Advice needed on AF 80-200mm f2.8D lens

k_s_wong

<p>Hello all. I'm currently considering buying either 80-200mm f2.8D lens or 70-300mm VR lens. I rarely shoot sports, so for general photography (kids/portrait/landscape/travel), which would be a better lens (AF 80-200mm f2.8D or the 70-300mm VR)? Advice appreciated.<br>

My local camera store has a used 80-200mm f2.8D lens for sale and I went there and took some test shots with it (using a D300). I noticed that there is visible purple fringing (is this chromatic aberrations?) in the photo taken at 80mm end, and is much less visible for photo taken at 200mm end. Can someone with experience using this lens advice if this is normal for this lens (i.e. will I get this type of purple fringing even if I buy a new lens?), or is it caused by a defect in that particular lens I tested?</p>

<p> </p><div>00TbYY-142401584.jpg.babd3614bd4156460afe81a5d89848aa.jpg</div>

<p>Hmm...interesting...I have the opposite experience with my new 80-200. Clean at 80mm, CA at 200mm. But I've never seen any CA in the center, and never as bad as what you show. I see some CA in the corners on an FX camera from about 180mm to 200mm.</p>

<p>I would look at a new lens and compare, but I suspect there's a problem with the lens you're considering.</p>

<p>KS,<br />The CA you are showing seems fairly pronounced. I have had a version of this lens for over 12 years and have not seen this degree of CA in the center. Perhaps that is why the particular lens you have been looking at is for sale. You might try another copy. Wish I had a better answer. The review of this lens on photozone.de shows some CA at the edges at the long and short ends of the zoom but to an acceptable degree (around one pixel). I hope to eventually upgrade to the 70-200 vr model for action but have been very happy with the performmance of my 80-200. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>For general shooting, I'd prefer the two ring 80-200mm f/2.8 over the 70-300mm VR. But the decision is up to you. Now that you've handled the 80-200mm, is the weight going to be too much? Are you going to miss the extra 100mm range the 70-300mm gives you? If the answer is no to both, then I'd buy the two ring without any hesitation. I did, and love it.<br>

<br /> As for the CA, I'm surprised to see it that pronounced. Like Kuryan, my copy of the lens is worst at 200mm but decreases the closer I get to 80mm (when I have a chance I'll check my lens to confirm this is the case). By F/4 the CA is almost gone, by F/5.6 there's none at any range. That lens sample you're using looks particularly bad, and other 80-200mm's will likely perform with less CA. It is a known issue with the lens, blue/violet CA wide open, so it's important to keep in it in mind before buying the lens.</p>

<p>For me, the only time I'm shooting at f/2.8 200mm wide open (where CA is noticeable) is for shooting headshots outdoors. For that purpose, I've yet to notice any CA coming from skin tones. The only time I've noticed it is if the person is wearing white, and the white is close to blown out.</p>

<p>The purple fringing on my 2 ring 80-200mm is only at the corners and even then it is much much less pronounced than what you have found. I have no explanation why you have it so bad beyond saying try another copy of the lens and see if it goes away. I wouldn't buy that one at all.</p>

<p>The light intensity of the reflection from the car is quite high and could be stronger than what the sensor can handle. The effect seems more like blooming than CA.<br>

Not knowing the situation it seems impossible to me to judge the effect.<br>

The fence in the very upper part of the image seems fine with no apparent CA.<br>

You need to shoot more scenes to really get an opinion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>i own both these lenses. i too experience some purple fringing with the 80-200, but nowhere near as bad as your example. (as an aside, when i wrote nikon to ask about it, the tech responded that i should buy a lens with ED glass!)<br>

the 70-300 is my most-used lens on the D300, mostly because of the long reach yielded with the crop sensor. for its focal length it is extremely light and easy to handle. the caveat is, it only works really well under good light.<br>

the 80-200, on the other hand, is the lens i go to when shooting under more challenging conditions, or when image quality is paramount -- for example, weddings.</p>

<p>Looks like the fence detail has been eated by the strong backlight. I`d say that backlight exceeds the dynamic range of the camera, check the hystogram. If so, I understand Walter is right, this is sensor blooming.<br /> With sensor blooming into account, purple fringing could be <em>way more</em> noticeable.<br /> <br /><em> Have you checked if your shot at 200mm have the same exposure level?</em></p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.<br>

Walter / Jose - This is the first time I come across the term "sensor blooming".. thanks for sharing the info.. I'll try to find out more about this on the internet.<br>

As for the exposure level, both the 80mm and 200mm shot are at 1/2000s , f2.8. But I do not see purple fringing on the 200mm shot?</p><div>00Tc9L-142713684.jpg.3ba04152881dbb3a9529ae0c4b3e5680.jpg</div>

<p>There is also fringing in this pic... check that greenish contour in the right side of the ball, purple on the left.</p>

<p>Anyway, it looks like this ball received less exposure than the other one. Here in this pic seem pretty normal to me. If you have a pic with the same ball, same exposure, taken at 80mm and looks similar, I`d say the lens is OK.</p>

<p>I`ve already checked photozone.de charts to know what they say about it on this lens and looks like CAs are near the limit of one pixel at both ends... they are considerably lower at middle focal lenghts (135mm). Check <a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/252-nikkor-af-80-200mm-f28d-ed-review--test-report?start=1">Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED - Review / Lab Test Report</a>.<br>

<a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/252-nikkor-af-80-200mm-f28d-ed-review--test-report?start=1"></a><a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/252-nikkor-af-80-200mm-f28d-ed-review--test-report?start=1"></a></p>