D700 Wedding Photography Questions

christopher_carille

<p>Dan S -</p>

<p>For a typical wedding - the 18-50 (F2.8 sigma) will be fine even on an FX body such as the D700. The 18-70 Nikon will also work just fine - since the medium length will be mostly for shooting portraits anyhow (with flash - never yet been told I couldn't use a flash for them). </p>

<p>The 70-300 will be even less useful since it is a longer telephoto and slow lens speed - plus the Image Quality is not there on that lens... While the focal length is nice for standing in the balcony or back of church - the IQ just doesn't cut it. Much better bet is a 70-200 F2.8</p>

<p>Dave</p>

Eric ~ I agree with you completely and plan on doing so. I have used both before and they are fairly inexpensive to rent for a day

(which is all I need them for).

Overall, after all the discussion, I have decided to stick with buying the 14-24....it will provide much more use to me outside of the

wedding. I will focus on the wedding for the days that need be and then be back to my preferred work/shooting.

Thanks again everyone for the help. The advice has been helpful and hopefully will translate in the shots taken.

<blockquote>

<p>The 18-70 Nikon will also work just fine - since the medium length will be mostly for shooting portraits anyhow</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A DX lens will force the D700 into 5 MP DX crop mode. I hope nobody ever orders a large print.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(with flash - never yet been told I couldn't use a flash for them).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not a matter of permission. It's a matter of creative choices. Fast lenses make available light shots possible in dimly lit buildings.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 70-300 will be even less useful since it is a longer telephoto and slow lens speed - plus the Image Quality is not there on that lens... While the focal length is nice for standing in the balcony or back of church - the IQ just doesn't cut it. Much better bet is a 70-200 F2.8</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No one disputes that the 70-200 f/2.8 G is the better lens for shooting a wedding. I mentioned the 70-300 because Christopher OWNS one. As far as the IQ of the 70-300 not cutting it, that a matter for debate. (Thom Hogan seems to be quite happy with his, and I remember Galen Rowell praising the older ED version of this lens.)</p>

<p>I also find it curious that you claim that the 18-70 is plenty fast for a wedding but that the 70-300 is too slow. Both lenses have approximately the same maximum aperture range. How can one be too slow and the other fast enough?</p>

<p>To play devil's advocate, aren't slower apertures less of a hinderance at shorter focal lengths and more critical at long focal lengths, given the minimum acceptable shutter speed (say, 1/30 for argument's sake)? Perhaps that's his point.</p>

<p>I prefer to shoot nature too, but often have been approached to shoot weddings, and I enjoy that too.<br>

I use the D 700, SB 800, and a Tamron 28-200, Nikon 24-120, 60 F2.8 macro (for close ups of rings, etc), 85 F 1.8 and 105 AF DC F2, and depending on the layout of the Church balcony or loft I also have my 80-200 or 80- 400 AF D VR to take a long shot of the couple at the altar. If I have to shoot in tight spots then I will take my 20-35 F 2.8.<br>

I see no one suggested that you should be at the wedding rehearsal and have that opportunity to test your equiment and decide where you want to stand, when the B + G should walk slower, where you may want them to stand and face and where the other members of the wedding party whould stand and especially what they should do with their hands. I like the ladies holding their flowers at waist level, I like the gents with their hands behind them. It is also a good time to know who the main family members are that the B+G would want shots of, and if little kids are involved you can tell them how to walk and cue them as to what to do, like throwing rose petals, blowing bubbles or kisses, use thier cuteness to your advantage.<br>

It is also good to know what kind of lighting is in the place, I once had to request that the spotlights not be used, on another occassion the church was full of mirrors it was difficult to get a flash shot without getting a flash back from the mirrors, and at other times the flowers or planters in the church had to be moved around so it would not block or put in a way that it would enhance a shot.<br>

Just my 3 cents,<br>

Eb</p>