Shooting in a park tomorrow: TIPS and suggestions?

natalie_l

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I'm holding an open portrait session tomorrow to friends and people in the area to get their portrait taken for free in a park. Its great experience and they all get a free 5x7. I plan to bring my photography equipment a 42'' reflector (trans/white/gold/silver/blk) and my flash. <br>

In your experience, can you share recommendations for managing lighting outdoors middle/end of day. I realize end of day/sunset is optimal. I'm planning to shoot where its shady, using my speedlite on my 5dmii as necessary or the reflectors. I've shot during the day and managed the harsh lighting/shadows, but i'd like to ask your advice & tips. Reflector angles, distance from subject, placement, positioning (in front of subject to reflect light from behind)?<br>

I plan to use fill flash if necessary and and reduce the output, possibly 2/3 or more. I thought I'd adjust it to see what looks best. What has been your experience using fill flash and changing the output? I have a speedlite 580EXII. I was considering using my gary fong lightsphere. Do you think that would diffuse enough or should I reduce my output as I previously mentioned (or do both)? I know there probably isnt one right answer, but would appreciate your insight.<br>

Do you have any tips using the reflectors?<br>

Thanks in advance,<br />Natalie</p>

<p>Leave the Gary Fong at home. That only works indoors, it needs walls to bounce off of.</p>

<p>The reflector should only be used to bounce sunlight into a subject. Your flash is not powerful enough to compete with outdoor light if bounced off a reflector. </p>

<p>Try to position peole right at the transition from sun to shade (in the shade). Then you could bounce some sunlight into the shade and onto them. Optionally use the flash (without a modifyer) for fill.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Natalie, Tim Ludwig on this site taught me the importance not locking in only thinking about adding light, but also consider subtracting it. Dont forget that black cover to increase contrast. I would first look for some sort of overhead cover-overhang, tree - with good bkgd. If no go bkgd, blow it out or throw it out of focus. The overhang does 2 things, provides less of the overhead unflattering hard light and more diffused and also gives directional side light coming from under the over hang. Move that black on the shadow side in tight, just out of the frame or adjust further. Quick, easy. Also, you can pop the flash through that translucent it you want to add some soft light or use it to diffuse from the sun side for softer effect. Lots of choices. Try them all, pixels are free. </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>For individuals, couples or very small groups Carefully watch the eyes to assure there is good light in them. Use a reflector placed low (chest level or below, so there is light reflections low in the eye to add "spark". If you bounce sunlight into a darkly shaded area the subject may squint which is bad. If you add fill flash remember light is additive so your exposure needs to be tal\ken from the highlight area with the additional light considered, do a couple of tests.</p>