Overseas Nikon Dealers

fred_grandinetti

<p>Hi,<br />Before I take the plunge, a question needs answering. <br />If you purchase a lens from one of the Japanese Nikon dealers, who advertise on eBay, are you actually purchasing a "gray market" Nikon lens, which I assume Nikon USA won't repair. The lens would have to go back to the selling Nikon dealer in Japan for any necessary repair work? I'm considering the purchase of a "used" lens that does not seem to be available here in the USA.<br />Thanks in advance for your comments.<br />Fred</p>

<p>Are you sure the seller is an authorized dealer in Japan? I doubt it because Nikon won't be happy to see its authorized dealers sell to the out-of-market. And, yes, I think you are right that Nikon USA won't repair. But if the seller "guarantees", then it could be repaired by whoever the seller likes if you ship it back safely. I am not sure Nikon Japan honors warranty for the second owner - at least, Nikon USA warranty is only for the original purchaser.<br>

But on the other hand, since you can't locate it in USA, you may take a chance, of course!</p>

<p>I bought a Nikon lens while I was in Malaysia, from an authorized dealer there. He was careful to warn me that if there were problems with the lens, I'd need to send it back to him or to another authorized dealer in Malaysia. He didn't want to make the sale if I was uncomfortable with that. My lens was new, not used. So if I have problems down the road, I've gotta send my lens to Kuala Lumpur. Since the shop had been in business a long time, the guy knew his stuff and seemed pretty trustworthy, and because I really wanted that lens right then and there, I went ahead with it.</p>

<p>I would think that if you are working with an authorized Nikon dealer in Japan, they would be willing and able to disclose their warranty, repair and return policies. Ask before you buy, is my advice.</p>

<p>Hi<br>

I bought my F 5 in Malaysia and it came with a 2 year Nikon International Warranty.<br>

I had no problem when I returned to Canada and it needed some adjustment. Nikon Canada honored the warranty.<br>

Perhaps Nikon does not have their International Warranty any more? <br>

eb </p>

<p>As long as you have the original purchase receipt and the Nikon wordwide warranty card for the lens (this card comes with every new Nikon lens as long as it was imported through the Nikon-approved party) you can have it repaired by any authorized Nikon repair shop within the warranty period, including Nikon USA. An item is gray market only if it is imported to the country of sales by an unauthorized party.</p>

<p>Digital products, i.e. bodies, scanners come with regional warranty only. Also, if you buy a lens imported by Nikon USA, and have a US address you can access the 5-year warranty. Normally Nikon's worldwide warranty 1 year only, but this is a "minimum" that you get everywhere. Other countries have their limitations (i.e. in EU the importer is responsible for manufacturing flaws at least 2 years from purchase, in some countries 3; this overrides the warranty supplied by the manufacturer and by the way also overrides the Nikon claim that DSLR warranty is regional only).</p>

<p>What I have a hard time understanding, especially when it comes to new is: Isn't all Brand spanking NEW Nikon Cameras and lenses made by Nikon? If this is so why should it matter where you obtain it from as long as it is a legitimate business. Of course I don't want to see stolen equipment on the market anywhere so I am NOT talking about anything like that.<br>

If it is a real Nikon then Nikon should stand behind it .... Yes/No?? and ..... if NO then why not.<br>

I'm just trying to understand this.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Phil, to put in simply, each country's agent would have to protect its own market. So if you are in US, Nikon US would naturally try to protect its agents and one of the ways is to limit the warranty. Imagine how your local agent would feel if Nikon US treats every country's warranty the same? It gives little incentive to buy anything locally then.</p>

<p>Anyway, I think Nikon US would still honour an international warranty but the terms are usually different. It could be that the item would only have six months warranty or so.</p>

<p>Fred, I am not sure how much savings you will be making but does Nikon US not offer a five year warranty? If that is the case, unless the savings is huge, otherwise it may not make that much sense to purchase from overseas.</p>

<p>The international warranty for Nikon lenses is one year.</p>

<p>Nikon wants to maintain different prices in different markets. This is one reason why they dislike the gray market. Another of course is that Nikon make less money if they don't import it themselves.</p>