Are you in love with your Lensbaby?

elnoralouisa

<p>Ok, after wanting a lensbaby for a few years, I broke down and bought one. I bought the Composer which is the newest generation of it. I bought it after I heard a podcast by one of the Lensbaby gurus. For those of you who have it, you know that there is basically no instructions with it. I thought, ok, attach it, and use it. NOT!<br>

I asked a simple question on the lensbaby forum on the lensbaby website about what distance the camera should be set it when it turns on and asks. The answer was that I should be researched all of this before I bought the lens. I guess it's supposed to be 50mm. Also, I didn't realize you had to go into the custom menus and change setting for the apeture rings.<br>

I also didn't know about all the new optics. Do I really need those? I really wanted this as more of a 'fun' lens, and didn't realize life was going to get so complicated, but yet some people think they are the best thing around.<br>

So....what's your opinion???</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As far as I'm aware, it's about 50mm, so set your shake-reduction to that. Having to enable use of the aperture ring is necessary for ALL lenses that do not have an 'A' setting on the ring, so it's not something particular to using a LensBaby.</p>

<p>I have the 2.0, but have used it very little, which is a shame. I keep meaning to take it out for a long spin, but just never do. I think the good thing about the Composer is that it stays fixed in one position, right? Something the 2.0 doesn't, making its use with a tripod and remote release pointless.</p>

<p>There are minimum instructions with the LensBaby because there's not much to say about them, really. You just go out, look through the viewfinder and wiggle the LB around until you like what you see. Then you take the shot :-)</p>

<p>We have the Composer, we do not use it nearly enough, but yeah, we still love it. There is a trick to using it - and as near as I can tell it's practice practice practice. :D<br>

Matt developed a trick after a couple days I like - and have yet to try. He basically puts the sweet spot on the object he wants in focus - in the middle of the frame, gets focused, then he holds the LENSBABY still while moving the camera itself around to frame the shot the way he wants. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also didn't know about all the new optics. Do I really need those?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure what you mean by that - if you elaborate, I'd like to run that past Matt and come back w/ a better answer. </p>

<p>Mis is right - Matt's answer to focal length was "It's about 50mm" as he waggled his hand. Emphasis on the about, so go with it.<br>

It really truly is a "fun" lens. Lots of fun - now I want one for the video cameras, but that's on the order of pipe dream, I think. Just get out there and have fun fun fun.</p>

<p>"I also didn't know about all the new optics. Do I really need those?"</p>

<p>Lens baby offer number of add-ons to the composers. They are: <a href="../optics-single.php">Single Glass</a>: This is a single element lens like the gen 1 lens baby. CA like crazy. You swap out the double element 50mm lens on the composer and put this in its place. <a href="../optics-plastic.php">Plastic</a>: If you want more CA and fuzzy (aka: Holga looks), this may be for you. <a href="../optics-pinhole.php">Pinhole / Zoneplate Optics</a>: An easy way to try pin hole camera and a way to empty out your wallet. Zone Plate are star and moon shaped templates so you feel better spending $40 on a tony piece of plastic with a hole on it.</p>

<p>The 'Optic Swap' system lets you put lower quality optics in the lens for more 'artistic' variables. The composer comes with the doublet, which is the sharpest option. Those who like the Holga, or 'Lomographic' look might gravitate towards the single glass or plastic optic. You can also put in a pinhole optic...</p>

<p>I put the f/5.6 aperture in it to give me a little more tolerance with the 'sweet spot.' Especially if you are shooting something like a wedding where there are no re-dos, you are better off with a little less special effect to make sure you get the shot. The smaller the aperture, the bigger the 'sweet spot.'</p>

<p>This is the second time in a week someone has hit something I had planed to write extensively about. I guess some astrophotography or stereography questions should be coming soon...</p>