Leica body first or lenses?

<p>Like many of you, I feel that buying into used Leica gear is not cheap. But I persist with my desire and dream of owning and using a Leica system.</p>

<p>I've realized that I can take one step into the Leica arena at this point. But in what stages would you recommend that I approach?</p>

<p>Should I first buy a Leica body (such as an M6TTL) and Voigtlander lens to start off with... and gradually grow by buying a couple of Leica lenses over time?</p>

<p>Or...</p>

<p>Should I buy a Voigtlander body and Leica lens (such as a 35mm) to start off with... and gradually grow by buying a Leica body and more Leica lenses over time?</p>

<p>A quick background: My experience with rangefinders is that I used an Olympus XA for 16 years when I first started off with photography at a young age. I enjoy the simplicity and beauty of the mechanics of a Leica. Currenly I am using a Pentax system with the Limited lenses (31, 43, 77) and a 20-35. I enjoy travel photography and like to work slow and methodically with a handheld meter and sometimes a tripod. I am also fascinated by medium format photography... especially the Mamiya 7II and Hasselblad 501CM.</p>

<p>Neither... instead buy a ZI and ZM lenses and don't look back :-)</p>

<p>If your goal is to experience "RF photography" then don't rule out the CV R3/R4 as keepers. They are not as robust as M's but they are good shooters. CV lenses are also world class. So, if you're willing to consider CV as possible long term keepers, then get an R3(a/m) or R4(a/m) -- depending on what FL you like -- and a good lens (Leica, CV, ZM or others) in your favorite FL.</p>

<p>However, if your desired end state is DEFINITELY to get into the BRAND, then you might as well get an M body now with a lens you can afford, and then get a Leica lens later. As with most people, you'll end up getting multiple lenses anyway.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm one of those guys who figures the lens makes the picture; the body is a pretty much a box. Of course, there are boxes with 3,000 parts in them (Leica) and those with 600 parts in them. But I think on balance, you will get a feel for Leica photographs by trying out Leica lenses first. <br>

It sounds like your style would benefit from high quality Leica glass. If I were you, I'd buy a Bessa R2 and a high quality Leica lens.<br>

For what it's worth, I used Leica lenses on a Canon Model 7 and Bessa R2 long before I bought my first Leica body. And I still use the Leica lenses on the Canons and Bessas.</p>

<p>I like the industrial construction, heft, and smoothness of leica cameras so I wouldn't want a Bessa. As a starter kit I would go for the M2 and a Zeiss ZM lens. Zeiss ZM lenses render differently than Leica glass but they are excellent in their own right.<br>

A little short on cash, try the Bessa (with AE) and a 50mm Summicron -- the later model, the better.</p>

<p>If you have a burning desire to own a Leica M body, then buy one now. You'll get one sooner or later anyway.<br>

You might consider a less expensive M lens to go along with it - say the 40 summicron, an older 35/3.5 summaron or user-grade 50 summicron. You can find those for $400 to $500 pretty easily.<br>

If not that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the CV lens line. That company is making many very nice lenses. And the 50 hexanon can be had fairly cheap. Never used one, but have heard many good things about it.</p>

<p>You did not mention if you had a budget. Buy a Leica M6 Classic (has meter) in the BEST CONDITION POSSIBLE. Then by a summicron. Very different than a medium format camera. Zeiss makes excellent lenses in Leica mount. The 50mm sonnar f1.5 is highly regarded for black and white. You question is a bit open ended and will garner many answers. </p>

<p>Lens makes the image and body is just a box, yes, but there is a big difference in the design and use of a body, and if you want Leica then you want a Leica. Leica lenses are in general a little bit better than most other lenses, but not nearly to the extent their price difference suggests. Voigtlander makes very good lenses for the M system, as does Zeiss (though the true German made Zeiss lenses are also expensive). There are some bargains in the Leica lineup, 50mm Summicron is one of them. Try to decide what 2-3 lenses you want to eventually own, and you don't really need more than that, and buy the most useful or cheapest first. I also started with a rangefinder some 30 years ago and will never sell my M6.</p>

<p>I own an M6 TTL with a 40mm nokton and summicron-c. I notice no real difference between the handling of leica-leica pair and the leica-voigtlander pair. I'd say go for a Leica body. Also, the 40-summicron can be found for the same price as the voigtlander counterpart; so why not go for an all leica system? There are rumors that the framelines on M6's are undersized. Meaning that when a 40mm lens is modded to bring up the 35mm framelines, they are still accurate. Either way, I'd really doubt you'd remember your exact framing; I dont.</p>

<p>If it's silky smooth operational ergonomics your are after, get a Leica M2, 3, or 4, use your handheld meter, and get one or two CV lenses. They will make very nice pictures. If it's the ultimate photographic print you're after, get a CV body and the Leica lens of your selected focal length. Yeah, you can get a Zeiss, but if you want a "Leica" image, you need Leica glass. Summicrons in any focal length make pretty special pictures.</p>

<p>i've never used a voigtlander body. i got into digital first (m8) before i bought my first film body, a used leica m6ttl from adorama. i've used both CV lenses and leica lenses on both bodies and i'd have to say that the voigtlander lenses that i've bought perform quite well. i'm using the 12/5,6 and the 35/1,2 and i'm very pleased with the results. of course, the CVs have a different way of rendering images but they are still beautiful images. i think you should get a leica body and a CV lens which does not have a counterpart in the leica lens line-up say the CV 15/4,5 or the 35/1,2. this way, when you do buy a leica lens, it would compliment what you already have bought from CV.</p>

<p>And now, for something entirely different.... I have an M6TTL, great camera. I hardly ever used any more. I prefer using my Leica IIc. I picked it up for 400 euro, with a f3,5 collapsible 50mm Elmar. I had it CLAed by Will van Manen at Kamera Service in Holland, and now it's like new. I you don't mind taking your time, you could do worse than this. Believe me, this is a Leica: build quality, smoothness of operation, precision. As for the lens: the attached picture wasn't even scanned at a very high resolution. I'm not saying you should follow me there, but it's an avenue you could consider if you want the Leica AND the lens. Good luck!</p><div>00TcOh-142845584.jpg.e300dc2a5f29a2572f0d42c514a7caa7.jpg</div>

<p>Well, there's a lot of ways to do this, but since the primary reason to shoot Leica is for their optics that makes it easier. I've seen some photos taken w/ Leica R lenses and the Leitax adapters/converters on Canon and Pentax DSLR's, and they look great. I used to shoot my Leica R 50 Summicron on $30 EOS film cameras. Total investment only about $275 w/ an adapter that had focus confirmation. Had to hand meter but it worked well. A Bessa R2 or R3 would give you an inexpensive body that could accept Leica M lenses or the LTM lenses w/ an adapter if you want to go w/ a rangefinder. Or just start where most people finish. Whip out the plastic and get an M7 w/ 35 Summicron.</p>

I just bought a just-CLA'd M3 and a collapsible 50mm Summicron for less than 800 dollars... If I'd settled for an M2 or another lens, I might well have spent even less.

Especially the older lenses are quite affordable on the well-know auction site, and if you go non-Leica, you're in for a steal...

<p><I enjoy the simplicity and beauty of the mechanics of a Leica.><br>

That sounds like a recipe for an M2 and a 50mm Summicron Rigid to me.<br>

Of course a M6-TTL is very nice, much newer, more lens frames and best of all... has a built in meter but do you need one?....<br>

<I ...like to work slow and methodically with a handheld meter...><br>

Either way on the body, the 50mm Summicron Rigid will do the job at the right price, gives great results and is one of the best engineered lenses ever made by Leica. <br>

Don't like 50mm? As other posters have said, a 40mm Summicron-C makes an affordable Leica 35mm lens possible.<br>

Happy Snapping<br>

Gadge</p>

<p>"I enjoy travel photography and like to work slow and methodically with a handheld meter and sometimes a tripod."</p>

<p>Then, the lenses. If you were working quickly, handheld, I'd say the body is more important.</p>