Which camera to take?

dean

<p>I'm going to a photo workshop at the Arhces National Park in Moab, Utah. I'll be shooting mostly digital with my D300, but I have a couple Hasselblads sitting around, and want to take one just to play with it. So, should I take the 503CX with a 60mm, or the SWC/M with the 38mm? I only have room in my bag for one camera/lens. I'm worried that the 38 may be too wide, but maybe you all have some input?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi Dean,</p>

<p>I just returned in late April from Arches/Canyonlands/Capitol Reef/Mexican Hat area. I took my Canon XSI, the 18-55, the 55-250, and the Sigma 10-20 zoom and my Rolleiflex 3.5f. I shot about 8 rools of Velvia 100 and several rolls of TMax 100.<br>

I have to say that the 55-250 never saw any action, but the 18-55 and the Sigma 10-20mm did all the work. Personally I'd get a slightly larger bag and do a combined digital/film shoot. There's an immense amount of territory just in Arches, but Canyonlands is equally impressive, not to underplay my other destinations. Film-based shooting as well as digital are both equally rewarding in that locale.<br>

Your biggest shortage may be time, I've found out, after several trips to that area.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Tom</p>

<p>Take the Hassy. Leave the Canon at home. The 60 is perfect. There is lots of room at Arches to move around. Take lots of film whatever you use. IMHO you will find the 38 not near as useful or creative as the 60. ND hard grad filters and a polarizer would be an asset.</p>

<p>If I had a Canon, I would leave it at home! But, I can't live without my Nikon. ;)</p>

<p>I think I will take both - I'll pack the 503 in my checked bag, and then when I am out shooting, I'll have room in the camera bag since I'll have one camera in hand all the time. . . My bag already weighs 26 pounds! We have at least one two mile hike, and I have to have my tripod too! I'm thinking I will regret all these cameras.</p>

<p>I am only taking 5 rolls of Velvia 120, but I haven't shot film in about 7 years! The ND filter would be great - have to check and see if a camera shop around here has an adapter so I could use my 77mm Hoya.</p>

<p>DON'T PUT THE FILM IN THE CHECKED BAG! It will get fried. Carry it in your carry on. Take more film, or you will certainly regret it. Be sure to bring a solid tripod.<br>

Talk to the workshop folks. Find out whether there are any other film shooters, but certainly bring the Hassy 503 with the 60, you'll get memorable image and you might just fall in love with the Hasselblad. The SWC is a wonderful camera but a bit specialized, especially if you have not been using it, it might be difficult to use effectively.<br>

While I like your idea of taking both systems, beware. Digital is often quite seductive, because it's fast and you get immediate feedback. On my last trip to Arches, since I drove, I took everything I own, too much. It was three film systems and a digital. Fortunately, on each hike, I took only one system, always film, the rest stayed in the hotel. Since I had been there before, I did ok. Usually it's best to take as little as possible and spend your time deciding what to photograph rather than which camera to use. I've made that mistake more than once but never seem to learn. Have fun, I wish I were going.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>TAKE THE SUPERWIDE. Period. Nothing can do what it can do and your D300 will easily handle all else. Having a Superwide Hasselblad available is like traveling with a blessing from the Pope. You never know now when you'll need it but when the time comes, you'll know for sure!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input, guys! I'm pretty excited to see the results from the MF. Thanks for convincing me to take both. :) And, I picked up a few more rolls of film today. I'll let you know how I like it once I get the film processed!</p>

<p>Id lose the digital and take both Hasselblads. I have the 60mm precisely for my drives up California's coastline Hwy 1 and it functions well as a one camera, one lens setup. </p>

<p>Years ago I use to lug my Hasselblad down to Costa Rica, then I changed to my Leica, and now I take both. The trick for me is carrying my gear in a small backpack, not a shoulder bag.</p>

<p>I did some shooting in this beautiful corner of the world and agree with the guy that stated that your problem will be time and not equipment. Depending on the final destination of your shoots yoill need to make tour mind. The hassy will be great if you intend to make very large very high quality prints. On the other hand this is a geographical area where small detail and huge landscapes coincide and If I was in your place I'd take a good 50mm prime, a good tripod and a remote or so shutter release, read a bit about digital stitching and go for it.<br>

If you need to do a lot of walking the MF equipment will be very heavy and left at the hotel.</p>