When I Convert My Raw Photos, They Are TIF Files...I want JPEGs!

<p>Hello all. I shoot raw files with my 40D. When I convert the Raw files, it saves them as TIF files. I want them to save as JPEGs. How do I do this? If I can do it on my Rebel, I can do it my 40D...right? When I try to save the TIFs as JPEGs it leaves the photo with streaks in it. Help Me Please?</p>

<p>As Mark asked, your software choice is important. For example, some programs (i.e, Adobe) may default to 16-bit but you are actually trying to save an to 8-bit JPEG. It may be as simple as changing your option to save as 8-bit instead if 16-bit but it is hard to answer unless we know the software you are using for the conversion.</p>

<p>Im simply using the Zoom Browser Program that came with my camera to convert the RAW files and I used photoshop to try and convert the TIF to JPEGS. I've had my Rebel XTi for two years and have never had this problem. They always converted to JPEGS. I got my 40D a week ago and it wont convert them to JPEGS..........</p>

<p>TIFF is just a standard image file format, usually considered lossless, and often used as an interim step between raw and JPEG by photo editing utilities that can't directly handle raw files. It's easy to convert TIFFs to JPEG.</p>

<p>For routine tasks such as batch converting TIFFs to JPEG, or down-sizing JPEGs for web display, try one of the freebie/donor-ware programs like Irfanview or FastStone. The latter, FastStone, also has easy options for adding text or log watermarks, borders with drop shadows, several other features that are handy for this purpose.</p>

<p>If I want a jpg from a TIF I just open it in PS (etc) and then</p>

<p>File > Save As > then click into the 'format' box to get a drop down menu of file types</p>

<p>Select the file type you want (jpg) then click Save</p>

<p>You will then have two files of the image, one a TIF and the other a jpg.</p>

<p>The reson RAW converts to TIF and not to jpeg is that jpeg is a compressed 'lossy' format while TIF writes out the information explicitly.. Jpeg loses information when manipulated etc whereas TIF. So TIF is an inherently better formt and for my better shots I always keep RAW or TIF files of them even if I have full size jpegs.</p>

<p>If you've converted from RAW to TIFF then the TIFF file is probably 16 bit. I use CS2 so this may not apply if you have a newer version but before you can convert to JPEG you need to change it to 8 bit.<br>

Image > Mode > 8 bit Then follow Colin's instructions of File > Save As > etc.</p>