Javier's K1000 -- the tour continues!

r.t. dowling

<p>I am pleased to announce that Javier's K1000 is back on U.S. soil and is just one step away from being back in Javier's hands. It arrived in the great state of Maine today after spending some time in beautiful Quebec.</p>

<p>My personal postal inspectors insisted on checking it out before they would allow me to use it. Have to rule out any potential threats, you know...</p><div>00Tbk8-142493584.jpg.61e16690c39f38906cd984df773a408a.jpg</div>

<p>That was my feeling as well. I haven't actually spoken with Javier yet, but Rose has been in touch with him and indicated that he wanted it back. In the meantime, maybe there is another forum member with a film SLR who would be willing to "sponsor" a similar tour...?</p>

<p><strong>OK folks, I've just spoken with Javier and he would like the K1000 tour to continue!</strong></p>

<p>A few quick items I would like to mention:</p>

<ul>

<li>I discussed this with Javier and he agreed that we should only use UPS or FedEx for shipping the camera. This is not because there is anything inherently bad about the postal service, but there is much more likelihood that the package will be subjected to x-ray radiation when it is shipped with the postal service. X-rays and film do NOT mix! This risk is lower when using UPS or FedEx.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>I don't know who else was on the waiting list for the camera, but since I'm in Maine, I'd like to give first priority to someone who is in New England or the Northeast. It doesn't make sense to have the camera zig-zagging back and forth from one side of the country to the other; let's try to organize this leg of the tour so that the camera goes to people who are somewhat close by. (This also helps to minimize shipping costs -- UPS and FedEx rates vary by distance and are lower when shipping to a nearby state than when shipping to a distant state.)</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Be sure to let us know when you've received the camera and when you've sent it on its way to its next destination. Posting photos of the camera in your locale is a nice idea, too.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>I'll be loading the camera with a 36-exposure roll of Kodak's new-and-improved TMax 400. At 3 shots per person, 12 people will be able to participate in this leg of the tour.</li>

</ul>

<p>If you have any questions, please e-mail Javier. This is his baby, after all. :-)</p>

<p>aw man I would have liked it to have been sent back to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named just so that the roll of film can be processed. Then the camera could fired back up and start off a second tour... sort of like it docking with the mothership for awhile before it continues on with its adventure!<br>

ps- My mention of Javier as the Dark Lord/Lord Voldemort is by no means a reference that Javier is or acts like Voldemort. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan; loved the books, like the movies and wish I could fly a broomstick. Talk about the photos you can take from that viewpoint!</p>

<p>So, I'm gathering that I should wait on sending out the spottie until after the k1000 series finishes? <br>

Although, I will tell you that when my travelling camera departs - I think I'd change the rules on it ... I'm not thrilled with the idea of the film going through xray too often... so, when the next journey begins - I'll send out a camera with no film. Each person will be responsible to insert a roll of whatever film they want, and take the whole roll (in one-two weeks) - they should then develop the film, and post pictures of both the camera in it's visit - as well as the better shots that were taken from the camera on that leg of its trip. This will give each participant the chance to choose, film type, b&w or color, and iso speed... so that those of us that are taking pictures outside don't have to stress over what 400 ISO is doing on a sunny day. :)<br>

I have to warn you, I don't know how to work the meter on the spotties - I watch the lens get dark in the middle when I turn the aperture ring and don't have a clue where I'm supposed to stop. In this regards - that's what I love about the k1000 meter needle ... So, for all us new comers to this type of metering system... If the camera's going out there ... could someone who understands this bit - write an explanation on how it works?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rose - Your spottie should also have the needle like the K1000 and works in a very similar way except you have to do one little step before hand. There should be a switch on the side of the lens mount, the meter switch which you slide up. This then takes a reading of the scene and you should see the needle then move towards the plus or middle. Try setting your lens on the largest aperture, point it at something real bright and then slide the meter switch to on.</p>

<p>The fact that the screen goes dark is just your lens stopping down, and the fact that you can see it means you probably have it set on MAN. For the spottie, you can set it on AUTO and you won't see the screen darken. What is happening is that the camera will stop down to the set f-stop when the shutter is released, and so AUTO allows the user to take f8 shots and above without the screen darkening.</p>

<p>Anyways, the meter turns off when the shutter is released or you can slide it off if you want to re-meter the scene. </p>

<p>Actually, I'm not sure if you can keep the meter on and then change the aperture to see the needle move "real time". I have a spottie and just started to play with it when the battery went dead. I haven't been able to open the cover cause it stuck with gunk... really annoying... Could someone confirm if the meter can be left on and aperture changed?</p>

<p>And Rose, I'll use my broom for cruising thank you very much. I couldn't stomach the way those kids fly their brooms in quiddich :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the write-up, Sommana, I will bring out one of the spotties tonight and play with it and see if the needle moves n such... crazy I hadn't noticed one... or maybe I just didn't realize how to turn the meter on... anyway - I'll try it. <br>

I have two spotties (but one will need a CLA - has random sticky mirror syndrome) - very similar to the H3V that came as part of that 3 camera package. Yes, I know - I can't imagine what I'll do with 2 of the same camera, either. - but then, it'll make it easier to send one out as a traveler... :) </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"RT is this continued tour ONLY for people who have not had the camera yet?<br>

Or is this a second round for everyone?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My impression was that it was for people who haven't had a chance to use the camera yet. Once they've had their turn, then possibly it could go back to people who already had it, but that's up to Javier.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"the east coast was finished from that list. the middle states and west coast have not seen the camera yet."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>OK. So, does this list exist somewhere, and/or can those people who were on the list please speak up now? I need to know where I'm sending the camera after I'm finished with it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"aw man I would have liked it to have been sent back to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named just so that the roll of film can be processed."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I was originally going to do, but Javier said that he wanted the tour to continue, so continue it shall! I am going to have the film developed here in Maine, and then I'll send the negatives to Javier so that he can scan them and post the photos for all of us to see. The reason for this is because I don't want to send the film through the postal service yet another time, and sending it via UPS or FedEx from Maine to California is ridiculously expensive -- they charge the 1-pound rate for items under a pound, so it would be around $15-$20 just for this one little roll of film. It'll be easier / safer / cheaper just to have it developed here and then mail the negs through the postal service (the negs won't be harmed at all by any x-rays).</p>

<p>By the way, this is the second or third time that I've seen someone suggest that "he" should not be mentioned... is this another forum rule/guideline that I'm not aware of? I certainly hope not. (And I certainly hope that he'll come back to us, and sooner rather than later...)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"So, I'm gathering that I should wait on sending out the spottie until after the k1000 series finishes?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not necessarily. If you want to start the Spottie Tour now, I don't see any problem with that. Why not have two (or more?!) of these roving camera tours running simultaneously? I'm not speaking for Javier, though. The K1000 Tour is his project; I'm just the temporary babysitter of the camera and the film. :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ok, if that's the case, let me make sure that the meter is working on the spotmatic, and run one roll through it - if it passes muster - I'll have it ready to begin traveling for July 1st. <br>

I intend to put a super tak 55mm f 1.8 on it... not the 28mm f3.5 - since it's faster glass, it'll be more responsive to indoor pictures as well as outdoors. <br>

I won't take names yet. Let's make sure the camera's in good condition first. I'll keep you posted as well as post pictures from the trial film to begin the sign-up process.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll be loading the camera with a 36-exposure roll of Kodak's new-and-improved TMax 400. At 3 shots per person, 12 people will be able to participate in this leg of the tour.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's been two shots until now...so that would make it 18 more people? Do we have that many?</p>