and a 300mm lens is heavier than the heavy-duty can handle... It was cheap and has served well in many occasions but due to what stated above I am looking for a pro tri-pod :/</p>

<p> Hi Everyone,<br>

These are a few tri pods I've been checking out ...</p>

<ul>

<li>Vanguard Tracker, </li>

<li>Davis & Sanford, </li>

<li>SunPack 4300 pro, </li>

<li>Slik Sprint Pro, </li>

<li>Vista-model?, </li>

<li>Manfrotto 725B, </li>

<li>Slik Able 300DX, </li>

<li>Bogan Manfrotto 3001 w/ 329 head; also ones w/ the 3126,3025 heads, </li>

<li>Bogan Manrottos #'s 3011n, 3051, 3221, 3028, 3130, 3040 w/ various heads........ <strong> My</strong> head is spinning!</li>

</ul>

<p>Yes, Michael I did manage to swing the D80 but that was while my husband was employed. so money is a little tight right now. However, my husband did appreciate your advice on not going out to eat, buying clothes and so-forth. ;-) And I too agree!<br>

Jean, Your right I can't afford a new lense right now. The only lense I have is the Nikon 18-135 that came w/ the camera. I hope to get another one this year. I'll have to take Michael's advice to heart! Thanks Jean for re-assuring me that I don't have to stick w/ a well known brand.<br>

Best Regards to All,<br>

Joanne</p>

<p> </p>