Tripod or Monopod OR Tripod and Monopod?

epp_b

<p>Joseph, any particular reason you recommend staying away from Benro?</p>

<p>I actually took a look at Benro's Canadian website and found what appears to be a decent set of carbon fibre legs for just over $200 CAD. But I've found no reviews and no indication on the company's reputation.</p>

<p>Unless it turns out that Benro has the deal of the century, I think what I'm going go to do is buy the 190XProB, which I know is sturdy enough to last me a long time, and also buy a OpTech neoprene tripod strap to make it easier to carry.</p>

<p>Paul, you say "I'll never understand why anyone would want to use a monopod."<br>

Well, there are occasions when it is a better tool.<br>

Where I live there are sessions called "Dancing in the park" -- open air dancing on grass. It is a fun evening with many people milling around. Trying to use a tripod would be ridiculous in that venue. The monopod gives you enormous (but not absolute) stability with freedom to relocate quickly.<br>

Last weekend I was shooting an International rugby game. I was in the stands in the very top row with a long zoom. At first I used a tripod with the two front feet extended to rest on the seating plank of the row below me. However every time someone twitched their ass, the board flexed and the view through the lens oscillated like a drunken sailor.<br>

I switched to the monopod resting on my footboard and stood up on my seat plank and the view was 100x more stable.<br>

You use whatever tool makes sense for the environment you are in. There are few absolutes.</p>

<p>Epp, If nothing else, there are plenty of places where you might want to shoot where a tripod just won't be practical - e.g. some public spaces like museums, rail stations, whatever - won't allow a tripod - but you can get away with a monopod. Now a monopod will never be as good as a tripod - they're not really interchangeable - but in the right circumstances with the right technique, it can be a useful tool. For a good brief overview of proper monopod technique, see http://www.nikonians.org/monopods/what_monopod_3.html. BTW - although it may be counterintuitive, an inexpensive swivel tilt head, like the Manrotto 234RC can be useful to help you deploy proper technique AND get the right angle. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks, I understand that they are different beasts with different capabilities and shortcomings.</p>

<p>I can tell you that definitely <em>need </em> a tripod as do I like making long/night exposures, shooting fireworks, etc. A good monopod is a lot cheaper to come by later on if I decide I need one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'll never understand why anyone would want to use a monopod."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I forgot to mention above that I've also got a Manfrotto monopod, the model number escapes me but it's the one with the pistol grip for quickly extending the tube and a 1 way head so I can drop it into portrait mode. <br>

It's been very useful when I was shooting rugby tournaments and needed to take the weight off my arms during a very long day. And (this is before this newfangled VR stuff) it really helped with I had the 70-300 at 300mm on a 1.5x body (D70). Shooting indoors in auditoriums where space is at a premium it's been indispensible. I actually look for opportunities to use it (admittedly they're more rare these days).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Dosen't Adorama sell what appear to be so very sturdy tripods that won't bust your wallet?</strong> </em></p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>That are also light? I doubt it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>this is the flashpoint CF pod i linked to earlier. $150, 2.6 lbs, supports 9.9 lbs. i dont know about 'so very sturdy'. i'm almost positive the manfrotto 190 is a lot sturdier and it definitely has a better build quality. the weight of the 190 is just light enough to lug but not light enough to lug for a very long time. of course, you can get a pack with a tripod holster and sling it that way.</p>

<p>i'm very happy with my 190, although there are times i would like something lighter and less bulky for more casual use.</p>

<p>for a d40 with a 55-200 i dont think a monopod would be good for anything but swatting at muggers.</p>

<p>The review I read of the Flashpoint (<a href="../equipment/tripods/carbon-fiber/flashpoint-1128">right here at Photo.net</a> , as a matter of fact) says that it's pretty good except for the comparitively wobbly fourth leg sections and some annoying quirks with the centre column.</p>

<p>Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the 190XProB with 486RC2 head and saved about $30 by buying it as a kit. I also bought a OPTech tripod strap, which should make carrying the tripder a lot easier; it looks really cushy :)</p>

<p>I have an old, but still very good SLIK tripod, but I have to admit, even with 500mm mirror lenses, I still prefer a monopod. They are light, and give you far more mobility. Mine also has a wire "step" on the bottom of it, that folds out of the way if you don't need it, which adds to it's rigidity. Now if you are going to do a lot of studio work, well, then a tripod is a must. But for outdoor stuff, it's a monopod for me.</p>

<p>to reiterate the monopod question.....their original design intent was to hold long lenses. And the monopod is attached to the lens NOT the camera. And their primary use is for sports, motor races....ie. anything where you need the mobility to move around, to pan, to shoot a different area of the scene very quickly, but still have a reasonably stable platform for sharp pics.</p>

<p>They really are not a repacement for a tripod....ever. Oh, you can use it if you want to outside it's original intent, but a lightweight tripod is best if you are trying to reduce weight. I bought a Slik Sprint Pro for those times when I didn't feel like carrying my Manfrotto heavy weight. I knew it wasn't the most stable tripod in the world but when I read Galen Rowell's method of using his lightweight Gitzo (one that I wanted, but could not afford) by never extending the center column and never extending the bottom flimsy legs....and using large rocks, etc. to gain height, I decided to to give the Slik a try. Weighs 2 lbs with head, and can hold 4lbs (which is what my Mamiya 7 w/65mm lens on it weighs). works great that way.</p>

<p>Monopods and tripods are two very different beasts. A good tripod will allow you to get very long shutter speeds, and very stable shots with all of your lenses. A monopod will give you a couple of f stops worth of extra exposure if used correctly. I have both, and use both.</p>

<p>You owe it to yourself to search the internet for the proper use of monopods. Most people just put the camera on top of one, and use it straight up and down. This is the most inefective method of use. It will easily tilt in 4 directions. If you put the base about 30 degrees in front of you, and push into it a bit, you will have a MUCH more stable platform. </p>