Help dealing with bride's demands

adrienne_kimmel

<p>I'm with Walter.... your discomfort will go into the lessons learned file; the poor groom is stuck with this bride until..... hmmm, whenever she wants to get herself a female groom, it seems. <br>

I suspect that this bride has gone down the whole yellow pages for a photographer and has been turned down by all but you. Run Adrienne Run!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"For the legal aspect: I do have a clause that if I fail to comply with the terms outlined in the contract, my liability is limited to a refund of money paid"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>First, my guess is that you won't be the first photographer to run away from this bride. That's probably why she was only 2 weeks away without a photographer. She probably pulled some similar stunt on another photographer already.<br>

Next, I don't interpret the above line in your contract the same way as you do. To me, it reads that if you don't perform up to standards and she takes you to court and wins, then the maximum you would be responsible for is the amount paid. If this were the situation, the amount you might owe would be up to the judge, NOT the contract. Also, if you simply return her money and leave her "high and dry", this could be a potentially serious problem. If you can get whoever signed the contract to sign a release and accept full payment as satisfaction of cancellation, then you may be OK.<br>

Aside from my opinion, PLEASE contact an attorney. Weddings are highly emotional and a crying bride in a courtroom is not a pretty sight. Do your homework....-Aimee </p>

<p>How much is she paying you and can you do without getting that payment. If the answer is yes, then just tell the bride that you cannot find a female photographer and she has a choice to have a male photographer or get her deposit back. Let her make a choice. You may be surprised that she will agree to male second photographer. You are expected to perform miracles. Now if she sues, you will have to show that that you tried to get female but none was available on that date. You said you tried so proving your diligence should not be a problem. Good luck. Sandy</p>

<p>Art Tatum's advice seems wise to me. Be sure of yourself in all your dealings, or you will never succeed in this business. When you are sure of yourself, and make your business decisions stand, then people will be more sure of you. When you hesitate, they will as well.<br>

<br /> <em>...a crying bride in a courtroom is not a pretty sight. Do your homework....-Aimee </em></p>

<p>Another excellent point. When everything is airtight contractually, that is the only time you won't have to worry about that.</p>

<p><em>Only if she can produce a copy without all of the crossing out.</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Why would you say its the only way there could be a problem when the client could simply produce no copy at all (i.e. it's lost), let the original (which has none of her initials) be used in court and claim the photographer did the cross out?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I know exactly what I'm going to do now. Thank you!<br>

On a side note, I definitely wrote this post in a flurry of panic. I worked for a wedding studio for a while, so I think I’m still trying to overcome that fear of flying solo. I need to learn to control that fear much better. Also, this has been my first experience with a somewhat demanding client. There is nothing inherently wrong with that (some people just know what they want), but it’s certainly a challenge to work with. I’ve learned that I need to learn how to work better and smarter with this type of client. <br>

Yes, the client is very particular in what they need and want. As a photographer, this can be difficult to handle. Yes, the client has some unrealistic expectations. This can be even more difficult to handle. These are not, however, things a reasonably person with decent communications skills can’t overcome : P <br>

Thanks again for everyone’s advice. </p>

<p>1- Never ever book a wedding with two weeks to go. That tells you something about the customer right there.<br>

2- Demanding a female only, wow is that not discrimination. You could get sued by the fellow you hired.<br>

3-Give a refund and get a signed release if you are able.<br>

4- My guess is you may be dealing with a bipolar person, if so my experience is you will lose big no matter what. <br>

Bob K</p>

<p>just a few words, RUN AWAY from this customer, be polite, but RUN AWAY.<br>

Apologize and offer to find/recommend someone else to cover her wedding. Find any available (good) excuse in the book, sick grandma, dog got hit by .... you already know... and politely refuse to work with her.<br>

Just my $.02.</p>