HOWTO: Star effect on a Candle Light

<p>I would like to take a close up Macro image of a Candle Light. However I would like to generate Star effect as if Rays of Lights are emanating from the candle.<br>

I am contemplating the idea of Zooming in/out using bulb exposure.. however I am not sure if that is the effect i would be able to create..<br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>The usual way to get a "star burst" from a light source is to shoot at a small aperture. For example, the attached picture was shot at f/22. At larger apertures, the star points become less visible, and wide open they'll normally disappear (almost) completely. You can also get filters to do roughly the same thing, but I've never used one, and can't vouch for how well they work.<br>

<br /> I should also note that I've only ever done this with relatively small, bright light sources -- I'm not sure how well it'll work with a candle flame. For what little it's worth, with an even number of aperture blades, you'll get a "star" with as many points as the number of aperture blades. With an odd number of blades, you'll get twice as many points as aperture blades (e.g. the attached picture was shot with a lens with 7 blades, and shows 14-pointed "stars").</p>

<p> </p><div>00Tdlt-143657584.jpg.b2af12ea1e2dbbb0ba261c66ee8220d2.jpg</div>

<p>Incident light source and long exposure. I've seen the effect in a wide range of apertures; but the pictures all had incident light sources photographed at night. One interesting aspect of this is that the sensitivity is unimportant; it can happen with slow or fast films.</p>

<p>Similar example, bulb exposure, black and white film: http://www.photo.net/photo/9086479<br>

Bulb exposure, digital monochrome: http://www.photo.net/photo/8011261</p>

<p>Thank you all for your valuable input. Keith L, as you suggested the technique would not work with a candle. However if IDEAL conditions persists where the candle flame is very steady in studio conditions with Black backdrop .. then can the star effect be seen. I believe there is only one way to find out. I will experiment sometime tonight and let you know..</p>

<p> </p>