the CP-E2 with 1600 mAh ones. Is this a problem ? If I don't have 10

identical batteries, in which should I put the better ones ? Does it

matter at all ? How do I know it's time for recharge ? When charge

times start to lengthen ?

By the way, the 550EX came without it's manual. Is there an online

one ?

Thanks ,

Yakim.

I assume the batteries are NiMH type. I use them in my 550EX and have found them to be excellent in that application. I have found them to be superior to NiCds as the discharge curve is more gradual and they don't have the memory effect. They are said to lose power faster then NiCds when not used but I have not noticed that. They supply consistently fast recycle times until near exhaustion. So charge them when recycle times become noticeably long. You might want to pick up an inexpensive battery checker at Radio Shack. Make sure you use a charger specified for NiMHs to guarantee battery long life. I would recommend you do not mix the the 1600mAh and 1800mAh ones; use one type in the flash and the other in the CP-E2. Also, you don't need to use the CP-E2 unless you're shooting a large number of flash pictures at one time, such as at a wedding. The 550EX recycle times alone are pretty fast, especially if you're operating in E-TTL mode.

AFAS a manual for the 550EX, contact Canon. I understand they will send you one for a nominal fee (about $7 US.)