TLR vs Folding

ron_b3

<p>Go for a TLR, if you're after portraits. Getting the focus right using a large aperture will be much easier on a TLR than with a folder. If you feel a Mamiya is too heavy for you then go for a Rolleiflex, for instance a 3.5F. If that's too pricey for you then go for a Rolleicord or a Yashicamat.</p>

<p>Some people love TLRs, others are not fond of them. In terms of weight though, Mamiya C220 and C220F TLRs with 2 or 3 lenses as a whole package is lighter than a comparable package from any other interchangeable lens medium format system other than the Mamiya and Bronica rangefinders. A C220 with WLF and 55mm and 105mm lenses weighs about 4 lbs total. Mamiya TLR bodies are heavier than their SLR counterparts, but the lenses are much lighter at any given focal length.<br>

These are great cameras for portraiture, and many a professional wedding or portrait photographer got their start with these moderately priced, reliable workhorses. TLRs make great portrait cameras.<br>

In these days of digital imaging, it probably doesn't matter that the system has been discontinued. <br>

I use these cameras for nature and travel photography, which puts me in the minority. I think some folks would be put off by not having a lens wider than 55mm (equiv. to 30mm in 35mm format). This is fine with me as in 35mm format a 28mm lens is wide enough for my purposes, and once you crop 35mm format to a 4:5 aspect ratio, a 28mm lens is like having a 31mm or 32mm lens. I think many nature photographers would prefer a Pentax 645 or Mamiya 645 for this reason. Also if you like to use graduated ND filters, an SLR is more convenient. Heliopan polarizers with scales solve the problem of using a polarizer on a TLR. One thing I like about a low vibration square format camera is I can get away with a much lighter weight tripod. Again, it is all preference. A Mamiya 7 would be preferred, and if would probably own one if not for concern about having to switch to digital someday.<br>

KEH is a fine place to buy, or get a cheap one and just plan to send to Mamiya USA for a complete overhaul. They will replace all worn parts and the leatherette on the outside. Same goes for the lenses, but be sure to get a late black lens (chrome seikosha shutters and early black seiko shutters are not repairable presently on account of parts availability). The late black shutters are distinguished from the early ones by click stops on the aperture ring that are lacking on the early ones. I haven't checked with Mamiya Usa lately if the bodies and late lenses are still repairable. 3rd party repair people can still do a shutter overhaul as long as parts are not needed.</p>

<p>Neither camera is well suited for your needs. Both are manual focus, and not everyone likes working w/ a TLR for several reasons, not the least is that the image is reversed. Of course you'll never know until you try, so if you can borrow one for a week it would help. I have found the folders, if they have a good lens and are properly calibrated, to be as sharp as my Rolleiflex cameras (but in a different way), and I own a 2.8 Planar and a 2.8 Xenotar, the best lenses made for these. The Heliar on my Bessa 66 and on my Bessa 2 are fantastic. Folders are easy to carry and fun to shoot.</p>

<p>You might do better to buy a SLR MF camera (possibly a Hassy) for shooting children, but they have their peculiarities too. There are other sources more affordable than Certo6 to buy from too. KEH has a number of MF folders in their Collectibles section, and they offer a 14 day return. $200 to $300 should easily buy a good one that works properly. When I pull out my old folders people smile, and when I see the results I smile.</p><div>00TeDp-143921584.jpg.5abef7ccc33a6063299ca38faa3dd690.jpg</div>

<p>WOW, Thanks for all the input - This is some great information to help me make my choice.<br>

I need to fully digest it, but it think I'm leaning toward the TLR for the consistency and the type of shooting (planned portraits). I do have a local lab for printing in the short term (B&W)...<br>

I will definitely let you guys know when I make my choice.<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Ron</p>

<p>I have a seagull TLR that I bought for a little more than $100 and I LOVE the thing... then I got a Kiev MF SLR that blew my mind away. the 88.... the lenses are less $$ and larger than my nikon d80's..... the images from either are MUCH better than my dslr.</p>

<p>As you have already seen, you'll get as many answers as photographers. Folders are fun to use and compact, but they typically aren't as sharp as a TLR. In addition, the bellows and the arms are always a weak spot on these cameras. I would only suggest buying one with a coupled rangefinder (which are more expensive). Particularly for portraits a TLR is far preferable in my view. The Mamiya was a workhorse for wedding photographers for many years (and many of the used ones on the market have been heavily used). I personally find them too heavy and bulky and I don't really need the various lenses. One of my favorite cameras of all time was a Rolleiflex 3.5E. Built like a tank and nicely balanced in my hands. I preferred it to the 2.8 models for weight and balance. That said, I go to a Mamiya 7II for the most part these days as my travel camera of choice. In the long run with any classic or vintage camera, condition matters. Get the best condition camera you can find and have fun.</p>

<p>As you have already seen, you'll get as many answers as photographers. Folders are fun to use and compact, but they typically aren't as sharp as a TLR. In addition, the bellows and the arms are always a weak spot on these cameras. I would only suggest buying one with a coupled rangefinder (which are more expensive). Particularly for portraits a TLR is far preferable in my view. The Mamiya was a workhorse for wedding photographers for many years (and many of the used ones on the market have been heavily used). I personally find them too heavy and bulky and I don't really need the various lenses. One of my favorite cameras of all time was a Rolleiflex 3.5E. Built like a tank and nicely balanced in my hands. I preferred it to the 2.8 models for weight and balance. That said, I go to a Mamiya 7II for the most part these days as my travel camera of choice. In the long run with any classic or vintage camera, condition matters. Get the best condition camera you can find and have fun.</p>

<p>in the last seven years i've experimented with two rolleiflexes and two yashica TLRs. just bought a used mamiya 7, should receive it on monday. i'm expecting that will be easier to deploy and use. love the rollei [it's a 1951 -- automat, or A?] and the yashica 124G, but they are heavy to lug around. i like to take one of those to a party or gathering and shoot informally. the mamiya will be a lot better for travelling. mamiya 7 got rave reviews [sort of] -- images on a par with a hasselblad, but you might have to put up with parts falling off! ha ha...<br>

not sure if its true with the 330c, but with the old rolleis they are much improved with a replacement screen -- gives a much brighter image. some of the older ones are so dim it can be tough to focus. the 124G is acceptable in brightness if not brilliant.<br>

also just noticed that voigtlander is about to release a new camera -- a rangefinder folder. will be interesting to see what sort of results people get with that.</p>