Custom Intervalometer/Auto Trigger

john_ashby2

<p>I'm in the process of developing an Intervalometer/triggering tool that with work with any Nikon body that's compatible with the ML-L3 remote (the ML-L3 is not needed). The basic functioning is you set a time interval and it triggers the camera at that interval. </p>

<p>My question is what sort of functionality beyond the basics would be of interest to professional photographers? It could have a break-beam trigger, or a microphone so a sharp noise will trigger it. As far as the user interface, it will have an LCD, but would you prefer a keypad to type in the delay or a knob to dial a delay? Would such a device be worth $300ish?</p>

<p>Thanks for any input you can provide.</p>

<p>The thing about custom building it is it does cost a lot more for off-the-shelf parts, but I have a lot more flexibility in what I can do. I could give mine wi-fi and then have it read CNN's RSS feed and take a picture every time it sees the word "photo" in a news headline. I know that would be really silly but I'm just giving an example of the amount of flexibility I have. The only limit to what I can have it do is my imagination (and unfortunately that seems like a pretty big restriction right now).</p>

<p>I guess my question was can you think of a more unique but useful feature-set that would justify the extra cost of a custom build?</p>

<p>John, most serious professionals are going to be using a D90, D300, D700, D3(x) or similar class of camera body - none of which will trigger from the ML-L3 IR remote. The chances are also good that anyone who owns an ML-L3 compatible body won't be willing to spend half the price of the camera on an intervalometer/ trigger.</p>

<p>I think you need to examine the potential market a bit more deeply before committing time and money to developing this gismo John. Especially since quite sophisticated timer remotes are available from Chinese sources for under US$50, including postage.</p>

<p>The OCR function sounds interesting, but I really can't think of an application for it outside of surveillance work. Even then, somebody's probably already developed a laptop computer or PDA application to do something similar. I know that you can program the IR comms port on a PDA to fire practically any IR remote-controlled device on the market.</p>

<p>Actually, my D90 does work with the ML-L3, but if the higher end bodies don't work with it, I'll have to rethink what I'm doing.</p>

<p>Considering how many exposures time-lapse takes, I'm not comfortable subjecting my D90 to the wear and tear, I'm thinking of buying a used D40. So I can see a pro doing that too.</p>

<p>But again, my goal is somthing much more sophisticated and flexibale than what is currently available.</p>