Australia Camera Recommendation

edward_chang1

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm traveling in Australia for 3 weeks in August and I'm trying to figure out what camera to bring. I'm deciding between my 30D or buying a G10. I know the G10 doesn't work as well with high ISO, but it's advantage is that it's small and compact. The 30D will get me better pictures, but it's also larger. So here's my question. Go with a G10 or a 30D. And if I should go with the 30D, what lenses should I bring? The options are 50 1.8, 17-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 200 2.8, 100 macro, and 75-300 IS. I plan on going to Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, Hamilton Island, Brisbane and perhaps Tasmania. Also, any bag recommendations? I have the Lowepro waterproof 100, but I think it's too big and would probably get something else if I'm taking the 30D.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Ed</p>

<p>Take the G10 and enjoy the time ... since your plan is to be mainly in the cities, the range of the G10 (28mm - 140mm in film equivalent) should be sufficient. (and even for your 30D you wouldn't have anything wider).</p>

<p>The 30D with the 17-35 + 24-70 + 70-200 is tempting ... but heavy and bulky compared to the G10.</p>

<p>I was once on a trip to the Yucatan with a Nikon set-up with a bunch of lenses. At some point in the trip, the only Nikon body I had along packed up. Fortunately, I had brought a little Rollei 35 35mm zone-focus camera and flash. Took the rest of the trip with the Rollei. Now, many years later, it is really hard to tell where the Nikon pictures left off and the Rollei began. It made me very conscious of the possibility of traveling in the future with a couple of Rolleis and not lugging all that gear around.<br>

Yet, I never actually did that, because in the end, I wanted my pictures to be the best I could do, and that was made easier with a mix of wide-angle to telephoto lenses, as well as my still-beloved 35mm PC-Nikkor perspective-control lens.</p>

<p>If you go to Australia frequently, go light. If this is a rare trip, be like the old Boy Scouts: Be Prepared, carry the load.<br>

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer, you know.</p><div>00Tqsr-151457584.jpg.e379fa04e660c64160214bcf4971a559.jpg</div>

<p>G`day, I travel a lil bit in Oz (problably cause I live here) If you`re flyin round and just havin a pleasure trip g10 + a lil speedlight should be fine, from what I see g10 is very capable, a while back I flew to Perth, 2 seperate flights 1 Briz ~ Melbourne 2, Melb ~ perth. I was glad I took an A640 instead of a heap of gear. The flight to Melb was an hour late and we had 5mins to the connecting flight, one side the airport to the other about 1 kilometer. As we were running the sole on my shoe gave way, lucky with the lighter weight I kept balance, then with all the awearing we got pulled up for a bomb check, No big white bazooka`s in the bag. but just made it to the plane.</p>

<p>I enjoyed using the lil cam, easier to use on the buses and around town with no extra lens changes and constant where did I put that in the bag? I would have liked a g9 but they had not arrived so got the 10meg A640 with a WA adapter, g10 is a bit wider. Still if yours a once off you might have a harder dicision, I even did not mind an ocassional movie clip with this lil P&S now it goes everywhere with us, Here`s a hand held pano of Perth, blownup you can read the signs on the buildings no worries..have a great stay in Oz ;-)</p><div>00TqyT-151525884.jpg.5701917bc3fd49e429eb391872c41377.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Chris, any suggestions on where to go/see in Oz? So far, I'm going to Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, Hamilton Island, and Brisbane. Any other must see places? <br>

I might make it back to Australia some time in the future, but for now it's just a one off. May take the G10 since it is so much lighter and less gear to carry/worry about.</p>

<p>Hi</p>

<p>you know, for not a lot more you can get a Panasonic G1 and it will be easily equal to the G10 ... plus you could stow a used FD 100mm f2.8 lens and adaptor (quite compact) and have a reasonable telephoto to boot!</p>

<p>In Australia while you are at Brisbane, try to go to O'Rieliys mountain retreat ... its a day outing, but you'll love the birds. If you can't make that then while in Brisbane duck to the Gold Coast and try the Bird Sancturary</p>

<p>But like rainer says ... its a big place to see</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Places to avoid in Australia would be Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane :-) Honestly if you've seen one modern city you've seen them all. You'll see the same traffic, smog, shopping centres, Mac Donalds and KFC you will find anywhere else. My biggest dissapointment when I visited China last year was the proliferation of Pizza Hut, KFC and Mac Donalds everwhere totally ruining what used to be a great place to visit.</p>

<p>Use those cities as a launching point to go somewhere interesting :-) If you have time, hire a car and avoid 'tours'. Drive around Sydney and Melbourne. Try to get lost and get out of the car and walk around. That was how I found the real China.</p>

<p>For camera gear, I would take the SLR and two lenses - you pick which ones. If you take a P&S you will regret it later.</p>

<p>Graham.</p>

<p>Hamilton Island is pretty but remember it is a tourist resort where kids can stay free, so expect lots of kiddies. Cairns can be interesting even now.</p>