photo.net Wish List

<blockquote>

<p>I agree that the ratings system, as is, is more of a feel-good game than a useful tool.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is what it is. you cannot learn much from a set of numbers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Perhaps the system could open a dialog box immediately after a rating (number) is given. The rating would then not apply until a short comment (10 - 20 words?) is given to explain/justify the rating.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That won't happen. The point is to seperate the two systems. Not integrate them further. You want words and thoughtful responses (in theory), use the critique forum. You want numbers and a general "do people like this?" type of response, use the ratings system.</p>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>How about adding an extra "archive" flag to each image so that if we tag a photo for archive, it's like a deletion for all intents and purposes as far as viewablity in our gallery but it retains the ratings and comments history for our own private viewing? As our galleries get bigger, I was thinking we can archive some images and shove them off into some archive folder. Thanks.</p>

<p>Like Ton, I would like to see some new categories for submitting photos. Often, I have photos that I think would nicely come under a category such as "story-telling." I often photograph more than one person or even one person but the point is not a portrait but rather the overall story being told. Very often, I photograph a group of people in an activity, not a portrait, not street, not particularly documentary in the traditional sense. I hate putting that stuff in "Fine Art" because often I don't think of them that way. "Fine Art" is a good category because it can accommodate a lot of different genres and subjects but it does put a particular spin on the work that I don't always want to convey. A few more, just a few, categories like that might be helpful. Two that I would suggest are simply: Groups; Storytelling.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<blockquote>

<p>How about adding an extra "archive" flag to each image so that if we tag a photo for archive, it's like a deletion for all intents and purposes as far as viewablity in our gallery but it retains the ratings and comments history for our own private viewing? As our galleries get bigger, I was thinking we can archive some images and shove them off into some archive folder. Thanks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can already essentially do this by making a folder and marking it as "hidden" then moving those images into it. We don't have completely "private" galleries on PN, as we are a photo community and not a gallery presentation or photo storage site. But using the hidden folder feature will get those images out of your general gallery view.</p>

<p>Regarding the requests to update some of the critique forum categories:</p>

<p>This is a tricky thing, because once you start, where do you stop? There are always going to be a few people who want more and more specific categories ("why not a 'cats' category? I don't like my cat photos being ixed with 'dog' photos). So we have kept the categories purposefully broad and inclusive.</p>

<p>However, the time has probably come to update them. However, I was waiting until we had the image tagging system in place (which we now have) and the critique forum updated (which we are working on) as I think we can solve a lot of problems by allowing people greater search options when looking at the critique forum. If people used the tag system properly, a viewer could say "I want to see images in the 'portraits' category, but I want those limited to images that are tagged with the word 'film'." Or some such thing.</p>

<p>So, the short answer is that I'll put it at the front of my brain to go with the rest of the changes I'm trying to get made to the critique system. But it won't happen right away and no matter what categories we choose, prepare for some of you to be disapointed. As this is one of those things where a few of you are going to be annoyed that you category idea wasn't picked while another was. I have to draw the line somewhere or we'll have 500 categories with 2 images in each. Then again, I guess everyone could be at the top of the ratings/critique system if we had only 2 images in each category. "Hey honey, my image is the second highest rated of all time in the '3 legged cats with pink noses' category on photo.net!"</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how about being able to post video tutorial?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As photo and video get closer and closer, I'm looking at how video can be integrated into PN in some ways. At the moment, we can't allow embeding of videos into the forum due to the HTML used to do that embed. We need to do some protection programming so that the same HTML can't be used for malicious intents.</p>

<p>However, anyone who has taken the time to create a video tutorial of something should contact me via email as there is a very good chance that it could be turned into an editorial article that we could promote via the newsletter and use the "comments" area that is at the bottom of every article as a sort of "Q&A" session.</p>

<p>Excellent! Im working on a serie, or try to start working on a serie i should say..i will give you more info Josh for sure. Small 2min clipping, helpfull, all level i think..beginner, intermediate, advanced..regular color management, printing subject and digital darkroom.</p>

<p>Now how about a lifetime membership, silently remove years ago ; )</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now how about a lifetime membership, silently remove years ago ; )</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At the price it was offered, it just didn't pencil out financially for us. Sad to say, but some days things have to be looked at in terms of money-in and money-out. I love the history and community of PN as much as anyone here. I've been around the site for very close to a full 1/3 of my life. But it's a business, and it needs to be successful if it is to keep moving into the future.</p>

<p>Well i will take 2-3 to make sure : )</p>

<p>Keep up the excellent job my friend, i come here because i like the way it look, ...basically because of everything i could use! I wish you could have a deal also with some Canadian store and insurance companie...</p>

<p>I could say that the PN team make this site really enjoyable, thanks for all your good work.</p>

<p>I would ask PN to avoid anonymous because these lead to nowhere, sometimes people who rate low might have no idea of what photography is. <br>

Second , an icon to the best photographer in different categories and <br>

Third , to be able to send e mails to different users at the same time, have a nice day //Salvador </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would ask PN to avoid anonymous because these lead to nowhere, sometimes people who rate low might have no idea of what photography is.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Neither the site nor the ratings system has a "you must be this _____ good to enter" sign on it. Anyone who wants to join the site may do so and anyone on the site is welcome to comment or rate on them. If you want only "expert" commentary or ratings, you need to pay for a portfolio review through a photographer who does that sort of thing. Because that isn't what photo.net is about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Second , an icon to the best photographer in different categories</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's one of those things I would consider if I hadn't just wateched years and years of pathetic cheating by some of the very people who would least expect to do so. Some of the best photographers on this site are some of the most childish when it comes to ratings.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Third , to be able to send e mails to different users at the same time</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be too easily abused by spammers, cheaters or other troublemakers. The email system will stay the way it is.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wish people weren't so snarky and sarcastic around here. It's really discouraged me from participating in forums.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a tough thing. Too much moderation makes people angry and too little makes people leave. We do our best on both accounts, but we are realistic and know that we can't win every battle.</p>

<p>I read all the wishes on this post with interest, and as i am a newcomer I couldn't think of any until just now! If it's not too much trouble, how about a link at the bottom of each forum thread that takes you back to the top in one go? Some threads are very long, and while I'm not complaining, (I love PN!) just wishing, it would be great just to be able to jump back to the top of the page so I can use the forum link. I hope that this makes sense, and that it is not too much to ask given all of the above suggestions. <br>

Cheers, Anthea</p>

<p>I find integrated chat attractive because I never log into Windows Live Messenger anymore.</p>

<p>Even if I did, the comfort of having your contacts and favorite pages to surf in one location is pleasant. In addition the convenience and speed of integrated chat may encourage communication and relationship development between photo.net members.</p>

<p>I'd like to see daily statistics on which pages hits on my photos are coming from. This feature exists on Flickr and has allowed me to figure out if people are linking to my photos on their web pages without permission (all I usually ask for is an attribution). It's not infallible -- for example, if someone downloads a photo and then uploads it to their site, it cannot detect that. But the ability to detect the use of links to my photos is far better than nothing.</p>

<p>And I think this would be a perfect feature for adding value to the subscription (no subscription, no statistics).</p>