D3 file numbering 10000+

walterh

<p>Hello I know this has been discussed but I did not find an update in this forum.</p>

<p>Is there still no way to have the D3 (or similar nikon bodies) count file names over 10000 rather than starting over at 00001?<br>

I know it is possible to use auto-renaming by various sofware while transferring files to computer.<br>

I just prefer to have the camera count to prevent pilot error.<br>

Using a 64bit OS to rename file names since the camera cannot count more than 10000 seems a bit silly to me but perhaps that is just me .-P</p>

<p>-- "Using a 64bit OS to rename file names since the camera cannot count more than 10000 seems a bit silly to me but perhaps that is just me .-P"</p>

<p>See chapter 3.2 of the design rules for camera file systems (DCF) ...</p>

<p>http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF</p>

<p>... the 4 digit numbering is described there ... so, in order to comply with the DCF your camera is only counting to 9999.</p>

<p>I will change the 3 place prefix on the file names when I get past 9999. Right now I have my initials 'KB' plus a number which is unique to a specific body: So the numbers come out like: KB31234 and KB41234, etc. At the rate I'm going, it's possible I'll never get to 9999 before dumping the D3's for a smaller, higher MP body.</p>

<p>I see this as a non-issue. I reset my counter all the time and never use the out of camera filenames. I rename all my files on transfer using Photo Mechanic. All my digital images (both scanned and digital captured) have unique filenames based on the date and other information. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years without an issue regardless of what type of camera or source.</p>

<p>I never use the camera file names. DSC_3714 means nothing to me. I can't tell what the picture is from the file name. I use Downloader Pro to put a meaningful file name on the picture. You can't tell the picture from the camera file name without a translation database. Much easier to change the name at download time.</p>