usage of a digital lens in analog camera

<p>-- "a digital lens"<br>

There are lenses designed for cameras with a sensor smaller than 135-film. Those are marked as "DX" in Nikonland. While such a lens might (or might not) mount and work on a film camera, the lens will not have an imagecircle large enough to cover the complete film. You'll be faced with vignetting in its most extreme form.</p>

<p>Other lenses claim to be optimised for use with digital cameras, but they are nevertheless designed to cover film/a fullformat sensor (aka FX). Those lenses will not cause problems regarding the image circle. (There might be other compatibility issues).</p>

<p>The lens will mount just fine but you will see a circular image in the middle of the viewfinder and black all around. Some lenses like the 12-24 f4 can cover the full 35mm frame in the 18-24mm range. Which lens specifically do you want to use?</p>

<p>Also, I believe the F55 is an oddball that does not focus with AF-s lenses and doesn't support VR. Every DX lens that I know of except the 10.5 fisheye is AF-s so you'll probably have to focus manually.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"... b/c they have micro lenses inside them to help the light hit the sensor more evenly."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uhhh ... no they don't. :-)</p>

<p>They may designed/optimized so that the image forming light hits the image plane at a less extreme angle, but it's the digital <strong>sensor array</strong> (CCD or CMOS) that has micro lenses on the surface. There are no "micro lenses" inside any DSLR lens.</p>

<p>I don't know about Nikon but on Canon the larger mirror of the Film or full frame body will collide with the back elememt of the lens. This is because the "digital" lenses protrude a bit farther into the body. I suppose this could be the case with some Nikon lenses too, so I wouldn't recomend trying it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"... you will see a circular image in the viewfinder and black all around."<br /> This is what you will see on the developed photo NOT in the viewfinder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suggest you try it yourself because you're wrong. You'll see it in the viewfinder. I can put my 18-70 DX lens on my F5 and see a circular image with black all around at all focal lengths.</p>

<p>DX format lenses with produce heavy, very noticeable physical vignetting when mounted on my 35mm film Nikons. It's very clear in both the viewfinders and in print. This isn't the slight corner darkening due to light falloff (sometimes called vignetting, altho' technically it's a different phenomenon). The smaller image circle of the DX format lens will physically block the view, just like looking through a tunnel.</p>

<p>Reportedly a few DX format lenses will provide adequate image circle coverage at some focal lengths (12-24/4 Nikkor users report this) for FX or 35mm film use. But this is an exception. The 18-70 DX Nikkor will not provide adequate coverage at any focal length for 35mm film cameras.</p>

<p>I do apologize for my mistake. However when I put the 18-55 mm Nikon DX kit lens on my N80 I only see the dark circles in the view finder at 18 mm. Above 18 mm everything looks normal. Does this mean the lens will work properly on the N80 at focal lengths above 18 mm ? </p>

<p>I don't have an 18-55 so I don't know where or if it ever starts to cover full frame. As I said earlier I've used my 12-24 on film in the 18-24 range it covers the full frame. The F80/N80 viewfinder coverage is only 92% so the film will capture a little extra that you will not see. If you seriously want to use the 18-55 on film then just experiment with the cheapest roll of color print film you can find. Just develop only, no need to even get prints.</p>

<p>I don't mean to cause offense to anyone, but I am pretty surprised at some of the answers, I thought this stuff was common knowledge by now! Anyway, just thought I'd chip in and report that I had an opportunity to try an 18-200 on my F5 the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how usable it was - the light falloff was pretty bad on the wide end but it got a lot better as you zoomed out.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I don't mean to cause offense to anyone, but I am pretty surprised at some of the answers, I thought this stuff was common knowledge by now!"</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> That's why we have a beginner forum now. In a decade on photo.net and 40+ years in photography, I've learned never to assume anything. And I still hope to learn something new every day.</p>