Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

<p>Teresa the canon lens that you are considering has got to be one of the best bargains that I have ever seen for a canon zoom lens. I have a lot of canon glass and I didn't want to buy this lens with the 50d body that I recently purchased, but since it was only $50 more dollars with the kit I decided that I could always sell it on ebay if it was junk but to my suppirse it was quite a nice lens in fact I was amazed at how well it performed. You will not be dissapointed with this lens it is the perfect upgrade for you just try to get it at a good price and believe me you will be more than happy. Do not worry about the wide angle shots for now you can address that later with another lens. I think this is the perfect lens for you at this time and I am sure that you will love it. Repost and let us know how things work out. Michael</p>

<p>You might find the Tamron 2.8 Trio to be more interesting. All are 2.8 across their focal ranges.</p>

<p>17-50/2.8</p>

<p>28-75/2.8</p>

<p>70-200/2.8</p>

<p>Start with the middle one. After you've had for a month or two, ask yourself what direction you're missing the most. Do you more often want a longer or a wider lens? Buy that one next and then go for the third one as funds permit. You may also want to get a 50/1.8, 50/1.4 or 85/1.8 later on as a fast prime for portraits.</p>

<p>I have the older 28-105 non-IS lens and it stays on my XTi all the time unless I have a specific reason to change it (i.e. I want wide, macro or telephoto). In fact, I use it pretty much exactly the way you anticipate using one. I would think the 28-135 IS would be even better since it gives you a little more reach and IS. Just think of it like a 50 on a full frame that you can zoom in if you need it to. No, it's not wide and no, it's not particularly long, but if you're using it for candids and portraits, I think you'll like it. I would think that if you ended up with something longer on both ends, you'd still be photographing in this range most of the time. That said, I can't comment on the build quality or image quality because I don't have that exact lens, but everything I've read has pronounced the quality above my 28-105, and my lens is perfectly usable. I've considered upgrading to the 28-135 just to get the IS, but I just can't justify the expense now for such a small upgrade. If I were buying it over again, though, I would buy the 28-135. I have seen a lot of these lenses for sale locally, brand new/still in the box because they came as part of a kit and the photographer didn't need it. May be a way to pick one up at a bargain.</p>

<p>I bought my 28-135 new nearly 5 years ago along with my first DSLR, the 300D Rebel. It stayed on my camera more than the kit 18-55. Back then in 2004 the lens was highly regarded when I did my search of the 'net for reviews. More recently I have a 40D with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS and the 28-135 saw occasional use on my film bodies.</p>

<p>Now, the 28-135 is mounted on my new 5DII (bought used with only a few shots on it). The 5DII is an amazing camera and I'm finding that the 28-135 is holding up quite well. That said, I will be looking to buy a new 24-105L just prior to a trip to NZ in October so that I can get it tax free. Until then the 28-135 is doing very well indeed...</p>

<p>BTW the reason I'm going for the 24-105 is because its a little faster than the 28-135 and it goes to 24mm.</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>

<p>I agree with Terry, I have and absolutely love my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 which I use on a 5D Mark II. It is an extremely sharp lens and I have compared it side by side the famous canon 24-70 F2.8L and it held up well. There is no comparison between an F2.8 lens throughout vs a variable aperture lens. In other words, when you zoom in on on item it will get darker because you are loosing two whole stops of light. That is complicated to do while trying to frame an object and change shutter speed at the same time.<br>

For the money the Tamron is an excellent lens, has a 5 year warranty and will w</p>