Panasonic firmware update locks out 3rd party batteries

<p>The no-name battery is very likely a) identical, b) produced by the same manufacturer who is under contract for the name brand, and c) probably made in Shenzen. Brand-name batteries seem to me to have as many publicised overheating problems.<br>

There is a justification for not buying the cheap battery: it's easier to get a refund/swap/compensation from the brand name. That it is low cost and comes from somewhere in China that you can name is not a good reason to avoid it.</p>

<p>Panasonic claims this is a safety measure, though as Michael says, experience suggests that 3rd party batteries are identical to the manufacturers' badged batteries except for price. More likely it's an attempt to discourage their consumers from buying the cheaper battery.<br>

I'm not in the market for a Panasonic camera but this would put me off.</p>

<p>Take a look and see if your battery (and Panasonic OEM battery) has a serial # or at least a lot #. Otherwise, how could a bad battery be traced or verified. I've seen Minolta, HP and Sony put serial #s on (vintage) OEM digital camera batteries. Don't know about Nikon or Canon OEMs. </p>