D700 hot shoe problems

dmcgphoto

<p>Have had similar issues with both my D700s. Sent one to Nikon. Took them 5 weeks. It came back squeaky clean, and completely nonfunctional with flash at the very first event I used it at. All they did was 'reset' it and said it was fine. I have another thread regarding that, but here is the post is just put there.<br>

"Much happier camper now! Instead of sending my camera back to Nikon, I found an authorized service center and called them. He explained why he wanted my flash so well, I sent him both my SB900s. Then they called to verify that the hotshoe was indeed defective and my flashes were in perfect shape, fixed it and sent everything back to me with a 7 day turnaround!!! Could not give a higher recommendation to Isaac at Southern Photo in N Miami Beach, FL!! Actual personal service from the actual person who looked at my camera, and likely fixed it too. Invaluable:)<br />In the meantime, I tried a Demb flash bracket on the other camera. I forgot it was even there! I did not shoot with a cord, just used my on-camera flash to communicate with it. Worked beautifully. Camera feels well balanced and that bracket only weighs 7 oz or something. Didn't even notice it. HIGHLY recommended. I will be buying a second to keep on both cameras at all times. Got that recommendation from someone on here. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!"<br>

At Southern Photo, they were completely upfront regarding the known issues with the D700 hotshoe. He said it is something about the metal(he was more specific, it just went over my head) not grounding properly and that Nikon is perfectly aware of it. Makes me mad. This should be a recall, not an emergency $250 fix, IMO. Nikon needs to step up. However, I am very glad to have found a flash bracket that solves the problem and dependable, fast service from an authorized dealer I can count on.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have this problem with my D700, SB-800 and SB-900. I test the Nikon water guard WG-AS3 and problem don't appears again for last six weeks (1000 shots) . I hope this fixs the issue almost with my SB-900. Thanks for information. I'll Test it and report any change.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>I am having exactly the same problems, I have 2 D700 bodys and one seems to be less affected , but it is probably only a matter of time, I thought it must be the flash so I just spent over £300 on a new Nikon 910. it is doing exactly the same thing, strobing at inappropriate moments and then switching back to 100 asa and not firing at other times, seems to work again when I unlock the hotshoe and wiggle it so came to the <br>

same conclusion as you that it may be the hotshoe connections. just written to Nikon for advice, will see what they say, but I may take it to an independent repairers in london if I get no joy from Nikon.<br>

So frustrating but glad to hear that its been happening a lot to other Nikon D700 users and not something silly I am doing. I do quite a lot of events and it always seems to go wrong just at the critical moment.....</p>

• 2 months later...

<p><strong>How to replicate the problem</strong><br /><br />I had similar issues as described here with my D700. Things like</p>

<ul>

<li>Stopped working just before the bride came up the aisle</li>

<li>Flash not firing and autofocus assist light showing up in the photo</li>

<li>Crazy strobing</li>

</ul>

<p>Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove fixed it for me for about $250. Most of the cost was for labor. I had considered hammering the foot, but something internal was the problem so hammering wouldn't have helped at all.</p>

<p>What was extremely helpful is that I was able to replicate the problem and determine the problem was with the body and not with the flash units.</p>

<ul>

<li>Put camera on the tripod</li>

<li>Mount flash</li>

<li>Activate AF assist lights and wiggle flash</li>

<li>The AF pattern on the wall makes it easy to see how much play is in the foot. Some play is complete normal.</li>

<li>I was able to duplicate my the misfiring issue by shooting frames while wiggling the flash unit.</li>

<li>Repeating the setup with a different camera body did not replicate the problem, even though just as much play was visible in the AF pattern on the wall.</li>

<li>Therefore, it was time to send my D700 in for service.</li>

</ul>

<p>Hi Tom,<br /> I'm a pro photographer using two d700's and solved this problem some time ago. The problem is the flash (SB900) is too heavy for the d700 hot shoe and eventually pulls the hotshoe until it causes a fault on the body.<br /> I bought a water guard for the body and the extra support it gives to the flash solved the issue for me. You can get them through Amazon. £20 (UK), $29.95 (US)</p>

<h1>Nikon WG-AS3 Water Guard</h1>

<p>Kind Regards<br /><br /> Dave Finchett<br /><br /> </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Fort what its worth, I have a nikon D700 and use a SB-800 flash gun.<br>

a few months ago in the middle of a shoot my flash started to strobe. Never happened before. I was using a Nikkor AFS 28-70 2.8D lens. Immediately after the flash started to flicker, my lens' auto focus feature stop working. I changed lenses and all three flash, new lens and same D700 body worked fine. Nikon repaired the lens and I've been using it since.<br>

Just last night the strobing again happened. This time I was using a Nikkor AFS 80-200 2.8D. No problem with the lens or flash or body after that strobing. I turned the flash off and started using it again then worked fine.<br>

Did my flash cause the 28-70 silent motor to go or did the lens cause the flash to strobe? are any of these problems related? I'd say it is the flash to camera compatibility.<br>

Any thoughts?</p>