MB-D10 acquisition

roypanos

<p>Some time ago I posted a question about third party (ie cheap) alternatives to the MB-D10. Thanks to the suggestion by a forum contributor I was able to buy a real MB-D10 from a Dutch supplier @ Eu 170, plus 20 postage - a big saving over UK prices.</p>

<p>On first trying it out - at home rather than "live" - I immediately noticed something that I have never seen mentioned about the ergonomics of these battery grips. Given the offset of the viewfinder from the centre of the camera (D700 in this case), when the grip is fitted and the camera is in the portrait position (the attribute that I was most interested in) my right hand feels far too high. I'd even go so far as to say that this is not that much of an improvement on holding the camera without the grip in the portrait orientation, although the position of the controls overall is clearly better. Maybe I'll get used to it.</p>

<p>My other observation is that with the 70-200 VR, plus a TC, this combination is really heavy. <em>Really </em> heavy. I'm not at all sure that the grip makes the combo any easier to use, indeed my initial feeling is that hand held it's actually close to unuseably heavy - for this old geezer anyway. I balk at buying En EL4 batteries so I'm committed to using eight A4s in the grip if I need the additional speed, which doesn't help.</p>

<p>Makes me quite glad I didn't buy a D3.<br>

Roy</p>

<p>Roy,</p>

<p>I have the opposite experience in so far as I prefer to use the D700 with the MB D10 on the body all the time. I seem to gain extra dexterity with the confidence the extra surface area the vertical grip offers. With the grip removed the D700 feels small and I feel vulnerable to dropping it.........just an observation.</p>

<p>As for the actual height of the vertical grip - I find it quite workable but I do loathe the hair trigger shutter button on my MB-D10 which I fire prematurly on occasions when I forget that it's so sensitive compared to the shutter button on the body.....</p>

<p>I'm with Mathew on this one<br />I have 2 D700's and a D300 all with the MB-D10 grips attached.<br />The way the grip is shaped, the location of the shutter release and the AF button are all very ergonomically placed, where i don't have to "reach" for them, the multi function control on the back of it comes in handy, but could be lost and would not be missed, but the level of balance i get with the grips attached is a great feeling, and makes the whole setup quite comfortable. Especially when using the longer lenses.</p>

<p>The advantages of the grip will show after a long day of shooting. At first holding the camera in portrait mode without the grip on might feel just as sturdy. And this may hold true if you're only taking a few snaps before putting the camera down. But if you're shooting for a long period of time, the grip really cuts down on the torque your wrist is under by eliminating the awkward 'overhand' position.</p>

<p>The real weight is caused by the 70-200 VR, and the TC only compounds the problem. By lengthening the lens, the weight is distributed further away from the camera body, making it feel even heavier when you try to position your shot. I'd suggest trying a monopod whenever possible.</p>

<p>Ultimately it's up to you to decide if the grip works for your shooting style. I know I wouldn't go back to shooting a long heavy tele without one.</p>

<p>On the lens/tc combination, clearly the extra leverage makes the problem worse, however I have used this without the battery grip and without a monopod to shoot water sports with some success. The additional dead weight of the MB-D10 is a total show-stopper. Or maybe I need to send a couple of hours a daiy weight training?</p>

<p>I have a fairly basic monopod which I use from time to time. What's the easiest way to enable changes of orientation when using a monopod though? I have tried my ballhead, which is far too slow to adjust.<br>

Roy</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What's the easiest way to enable changes of orientation when using a monopod though? I have tried my ballhead, which is far too slow to adjust.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Doesn't it have a rotating collar to mount your monopod onto?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Duh, yes of course the 70-200 does - but it spends a lot of time on the shelf...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And you don't use it because???</p>

<p>First time I added the MB-D10 to my D300 I noticed the heft - a tad more than I liked and what appears necessary. Got used to it and the grip never comes off now. Can't really follow your argument regarding the hand position - without the grip in portrait mode the right hand is even higher.</p>

<p>Perhaps I am a bit younger than you, but the extra weight of the MB-D10 doesnt bother me - I find that the extra inertia helps damp high-frequency shakes and the camera + 70-200 balances a little better (note: my statement about frequency damping does not apply if you are suffering from muscle fatigue and/or cramping!). The only potential negative is the hair-trigger as Matthew pointed out above. To date, I have only used it with the EN-EL3e battery -- for higher frame rates, using AA's is certainly a more cost-effective solution.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I shoot a D200 with a battery grip, I have yet to remove it from the camera. A freind uses a D700 with battery grip and he only takes it off to swap batteries. He uses it with a 70-200 VR a 1.7x tele for sports, concerts and events where he can't get close. I find that the grips add something substantial to grab onto while the camera is hanging off my shoulder. The added verstalitliy of the vertical release is great. There were a couple times last week where i had to do bunch of headshots. My 80-200 was on a monopod and i kept swinging the camera back and forth swithcing between releases!</p>

<p>I don`t like to use lenses bigger than a 24-70, with this lens by far I prefer the ergonomics with a MB-D10 attached. It is certainly heavier, but for vertical shots I feel it`s far easier not to move while shooting, for horizontal shots at least I feel more secure handling the camera. For other than pro-zooms I usually remove the grip.<br>

Of course I prefer the slightly smaller, lightest and better shaped D3 versus a D300/D700 if the MB-D10 must be attached. But to my liking, the versatility of the D700 wins.</p>

<p>Well I am ordering my MB-D10 tonight. I loved my Canon with a grip, it never came off. I bought one for my D200 right after I got it, put it on took a couple of shots with it and sold it. I didn't like the way it felt. It felt huge and ackward. I hope the MB-D10 doesn't feel the same way. I'm willing to take the chance because it will be easy to sell if I don't like it.</p>

<p>I most appreciate that the MB-D10 allows for faster frame rates and for using cheap rechargeable AAs on my D300. (Haven't used it with the D700, but it's sure seems like an even better deal now that it's interchangeable, like the WT-4a. These sorts of accessories used to be specific to one camera model.)<br>

Also like that the MB-D10 is removeable. The flagship DX body prior to the D300 was the D2X which offered no choice, the bulk of the D2X with an integrated grip was a constant. (D2X didn't have a speed booster and it didn't work with anything but expensive proprietary batteries, either.)<br>

I wouldn't have bought the grip just for the vertical release, but this and the wheels and the joystick work at least as well as any I've ever used (offers more functionality than the F5 vertical release.)</p>

<p>I got my MB-D10 today. It is a huge improvement over the D200's grip. It actually feels like it should be on there. Quality build as well. The 8fps is sweet too. Does anyone know how many shots you can get out of alkeline batteries.</p>