Just got the Nokton 50/1.1

Alex_Es

<p>An intriguing lens, Alex. Of course, it's difficult to evaluate sharpness on-line, but it looks promising. Would love to see more examples up close with out-of-focus backgrounds. Shots in low light with light sources in the frame.</p>

<p>This is an exciting new product from VC. I don't see myself buying a Noctilux any time soon, but it will be natural to compare the Nokton to the Noctiluxes, the Canon f0.95, and the Canon f1.2. What did you mean by a learning curve focusing the lens? And you will have to tell us if it's a lens you can be comfortable carrying around for extended periods shooting. Have fun! :-)</p>

<p>Would be interested in knowing which apertures you shot at, Alex. Obviously the guy in the olive t-shirt is wide open. The test will be if you can make those classic tiny-depth -of-field shots, as well as acceptable ones at 5.6, etc. BTW--what is the conversion factor on the m8?</p>

<p>If you go to the images on my Flickr site and click on All Sizes you'll have an idea of the sharpness of this lens wide open.</p>

<p>With the narrow depth of field focusing is tricky. It is made more difficult, of course, when the subject is not completely stationary. Taking all factors into consideration, including possibly camera shake, the sharpness is remarkable. I have nothing to compare this lens to in my experience except the Canon 50/1.2, which it blows away. I've never owned or used a Nocitlux 50/1, the Nikon 50/1.1, the Canon 50/0.09, or the current Nocilux 50/0.09.</p>

<p>It balances well on the M8 and does not block too much of the finder. It also goes well with my Zeiss Ikon ZM and RD-1s.</p>

<p>On the M8 I have not found the "tunnel vision" that super fast 50s are said to be prone to. Vignetting has been cut out by the M8's crop factor. At full frame it will probably appear. I'll be shooting 1600 ISO black and white film on my ZI and we'll see.</p>

<p>Here's Sawako looking professorial (f1.1). Click on the image and then go to Original to see it blown up.</p>

<p><a title="L1002023 by Alex Es, on Flickr" href=" L1002023 src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3671293071_37041a2828_b.jpg" alt="L1002023" width="1024" height="683" /></a></p>

<p>When you come to a set on Flickr, click on the thumbnails, then go to All Sizes. You get everything from small to super large.</p>

<p>As to where the Nokton can be purchased, I strongly recommend Joseph Yao a physician in Hong Kong who is a member of the Leica Users Group, and represents Voigtlaender. His prices are great and he can be reached at joseph@yao.com. Not only is he a teriffic guy, but he works hard to make things wonderful. Bests: vroger<br /> </p>

<p>Mine just arrived today, from Cameraquest.</p>

<p>I was shocked and dismayed to find that it was not packed in a black lacquered, satin-lined display case.</p>

<p>Other'n that, it's looks and feels pretty wonderful. It's built to the same standard as the 35/1.2, which to me seems as good or better than the Leica lenses i've owned. The aperture clicks are lovely. Focus is smooth and not too long in the 'throw.' It's a little bit shorter than the 35/1.2 and a little bit fatter. </p>

<p>On the Zeiss Ikon, there is close to no intrusion into the 50mm viewfinder frame at infinity, and only a small bit at the near range. Either way, it was so negligible that i didn't even think about it at first and had to go back to look for it when i started writing this. </p>