Winning the War

<p>Not a question but a heads-up on progress in the Great British Photography War.<br>

In this week's British Journal of Photography (24th July 2009), there is a report on the judgement by the eminent Law Lord, Lord Carlile, in which he condemns the abuse of the Terrorism Act, 2000, by police.<br>

Lord Carlile states, "It should be emphasised that the photography of the police by the media or amateurs remains as legitimate as before ...". <br>

He further states, " Police officers who use force or threaten force in this context run the real risk of being prosecuted themselves for one or more of several criminal and disciplinary offences."<br>

There is to be a special report in the BJP next week.</p>

<p>There have been a number of cases where members of the public have photographed police assaulting members of the public (usually demonstrators). <br>

The police have responded by arresting the photographer using extreme restraint and distraction techniques (ie trussing them up and putting pressure on pain points on the neck etc).<br>

Watch the video: <a href="http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/film+raises+police+brutality+questions/3225227">http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/film+raises+police+brutality+questions/3225227</a><br>

<br>

The police seem to think they are the masters of society rather than their servants! </p>

<p>Three days ago I was in Atlantic Beach and happened upon a set for Jennifer Aniston's latest movie, bounty hunter. I was in the adjacent lot ready to capture a shot, as non-flash photography was allowed so long as everyone remained quiet. Until I whipped out my rig. I was then greeted by a member of the crew whom told me that a police office sent him to ask me to move off what was apparently private property (I was the only one in that lot). I told the man that I was not a pap or member of the press. He said I was allowed to shoot, just not so close. I asked where the property line ends, moved and swapped out for a longer lens.<br>

In this case the members of the set were very accommodating.</p><div>00TnZR-149415784.jpg.61a5bf2dde76be15cdfe52b8bb2a2355.jpg</div>