D700 Time to say good bye

davey h

<blockquote>

<p>Ok switch off and start again ok for a few shots then same again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Dave, did you try removing the battery for 10 secs and reinserting it and then turn back on, in many cases, this works. The CF card could also be suss. (suspect )</p>

<p>It may be a weather-related glitch....</p>

<p>Were you shooting outdoors and the camera was in air-conditioning prior to going to the graduation ceremony? In this area of the south, the muggy heat outside may cause a bit of condensation when going inside, giving cause to the problem just 'appearing' when you were ready to shoot. And the reverse would also apply, going from a cooler (air conditioning on high) space to the great out-of-doors muggy place.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd be somewhat surprised if two cameras in a row exhibited the exact same problem without a common cause. The odds are very low. I would try at the least a different CF card. I have had a bad Kingston CF card lock up my D3 before, and there was nothing wrong with the camera. Maybe the camera buss hung on a media time-out. </p>

<p>I had my D70 with me in china when a typhoon hit us. The D70 worked flawlessly although I was sure something going to give with the water just coming down. A pro level camera like the D700 should easily handle UK weather if not left in rain.</p>

<p>I take it that none of this is a battery/power problem?</p>

<p>Thats something I would suspect also. I know with my D700 it can do weird things when the power is low, the LCD may not work, or it wont let you preveiw shots, when the shutter may fire or some things may work. I can't remember everything because its been fully charged for ages now. As for the battery being fully charged, maybe it isn't but you're getting wrong indication saying it is ?? As for the 'slang', don't worry, we cockneys know where you're coming from.</p>

<p><em>To go "pear-shaped" means to get fat in all the "wrong" places - large bottom and thighs. Hence it is not a good thing.</em></p>

<p>If only it was that clear that this is the meaning. It's the one I've always assumed, but the (unintentionally hilarious) <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pear-shaped">wikipedia article</a> suggests other possible histories. I'm quite sure that they are wrong on one point regarding the derivation of a related but more uncouth expression that has an entirely more obvious interpretation, but some of their alternative histories of the phrase are plausible.</p>

<p>David, I'd like to know what Nikon's diagnosis was for the D700 doing a proverbial Norwegian Blue on you. Mine has withstood quite a lot. I've heard more stuff going wrong with iPods & iPhones than D700s and yet you can't stop people queuing to buy them.</p>

<p>Ive never had a problem with my Ipod lol, regards understanding my Gear all the understanding in the world wouldnt change the fact that the Camera malfunctioned Robert but I do understand what you are saying about the back up Camera. I will pass the last part of information on to my wife but remember it was YOU who suggested it! lol</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I seem to have a related power problem with my D700. Sometimes it will not power up and the LCD is totally blank. After sitting stationary for 2-3 days, it will operate normally. The problem is intermittent. This has happened twice this past year and I cannot trust it to be there when needed. Changed the battery, lens, and CF card but nothing works when it is in this dormant state. Anyone have similar problems?....or suggestions? humidity problems? Static electricity?</p>