Nikon D300 autofocus assist light turning it's self off.

gstarene

<p>Twice now I have lost the use of my D300 autofocus assist light. I believe, both times while engaging in shooting with off camera Nikon flashes. SB 900 & SB 600's.<br>

After checking the menu and finding that the light was in fact turned on, the only way I could get it working again was to hit the two buttons together is move the menu back to default. All was normal after that and shooting resumed with the same flash settings.<br>

Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening and a final fix?</p>

<p>As soon as I pulled the D300 out of the box, I went into the menu system and made adjustments, including turning the AF assist light off. The Nikon speedlights should have an infrared AF assist light built-in that will work far better than the little flashlight on the D300.</p>

<p>Paul, I hadn't thought the focus assist wouldn't work with the flash off camera. I still see the little flashlight as meant only for close-quarters with the pop-up flash, not with more sophisticated shooting like the OP describes. In his situation, I'd use the rear LCD to check focus and forget about the little light on the front of the camera.</p>