F2AS - what is it like?

Ian Rance

<p>Thank you for replying Sover - and yes I can fully see the appeal of the F2. You mention possible problems, well the F2SB did not display aperture readings with the MD attached - but neither I nor the staff were sure if this was a fault or just a quirk. Yes - the foams were all shot.</p>

<p>The shop is in London, however the F2 is not on their 'for sale' section of the website nor on display to the public so I will ask them if it is OK to pass the camera details on. If so I will let you know.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi Theodore,<br>

In theory yes, given the high tech equipment. The DP-3/12 ring resistor has carbon and fine metal fingers deposited over a glass substrate. The carbon part is never touched, but the metal deposit is only 5 microns thick and they wear out very quickly. Even the dreaded DP-1 carbon ring resistor is more durable than the DP-3/12 ring resistors.<br>

I have several DP-3s and DP-12s here I cannot repair because they have bad ring resistors.<br>

Regards,<br>

Sover</p>

<p>Sover,<br />If the DP-3/12 ring resistors wear out "quickly", shouldn't they ALL be worn out by now? After all, the youngest of these prisms is almost 30 years old. I have a DP-12 that works fine. Why do some wear out and some don't? Is it related to the amount of use, 'luck' or some other factor?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Steve,<br>

I found all DP-3/12s below Exc++ have worn ring resistors. The ring resistors never wear out completely, but the parts where they're most used have worn contact areas, resulting in very unstable meter readings.<br>

Hence only buy DP-12 Exc++ or better.<br>

Regards,<br>

Sover</p>

<p>Bought a new black F2AS in 1980 and a new F3 in early 1981. Sold the F3 not long after as even though it was a very nice camera it didn't have the solid feel or the wonderfully bright viewfinder of the F2AS. The metering on the AS was measurable to 1/5th of a stop in the viewfinder. IMHO the F2 with DP-12 photomic head (making the F2AS) is the best manual Nikon SLR ever made and unlike the F3 and latter models could still operate without a battery. Black models in the same condition are worth more than the silver.</p>

• 2 years later...