Canon or Nikon

<p>Hi everyone, newbie here. This is my first post so I'll go with a short introduction first.<br>

I quit photography, due to divorce, back around the time digital was first taking off. All my experience is with film cameras. I have shot with a Sinar 4x5, a Nikon 8008, and Hasselblad. My main interests are wildlife and landscapes, but I have shot a few weddings for friends and through word of mouth. Got good feedback on the weddings. I also did some portraits and had a set of White Lightning studio flash. I don't have a whole lot of experience with that, though.<br>

I'm going to be retiring in a couple of years and want to get back into photography with the idea of doing some occasional weddings for extra income. I've been reading a lot of posts here and some of the equipment reviews. I'm having a real difficult time deciding on which manufacturer to go with to start building a professional system.<br>

I want to start with a cheaper camera body to get back into it, but am not going to skimp on lenses. To tell the truth though, I am a little intimidated by digital cameras and all the options. There seems to be a big learning curve to make us of all the functions on them. I mean, other than the autofocus on my Nikon I pretty much did everything manually.<br>

Besides weddings, for my own personal photography I still want to do landscapes and I like to shoot things like airshows and wildlife when I can.<br>

So what's the verdict? Is there really a big difference between the two systems or are they both about equal? What do you pros on here use? Thanks.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>[[ I'm having a real difficult time deciding on which manufacturer to go with to start building a professional system.]]</p>

<p>This is a needless distraction. Both systems are equally capable of allowing you, the photographer, to produce the images you want.</p>

<p>All other discussion is noise. Both manufacturers have a host of high quality lenses. Both manufactures have quality camera bodies at various price points. Both manufacturers have long-term goals in mind. </p>

<p>Buy the camera you can afford and the camera you feel most comfortable with. It's really just that simple. This is a great time to be a photographer. :)</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>Welcome to Photo.net<br>

One of the first things you should learn to use is the search button.<br>

This topic comes up no less than a couple times a week, and has been discussed over and over again.<br>

Here's one from just yesterday<br>

Lots of info by doing searches.<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00TbBe">http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00TbBe</a><br>

Good luck</p>

<p>In simple truth, the Canon systems are much better, the lenses and the choice of lenses are better, and the operating system is much more rational.</p>

<p>Of course, the Nikon systems are also much better, the lenses and the choice of lenses are better, and the operating system is much more rational.</p>

<p>As a local farmer put it sometime ago, "it don't make me no nevermind" so just choose and go with it.</p>

<p>And do learn about search. This falls into the category of FAQ.</p>

<p>I've got tens of thousands invested in Canon - back in film days I owned Nikon. <br>

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought Google stock at $5. and then I could own both. Or better yet, retired and wouldn't have to take photos for a living ever again.<br>

The answers are correct, one is better this month, the other is better next month - take yer pick. A few months ago I did a hockey shoot with a friend who has all Nikon. We traded cameras for 30 min. just to see. After 30 min. we both equally decided that we both hated the other guy's camera. <br>

Get the picture?</p>

<p> John I did do a search, but didn't find anything. Maybe I used the wrong parameter. So, basically you're all saying it's an either/or proposition, which is kind of what I figured. Guess I need to go play with some and see what fits me best.</p>

<p>David,<br>

There is only one person that can tell which is best, Canon or Nikon, and that person is you. Much of the "my camera is best"-noise comes from people who want to be assured by the group that they have bought the right camera. The psychologists have a name for that state, but never mind.....</p>

<p>You do not by a camera, you buy a system. If you intend to shoot many High ISO images, many would say "buy Nikon" There are surely other "common truths" about Canon as well.</p>

<p>When I bought digital for the first time, I had experience with both Canon and Nikon analog cameras. I decided to go to the photo store, look and see which camera which for me was best to hold and to operate. My desicion was Nikon, but you may feel that a Canon is best in your hands. It all depends.</p>

<p>What I want to convey, is that whatever brand you decide to go for, you cannot go wrong when you consider the system, the camera and last, but certainly not least, the quality of the lenses. I think you should go for the camera that feels best in *your* hands to hold and to operate.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you intend to shoot many High ISO images, many would say "buy Nikon"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe this month? Definitely not a year ago, possibly not next month -- Yeah, you got the message David. I still use film Nikons and love my digital Canons. It's just a matter of taste. The systems are so neck and neck that first changes all the time.</p>

<p>I think the main reason I posted this was from talking to a camera store sales guy and telling him what I liked, wildlife and other action stuff, and he said Canon was the only way to go. I was always a Nikon fan so I wanted to ask people here who use their system professionally to see if their was a "best" system.<br>

Thanks for the replies, all of you.</p>

<p>Go to a camera shop and hold the cameras that interest you. Which ever one fits you the best and seems the easiest to shoot with is the one you want to buy. If the camera doesn't feel good in your hands, you'll hate it. Any of the DSLRs that are available today will make great pictures. I shot Canon film cameras for over 30 years but when I went digital I bought Nikon. I liked the ergonomics better than the Canon line and the menu system was more logical to me.</p>

<p>David, it is all a matter of flavor. I use both Nikon and Canon at work, in image quality don't see the difference, but I like the Nikon feel. See if you can get your hands on both cameras that you want and how you feel holding them. Also find out about return policy if you buy one so perhaps you can trade it over if you don't like.<br>

Adam.</p>

<p>I'll just add to what's been said here. Comfort and handling are one of the most important considerations. When I was hunting for my first DSLR earlier this year, I looked at the Canon 40D and Nikon D90. I hated the feel of the D90 in my hands, but the 40D fit my hands like a glove! This is what sold me. I had no previous allegiance to either brand.<br>

Similarly, none of the entry-level models (from either Canon or Nikon) felt good in my hands. I hated the XSi and D60. However, I should mention that the Olympus E-510/520 felt great. If it weren't for the crummy Four Thirds sensor, I would've gone with Olympus!<br>

If you start with the semi-pro models, I have no problem recommending the Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D700. You might also consider the D300, though this camera is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.</p>