Do generic power packs exists?

robert_e.

<p>Hey all,<br>

This is my first EVER post on the site! Yiii-Ha!<br>

I'm looking to purchase my first studio strobe setup and really like the Speedotron lights but monolights seem to suite my budget better. Something that would help me out would be if there were generic, third party power packs available for for the strobes but I haven't really found any such options so far. If they do indeed exist, I'd love to hear some opinions on their reliability.<br>

Something that confuses me slightly is the existence of power and/or battery packs for monolights as well. Do they function as portable power units so that I can use the monolights in the middle of a desert? Or?</p>

<p>Thanks so much for any and all input.<br>

Best,<br>

Rob</p>

<p>When you say "power pack" in relation to studio strobes, it means two different things. In connection with monolights, it usually means a battery powered AC supply to supply 110VAC. In connection with "pack and head" strobe systems, it generally means the power supply, capacitors, etc. that is embedded in each monolight.</p>

<p>It seems you mean the first. Paul Buff Vagabond II battery supplies seem to be compatible with most strobes because they put out pure sine-wave AC, pretty indistinguishable from what comes out of the wall. There is at least one other brand of battery powered AC supply.</p>

<p>There are no generic power packs for pack and head systems because the requirements and wiring is different. There are however companies that will modify some heads to work with certain other manufacturer's packs. But I don't know the speficics.</p>

<p>Monolights are easier on the budget, but not by much. On the other hand they are heavier, and generally less powerful then pack and head systems.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>Thanks so much. I wasn't clear enough, then again it is 2 am. My main question is regarding pack and head systems, NOT monolights that have power packs "built in".<br>

So a Vagabond II would work fine with Speedotron black line strobes?<br>

Thanks for the input. Would love to hear about any other options.</p>

<p>Speedotron Black Line Strobe heads MUST be connected to a Speedotron Black Line power pack to function. There is no alternative. You can plug your power pack in to a Vagabond for portable power, yes, but pack and head systems must have both the pack and the head. The Zeus heads will still need a Zeuss power pack-the Vagabond is simply a power source, and does not contain the capacitors and circuitry needed to run a light head.<br>

Hope that clears things up a bit. A slightly cheaper pack/head system option than Speedotron may be Novatron, or Speedotron Brown Line-they lack a lot of the nice features of the Black Line system, but for casual use, they will work just fine.</p>

<p>Nathan,</p>

<p>The Zeus packs allow for a 1:1 or 3:1 ratio of distribution, but each light is adjustable in a five stop range. Allowing for a great range of ratios in lighting. The Zeus system is far from lacking in options. The two head max is a restriction, but the price for four heads and two packs is fairly equivalent to any other less adjustable single pack/four head system.</p>

<p>As for the Speedotron Brown Line systems, they were more than good enough for casual use. Pros used these pack/head units for very high level imagery! To say they are good for only casual use is a slap in the face for a tried and true system. The Black Line is certainly a better system, with it's fan cooled heads, but the Brown Line is no slouch! Even a Photogenic pack AA01 still has a following, if you can get a full four light system. Photogenic will still service these old systems. Knowing how to USE the lights is where the skill of the photographer comes in. Newer systems make it easier to get to the end point, no doubt. But skilled users can use even the basest of equipment to get masterful results. So discounting an older system is just admitting to a lack of skill. It's not the hardware, it's the equipment installed in the photographer's head that matters.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Zeus packs allow for a 1:1 or 3:1 ratio of distribution, but each light is adjustable in a five stop range. Allowing for a great range of ratios in lighting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is not accurate David: the pack is adjustable in a 5 stop range. Each light has no control for power, as is standard for all pack and head systems. So you can reduce the overall power, but you are still only have a 1:1 or 3:1 ratio. No other AC powered pack on the market comes w/ only two ratios and two plugs.</p>

<p>Previous discussion that should be read, to save a lot of reposting the same stuff-- you'll note:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00O1U3">http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00O1U3</a></p>

<p>In your statement about getting two packs for the price of one, you have left out a very crucial piece of the puzzle. You want 2 packs when shooting, it gives plenty of options. However, you don't want 4 or 5 for most applications. Each pack draws amps, which there is a finite amount of on your circuit. This is why, other than the Zeus, the only brand name power packs w/ 2 plugs or less are battery powered.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So discounting an older system is just admitting to a lack of skill.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not true either-- while I whole heartedly agree that it's the skill that produces a good picture, in a discussion about equipment it's a discussion about equipment. If we introduce the "skill get's you there" argument, then we will end up talking about window light-- which is fine if it wasn't actually a dicussion about strobes.</p>

<p>I personally would perfer buying a 400ws Blackline pack, over a bigger brownline pack. The reason is the heads will still be usable when I upgrade packs later in life. Just my opinion though.</p>

<p>I started with Brownline and immediately sold it and bought Blackline equipment. You can get a very good setup fairly cheap on the auction sites. Older 102 heads are running about 100.00 to 150.00. 202s will cost ya more. They have added more bells and whistles to the new packs, but the old ones are just as good. Monolights will let you normally dial down the exposer for each pack/light and you don't have cables all over the place. Some even come with Pocket Wizrd receivers built inside. It all depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend. Monolights will have the "pack" built into them. If you are thinking of a generic pack that would work with lights from many companies....those do not exist. As said before, all pack/light systems are unique unless it has been modified. I have seen Norman packs modified to work with Speedotron lights. Why are you against monolights? They are quite flexible and not a bad starting off point.</p>