Need tips for nice outdoor shoot locations in NY/NJ

<p >I have been on some state parks but I was wondering if any one can share their personal experience in shooting in some interesting quiet rural and urban locations in NY/NJ state (and NYC) without need for permits or fees. I am looking for abandoned rail road tracks and roads less traveled in rural areas, unattended corn fields, streams lakes etc.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I would try the Catskills. There are some legendary trout streams such as the Beaverkill and Willewemoc. Nice vistas of the Hudson river from the West Point campus. Drive the Taconic State Parkway. Upstate NY is beautiful.</p>

<p>There are some great beaches on the south shore of Long Island<br>

Bear Mountain state park up a little bit - from there your next to West Point and also beautiful views of the hudson<br>

Central Park in NYC on a Sunday is unique<br>

In upper manhatten theres the Clositers - google it- Ita a park that has a midevil castle moved there from europe.<br>

Lake Placid and the lake george area.</p>

<p>Sandy Hook, NJ is nice. Sandy Hook Lighthouse (oldest working lighthouse in the US), Ft. Hancock, and the ruins of the shore batteries that protected NY harbor during WWII (no guns, though). Up the hill from Sandy Hook is Twin Lights, a double lighthouse connected by a castle-looking building. I think the north tower is still open to tourists (thick masonry walls, iron spiral staircase, great views). Interesting little museum, an old generator building, and huge fresnel lens from one of the lights. The foundation for Marconi's radio tower there where the first ship-to-shore wireless (radio) transmission in North America was made is also there. On a clear day, Long Island is plainly visible. Lots of photo ops.</p>