What am I missing with the FM3A

david carver

<p>I am very rational with my purchaces and they need to be good value or they get short shrift with me. The FM3a was never purchaced by me to be a collectable - and that word smacks of stuffy men with equally stuffy glass cabinets.</p>

<p>Firstly the FM3a is the first manual Nikon I ever saw and tried. The 'better value' FE/FM models were not seen nor able to be tried. I don't ever buy blind.<br>

Then there is the shutter action - it felt sharp and vibration free. That was a plus in my book.<br>

Next is metering - and this is my favourite bit of the FM3a - it is so easy to meter a scene and even with Kodachrome it gets it right nearly every time.<br>

Then parts availability. Nikon are still supporting it and will do for a while.<br>

45P - mine came with the lovely 45mm lens and together they looked just right.</p>

<p>So, whilst now perhaps the FM3a is classed as 'collectors' - that should not for one moment deflect thoughts from what it was when introduced - a first rate picture taking machine with few corners cut. It remains that even through the fusty doors of the collectors cupboard.</p>

<p>If the FM3a was selling for $200 right now, I suspect there would be far less demand ;) Same could be said for the Leica M6. People and economics are funny animals, and I certainly include myself in that statement ;)<br>

For me the size and simplicity of the FM3a is what makes it valuable, but as others have said you can get that with the FM2n for far less. I prefer the LEDs for low-light shooting myself.</p>

<p>I purchased the FM3a when it came out in 2001; I was looking to get back into photography and wanted something <em>traditional</em> : a camera without auto focus, something that could run without a battery if necessary and maybe aperture priority automation. Digital photography was in its infancy in 2001; the top selling Nikon SLRs at the time were not digital, but auto focus film (i.e. N80, etc.). The FM3a was released to compete with the Leica M6, which it never could. Nikon made an error by releasing the FM3a 10-12 years too late. But it is an excellent camera: I've found it to be a solid, light-weight, quiet, flexible, reliable camera. I currently use it as a backup; it's frequently in my camera bag with my F4, F100 or Mamiya 645P.</p>

<p>I bought mine when it was first came out and I had no idea it would become collectable. I liked my FM2N but was drawn to the FM3a because of Aperture Priority exposure and the little flash compensation button for fill flash. I think it's a nice improvement over the FM2 family. A better mousetrap.</p>

<p>Hi<br>

My FM3a was bought new in 2002 - it was the first Nikon SLR I ever bought from Grays of Westminster in London. I bought it to use it and I still use it alongside my later purchased FE/FM2n and F3 - all bought second hand on Ebay. FE2 prices were very high at the time but here was a camera (FM3a) that might have plentiful spare parts for a good many years to come.</p>

<p>I love my FM3a - the viewfinder, although not 100% like the F3 is extremely bright - brighter than the FE and - yes folks - brighter IMHO than the F3 too - 100% or on 100% coverage. I use the later type focussing screen in my black FM2N too. I've used Pentax and Olympus gear in the past but I just love the Nikon manual focus stuff. I use one of those metal handgrips on my FM3a to make it even nicer to handle - they were made by an American company I think. </p>

<p>The FM3a is a very fast camera to use - as is the FE and the F3 - but it has an edge. Exposure lock on the F3 is a pain however, but easy on the FM3a and FE. The meter is very good on the FM3a. As some have noticed, it is very vibration free - more so than the FE, FM2n and F3. The FM2n is slower to use and you have to be more careful with metering from my experience - a delightful mechanical camera though - even more satisfying to use than the OM-1 or MX.</p>

<p>These Nikons of my mine are all well built and will probably outlast me. I've never regretted buying the FM3a - it was a fantastic introduction to the marque. Reviews of the FM3a at its launch did not focus on it as a 'classic camera' - they welcomed the replacement for the long lamented FE2 and recently discontinued FM2n and treated it as a serious camera. And it is.</p>

<p>If the market is pushing up prices, then what does it tell you about markets? That they are rational? I think not!! All markets seem to behave the same - when something is wanted and scarce, up go the prices and it is up to the individual to decide if they are willing to part with the cash. Keep you FM3a and get used it; look after it, and if you have to part company with it, you'll get a good price when you let it go.</p>

<p>I can't say I've broken film in cold weather.</p>

<p>Here are two frames from the same roll, taken in 1986, with a Nikon FM2N body and Tri-X black-and-white film. [i was stationed in central Alaska, 1984-1987....so I cannot compare how well a digital camera now would compare with what was used back then. I do know that extreme cold makes a battery drop voltage, and less voltage usually means a camera may, repeat may, cease to operate. Old Nikons, if you did not mount a motor drive, managed to wind film (and rewind) without breaking the film inside the camera.]</p>

<p> </p><div>00Tssa-152681784.jpg.4772c570d132c23ff6dd82282ade961f.jpg</div>

<p>My electronic Nikon 35mm cameras include two FEs and two N2020s. I also have an F2, many mechanical Nikkormats and two Pronea APS SLRs, an S and a 6000i. The main advantage of the FM3A is that you have the aperture priority automation of the FE series with all of the mechanical shutter speeds of the FM series. The N2020s, which I use as manual focus cameras, have a top shutter speed of 1/2000. That's fast enough for most purposes. The FE still has 1/90 as a manual speed. The FM cameras are not very exciting or me. If I don't need a motor and I can't change the focusing screen I'd rather use a Nikkormat FT2 or FT3. With an FE I can always flip up the AI tab and use a pre-AI lens. I can't do this with an N2020. If I use a camera like an FE or a Minolta X-700 I will always carry spare batteries or a spare mechanical body. The X-700 is one of my favorites and if I could find one which would also work at all speeds without batteries I would be tempted to get one. The FM3A is supposed to be very well made. Whether it's worth the current asking price is something each person has to decide for himself. </p>

<p>Can someone please enlighten me? As far as I know, all FM/FE/FM2/FM2N/FE2 and also FM3A use the same 60:40 center-weighted metering - so how can it be that the one in the FM3A is supposedly superior? Did Nikon make some adjustments to it in the FM3A that weren't in the previous models?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The FM3a was released to compete with the Leica M6</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Than it came about 16 years to late, given that the M6 production started in 1984 and ended in 1998, followed by the M6TTL until 2002 - just about the time the FM3A was introduced (2001).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon made an error by releasing the FM3a 10-12 years too late</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On that I totally agree.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon made an error by releasing the FM3a 10-12 years too late.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The same could be said of the Olympus OM-3. But like the FM3A it remains a cult classic.</p>

<p>Personally, even tho' I decided to get a good used FM2N instead after handling the FM3A and FM2 Titanium (similarly priced), I can fully understand the appeal of pricier cameras that offer only a few features that some of us would consider of marginal advantage.</p>

<p>Nobody should feel compelled to justify their enjoyment of an instrument over the din of anti-elitism, which itself is just another form of elitism. I mention that because Ian Rance's enthusiasm for the Nikon APS SLRs has contributed some interesting conversations here this year. I've followed some of those threads with interest even tho' it's not something I'd buy. In fact, it prompted me to dig out a 1996 annual camera roundup issue of Modern Photography. Interesting, to look back and see how much has changed since that year, which was, in retrospect, the cusp, the point at which APS seemed to be peaking and digital was still only a marginal player among a few bleeding edge pros and well heeled enthusiasts. And a camera like the FM3A seemed an unlikely proposition even in 1996. Remarkable how it achieved such a level of popularity. It's a significant marker in Nikon's history.</p>

<p>What's the big fuss. The FM3a is a good, easy to use, rugged and simple film camera. It combines the best aspects of the old FE2 and the FMN2. Good if you need a easy to use film camera that can work at all its speeds if the battery fails. But it still a basically retro good film camera as is the F3's or the various F2's. If you like shooting film, it's a very good tool. The F3 is a "pro" model with all the flexibility and configurability of the Nikon Pro film bodies of that era. Really comparing apples and oranges. Actually, Lex ran down the main features pretty well. I have an FE2 so I wouldn't probbably looking for one, and to tell you the truth, it sees very little use as my version is LOUD. In fact, it's the only camera I"ve used on the sreet that actually makes people's heads turn when the shutter fires.</p>

<p>This thread demonstrates that those of us who have one and use it, love it for a variety of reasons, none of which is because we aren't familiar with the alternatives. Some bought one and rolled it because for whatever reason, it didn't suit. But did you note that not one of us is a collector and all of us use our cameras? </p>

<p>I think there is a good possibility that these cameras aren't being 'collected' and driving up the price but that they are recognized by more photographers for their fine points than there were when they came out and that not too many are sitting around in boxes or cabinets waiting for the price to go up.</p>

<p>This camera was never intended to compeete with a Leica. It was for all those who said repeatedly that if they could get a new/updated FE/FE2, they would buy it. Before I got my FEs and FE2, I heard that over and over and I think Nikon heard and responded.</p>

<p>I have never run out of battery power on any of my cameras because I always have backups. Likewise, I have never run out of film nor had film break in the cold. I also really don't like a MD on a manual camera so don't own any. It's all in being prepared.. But I am glad to know that my FM3a will still function if I have a lapse in preparation. </p>

<p>I do not regret buying either of my FM3as but there are others I have regretted. I am not a collecotor but I am an accumulator.</p>

<p>Conni</p>

<p>I totally agree, Conni. I bought my FM3a without ever considering that it would become collectible...if it indeed is. I use it weekly. It's not for everybody, but neither is a D700.</p>

<p>I have serious doubts that Nikon produced this camera to satisfy collectors.</p>

<p>Nikon certainly did not introduce the FM3a in back 2001 as a collector's item or to complete with Leica. The problem was that they introduced it well into the AF and plastic camera era, and digital photography took off much faster than anybody could enticipate around the turn of the century.</p>

<p>While the FM3a was in production, it was widely available for about $500, while a plastic N80 with matrix metering, spot metering, AF and VR was going for about $300 new. Since the FM3a was very labor-intensive to produce, reportedly Nikon was losing money on each unit they sold, but of course there is no way for us to verify that claim. It wasn't until after the FM3a had already been discontinued in 2006 that all of a sudden its price took off in the used market to a point that it became much more expensive than the original new price. By then most photographers had already switched to digital as the sub-$1000 D70 and D80 and $1600 D200 became available in 2004/2005/2006. Meanwhile, used FM2 and FE2 bodies that have similar features as the FM3a but with much longer production cycles and a lot more units in circulation became dirt cheap in the used market.</p>

<p>Therefore, if one is to buy an FM/FE camera to take pictures today, it makes a lot more sense to buy an FM2/FE2. However, the amusing part is that certain people come up with very lame excuses to justify the insane prices for used FM3a's today. In particular, mint samples are in high demand, which is a clear sign that collectors are snapping those up. Unfortunately, the OP listened to those excuses, paid the high price for an FM3a, and is now left wondering what the fuss is all about.</p>

<p>Therefore the problem is not with the camera - which is fine and welll built as most manual focus Nikons - it is the problem of human behaviour in the market place driving up silly prices.</p>

<p>Some of us seem to be blaming the product rather than the accepting how markets unfortunately work from time to time. Markets as efficient and effective allocators of resources eh? Not all the time obviously!!</p>

<p>It is all indeed human behavior. I am extremely into photography but am not a camera collector, so I don't pretend to fully understand their reasoning, but generally speaking, something becomes a collector's item must be:</p>

<ul>

<li>rare</li>

<li>in mint condition</li>

</ul>

<p>Nikon does occasionally produce some collector's cameras, such as the reproduced S3 rangefinder, limited edition (limited to 2000 units around $5000 each): <a href="http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/film/s3/index.htm">http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/film/s3/index.htm</a><br>

And the F5 anniversary edition: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00H7ns">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00H7ns</a> I'll repeat a story I mentioned in that other thread:</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=24372">Shun Cheung</a> , Jun 29, 2006; 11:45 p.m.<br>

<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00H7ns"></a><br>

I recall that about 10 years ago, there was some rare stamp from the 19th century on auction. At the time there were only 2 known ones left in the world. The person who won the auction spent like 2, 3 million dollars. It turned out that he was the owner of the other one. As soon as he got the stamp, he destroyed it immediately so that the one he had was the only sample left. That is the mentality of rich collectors.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Therefore, had Nikon introduced the FM3a in 1991 (instead of 2001) when AF was still in its infancy, they would have sold a lot more of them and the FM3a would never have become a collector's item with the unusually high price today.</p>

<p>Incidentally, 2009 is the 50th anniversary of the original Nikon F and the entire F mount system, but apparently there is no special edition camera for that occasion.</p>

<p>Shun, I did not pay a high price. I paid what it sold New as back in 2001 or 2002 ($450). I guess it is high but not ridiculous. I buy a lot of different cameras to play with. I don't have buyers remorse. I just wanted to know why a lot of people would pay $800 for the camera.</p>

<p>As Shun correctly pointed out, in 2002-3, you could buy a new FM3a for around $500, and a really clean used FM2n or FE2 for around $300. That all made sense, and you could rationalize a new $500 FM3a as easily as a used FE2 for $300. But fast forward 5-6 years, and a used FE2 or FM2n is now a mere $150, while a used FM3a is $600-700. At this point, one cannot rationally state that the value proposition is still there for an FM3a - for someone who actually plans to seriously use the camera. Whereas 5 years ago, it was.</p>

<p>Here's my own story.</p>

<p>I bought a Nikon FE in 1982 and it was my only camera for over 20 years. I was very satisfied with this basic camera and as years went by I had no interest in autofocus, built-in winders, or other more recent features. In 2004 I decided to finally get a midrange zoom and ended up buying a G lens not knowing any better, because the salesman (at a reputable and trusted store) assumed that my camera was from the last 15 years and could use such a lens. Fortunately they accepted my return of this lens and I got the a D lens instead, but I realized that my favorite camera technology (at that time) was way behind the times. I assumed that such cameras were not being made any more and that once mine wore out or could no longer be repaired then my only option would be to buy a used one. If I had dug deeper I'd have found out about the FM3a.</p>

<p>To my surprise and pleasure I did discover the FM3a in 2005 and I proceeded to buy one as a replacement for my FE. By that time my FE getting old and parts for repairs were getting scarce, so I realized that a brand new camera for the next 20 years would be a good idea. Upon using this camera I found it was a new and improved FE that was as pleasurable as ever to use.</p>

<p>Subsequently I caught the collecting bug and got the F3HP among others, and fell in love with that camera. The FM3a is lighter and a little more compact, but now that my vision is worse the F3HP has a better viewfinder (I used to be able to get away with taking my glasses off for the FE), dedicated mirror lockup, takes non-AI lenses, and has a more solid feel. I also found the N80 better for action and quick shots; autofocus has its uses at times after all. On top of that I've generally been using medium format more recently for my landscape and nature photography.</p>

<p>So my poor FM3a has been neglected the last couple of years even though it's a wonderful camera within its category. It's fallen into the cracks between my serious medium format film shooting, my serious 35mm shooting with some non-AI lenses (e.g. 8mm fisheye), and my casual digital snapshots with my D60 or compacts. When I went to New Orleans last year and shot 35mm, I took an FG and an N80 on the basis that their theft would be no big deal financially, so why bring my precious near-mint FM3a?</p>

<p>Having now handled a wider variety of recent cameras, I can see why people accustomed to autofocus, autowind cameras with ergonomic molded bodies might be mystified by the appeal of the FM3a to some. However, for someone wanting a camera in the FE/FM series it's the best of the lot and will have parts available the longest, but as others have said it's too expensive in mint condition. I could still see buying one in EX condition as a long-term user in lieu of an FE2 or FA, on the basis of aperture-priority automation that's not available on the other FM series cameras and on the basis of it being newer camera which will have better parts availability for a longer period.</p>

<p>I'm holding onto mine because I may yet go back to it at times when medium format is too heavy and bulky and I want to go lightweight with AI lenses.</p>

<p>I would suggest that the idea that parts will be available longer for an FM3a than an FM2n or FE2 is a total myth. Maybe new parts bought from Nikon will be available longer. But because those other cameras probably each sold 2 orders of magnitude more units, and virtually all of those cameras are users - rather than collector models, it will be INFINITELY easier to buy and canibalize parts bodies for the FE2 and FM2n, for a cost that is noticeably less than that of a the parts alone for the FM3a, out into perpetuity.</p>

<p>Other than price, which may as well be an indication that people like those of us here who have them and use them are just now buying them to use. Where is the hard evidence that there are hoards of collectors out there hiding them away and therefore, driving up the price. </p>

<p>While I don't know everybody, I don't know anyone with an FM3a who didn't buy it to use and is either using it or holding onto it to use when they want to but not as a collector's item.</p>

<p>Most of my older manual Nikons have had to have a CLA<br /> or something (usually) minor repaired. Even when it's minor, it's not cheap. The last time I took one of my FEs in, the repairman said that while there are parts available, they may not be much better than what was in my camera. The answer to that is that I will use it until it irrevocably fails and then carry it to the curb.</p>

<p>There is an FM at Keh for almost $400. I bought one new. It is not my favorite manual camera because of its ear-shattering 'thunk' when you press the shutter release. But it would be a fine weapon.</p>

<p>I bought both of my FM3as when they came out and so didn't pay today's prices (includes inflation?). But that wouldn't bother me any more than it did to pay several thousand dollars for my latest digital camera and I am by no stretch wealthy. If it was to sit on a shelf, I wouldn't bother but to use, it's an expensive hobby and the price for an FM3a if I want one, is not going to ruin my day. I prefer it to any of my other manual Nikons and that's good enough.</p>

<p>Conni</p>