photo.net Wish List

<p>We all know the admins and developers are too busy as is. But purely hypothetically, what features would you most like to see delivered by photo.net next?</p>

<p>I'll start.<br>

<br /><br /><br>

1) A second ratings summary that's limited to anonymous scores. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the mother of all answers for mutual backscratching. It's an overview of ratings that are, in general, more likely to be genuine.</p>

<p>Also, from a technical perspective, this may not be hard to accomplish. One extra condition added to one database query.</p>

<p>2) A page that lists which of your images have been marked as a favorite by others. Not that any of mine ever would. But good photographers may be interested by this feature.<br>

<br /><br /><br />Thanks,</p>

<p>Cal</p>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>1) More tutorials by, for example, "favorite" photographers explaining how they go about achieving various interesting effects, and a more accessible wiki system so answering questions in the forums can be more about linking and less about reinventing the wheel countless times.</p>

<p>2) A forum supporting more "serious" critiques for those brave enough to post there, with some sort of filter to exclude dilettantes--perhaps a word length requirement.</p>

<p>I think this thread is going to make me sad. I already feel like there's never enough time in the day.</p>

<p>But list away, I promise you that I will at least consider each of them. I can't promise that we'll actually do them (or that I'll even sit here and debate each). But I <strong>am</strong> listening.</p>

<p><em>some sort of filter to exclude dilettantes--perhaps a word length requirement.</em></p>

<p>From what I've seen, many very-experienced and active photographers can often provide an insightful critique in a short sentence or two.</p>

<p>I'm interested in reading wish list suggestions from new members. Those of us who have been here awhile have a different perspective. Maybe we don't see things the same way. I know I've tended to be a bit dismissive of suggestions from new members, which may be the consequence of being too familiar with photo.net.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Josh, Mike, Lex, what do you think about my silver bullet for mate rating? Has potential or should be dismissed?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I see your point, but I think the most likely way to be successful at eliminating the effects of cheating in the ratings system is through increasing the average number of ratings per image (thus reducing the importance of any one rating) and using programming math to discount the value of ratings given by/to cheaters. Computers are a lot better at this sort of thing than humans. They aren't emotionally involved in the outcome.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some way to get rid of the information bubbles that pop up on the "Photography Forums" page.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ask and ye shall receive (if it happens to be easy and quick ad we've got a minute). If you are logged in, you shouldn't see the bubbles now. You <strong>may</strong> need to log in/out for it to take effect.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Josh, a lot of people would love more ratings, but how can this be accomplished easily?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think we're just going to eliminate the "take but not give" people from the system. Via one method or another, if someone isn't taking the time to give ratings, they will end up having their ability to request ratings limited or eliminated.</p>

<p>I was thinking of suggesting this to Josh but since you asked......</p>

<p>I would like to see a photo.net app for the iPhone and other smart phones. By signing in once, it could be customized the way we want to view the forums, photos, etc. Not only would it be nice to keep up with PN during the day but it would bring in many more members.</p>

<p>Yeah I know, Josh, easy for me to say but much harder to do. Just a thought....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>An RSS feed to the unified forums (but may be a little difficult), or at least forum specific RSS feeds.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We used to have those, then they got all broken a few years back and weren't fixed. But I know we are re-doing some RSS stuff on the site that will include more forum and editorial feeds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would like to see a photo.net app for the iPhone and other smart phones. By signing in once, it could be customized the way we want to view the forums, photos, etc. Not only would it be nice to keep up with PN during the day but it would bring in many more members.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. I agree. I would like to see a better PN setup for smartphones in general and the iphone in specific. We're looking into it, but it's a pretty involved process to get it right. We have a prototype iphone ap for rating photos working, but aren't sure what we want to add or change about it yet.</p>

<p>It would of course be interesting to prohibit the "take but not give" -approach and perhaps also limit how many images can be submitted in a given period of time. I wonder how well those things would work out, although I'm interested, maybe I could start to rate :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>2) A page that lists which of your images have been marked as a favorite by others. Not that any of mine ever would. But good photographers may be interested by this feature.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Calvin, that's what I'd like too!</p>

<p>I believe this was on the list of things to be done a ways back. I would love to have a list of where people are located to help us meet up with photographers that are somewhat local to your area. This would be voluntary - people would put their town/city only if they want to be involved. I met one local photographer just by chance and we have met to photograph and critique images a number of times, but it was only by chance that we discovered we lived nearby. I know the elves are very, very busy, but perhaps someday!<br>

Mark</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would love to have a list of where people are located to help us meet up with photographers that are somewhat local to your area.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is being worked on along with a calendar system to help members connect.</p>