Any suugestions for Olympic National Park?

mark_poseley

<p>I suddenly have between two weeks to two months off paid! I am heading west again towards the Olympic Peninsula and probably down the coast to the Redwoods.</p>

<p>I have been to La Push many years ago but can I hear some recs on the Oregon coast? I intend to follow 101 south to Cali and take my tme.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Lake <strong>Quinault << must see, on west side of Olympic park towards the south, surrounding wilderness areas are very beautiful, 4 miles loop trail across from lodge is excellent</strong><br>

Oswald West SP : north Oregon coast, beautiful trail thru old growth spruce out to Cape Falcon<br>

Ecola SP: less hiking than Oswald, but some nice coastal vantage points, located just north of Canon Beach<br>

Gold Beach area of south Oregon coast = nicest area of entire OR coast, still looks like it did 20 yrs ago.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Lake <strong>Quinault << must see, on west side of Olympic park towards the south, surrounding wilderness areas are very beautiful, 4 miles loop trail across from lodge is excellent</strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

<br />Oswald West SP : north Oregon coast, beautiful trail thru old growth spruce out to Cape Falcon</p>

<p><br />Ecola SP: less hiking than Oswald, but some nice coastal vantage points, located just north of Canon Beach</p>

<p><br />Gold Beach area of south Oregon coast = nicest area of entire OR coast, still looks like it did 20 yrs ago.</p>

<p>It might be helpful to know where you are currently and how you will be getting there. There may be interesting places between you and the cost that would be worth a stop (if you are driving. </p>

<p>Some time ago my sister broaght me to Cascade Head in Oregon. A short trial from the road leads to a nice view of the Oregon cost. I don't remember how to get there but you should be able to get some information on it from Google.</p>

<p>The eastern Olympics offer high scenery with fast gaining elevation hikes-much drier than west side.<br /> Great distant views of the Cascades including Mt Rainer (might want to check out Rainer as well)..<br /> Western Olympics are forests of huge trees and big rivers running to the ocean. Every shade of green and more.<br />Overcast days offer beautiful well balanced lighting. Sunny days are for seeing the snow-capped peaks of Olympus etc.. <br /> Animals such as elk are heading into the higher elevations first of July on until Winter. Bald Eagles are more scarce but still around. Gray Whales are heading south to their birthing grounds in CA and can be seen all along the coast.</p>

<p>Another book suggestion: "The Photographer's Guide to the Oregon Coast" by David Middleton and Rod Barbee.</p>

<p>Two location suggestions: Second Beach near LaPush, WA, and Kestner Creek nature trail on the north shore road of Lake Quinault (by the ranger station; little known but very nice).</p>

<p>Apart from a quick mention of Hurricane Ridge and the drive from there along to Obstruction Point I'll leave the Olympic Peninsula to others who probably know it better than I</p>

<p>In Oregon, first a book. The Oregon Coastal Access Guide by Kenn Oberrecht and published by OSU will save you a heap of time. </p>

<p>Oregon is a great coastline for photography although at this time of year you might find more people than you'd like and more cloudless blue skies and glare than will be good for your pictures. I've travelled pretty much the entire coastline maybe three times since 2001. </p>

<p>Possibly my favourite areas are the stretch between Brookings and Gold Beach along the Samuel H Boardman State Corridor. But most especially the area around Pistol River/Myers Creek; and there are also good beaches /shorelines at Harris Beach and others too.</p>

<p>Bandon Beach and its sea stacks takes some beating for walking and photography, and the old Harbour mouth and lighthouse are evocative in the right conditions. Bandon is also a good base for seeing Shore Acres and the area around. </p>

<p>The view south from Ecola S.P. south to Cannon Beach is very good, though its a bit of a one-trick pony. </p>

<p>Overall this is a wonderful coastline for photography, with upwards of fifty great spots to stop and photograph. Interspersed with the beaches there are some gritty port communities such as Astoria and Newport (and Eureka in California) which I've also learned to appreciate. Just a couple of mild warnings. Firstly I've never had a single worthwhile shot in the redwoods in summer. I've found that even when the coast is grey and misty, by the time you get inland to the big trees its been sunny and useless. Second I've personally never enjoyed photographing the coast from the top of the big Capes, and much prefer to stay at or near sea level. </p>

<p>There's a few photographs on my website, in the "By the Sea" and "b&w Landscape" galleries. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Apart from a quick mention of Hurricane Ridge and the drive from there along to Obstruction Point I'll leave the Olympic Peninsula to others who probably know it better than I</p>

<p>In Oregon, first a book. The Oregon Coastal Access Guide by Kenn Oberrecht and published by OSU will save you a heap of time. </p>

<p>Oregon is a great coastline for photography although at this time of year you might find more people than you'd like and more cloudless blue skies and glare than will be good for your pictures. I've travelled pretty much the entire coastline maybe three times since 2001. </p>

<p>Possibly my favourite areas are the stretch between Brookings and Gold Beach along the Samuel H Boardman State Corridor. But most especially the area around Pistol River/Myers Creek; and there are also good beaches /shorelines at Harris Beach and others too.</p>

<p>Bandon Beach and its sea stacks takes some beating for walking and photography, and the old Harbour mouth and lighthouse are evocative in the right conditions. Bandon is also a good base for seeing Shore Acres and the area around. </p>

<p>The view south from Ecola S.P. south to Cannon Beach is very good, though its a bit of a one-trick pony. </p>

<p>Overall this is a wonderful coastline for photography, with upwards of fifty great spots to stop and photograph. Interspersed with the beaches there are some gritty port communities such as Astoria and Newport (and Eureka in California) which I've also learned to appreciate. Just a couple of mild warnings. Firstly I've never had a single worthwhile shot in the redwoods in summer. I've found that even when the coast is grey and misty, by the time you get inland to the big trees its been sunny and useless. Second I've personally never enjoyed photographing the coast from the top of the big Capes, and much prefer to stay at or near sea level. </p>

<p>There's a few photographs on my website, in the "By the Sea" and "b&w Landscape" galleries. </p>

<p> </p>