Question regarding noise and ISO speed My first wedding

<p>OK, So i shot my first wedding and everything turned out great! I got alot of good advice on here, Thanks Everyone! The pics Outside were amazing. Although when we went inside for the reception and I had to use my flash some of the pics had alot of noise. I am shooting a quincieara on Saturday with the same lighting issues. Do you guys recommend anything on my ISO speed? Thanks in Advance! Michaela</p>

<p>Hi, Michaela... Higher ISO basically equals higher levels of noise... how much higher depends on the camera make and model -- this is primarily a sensor issue involving photo cell size and density, among other things. Does your model have in-camera high-ISO or long-exposure noise reduction? If so, at what ISO setting does it kick in?</p>

<p>I'm painfully aware of this issue, as my starter camera has been a Sony A350. As my preferences for subjects and shooting styles have evolved, I've discovered it to be woefully inadequate at ISO 800 and above. With this in mind, other than replacing your camera with one offering better high-ISO performance, your options include keeping ISO as low as possible while still getting proper exposure, using in-camera noise reduction when applicable (and hoping for the best!), and (considering the nature of event photography) buying one or two fast lenses so you can keep your shutter speed fast enough to stop motion in low-light conditions.</p>

<p>Others with much more experience will likely chime in with more helpful advice than this neophyte can offer, but these are the few things I've been recently learning the hard way. Hope some of it helps, and good luck!</p>

<p>In some cases using a high ISO is unavoidable. If you can't use flash, for example, a higher ISO is a good solution. You can often use noise reduction software later during editing to minimize the effects.</p>

<p>What equipment do you have now? And can you provide a link to one or two sample photos from your wedding session?</p>

<p>Uhm... you do have fast lenses, do you?</p>

<p>And you do use RAW, do you?</p>

<p>The quality of your high ISO depends on your camera, your postprocessing skills and software and the form that the result takes (big print, small print or websized JPEG's)</p>

<p>Some people here can probably suggest the best noise reduction sofware if your current software doesn't seem to cut it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Although when we went inside for the reception and I had to use my flash some of the pics had alot of noise."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That shouldn't have happened. Recheck the camera and the flash manuals, and compare with the exif data for the shots in question. In particular, turn off auto-ISO when using flash. Your flash technique (including using light modifiers) can leave shadow areas that can contain noise.</p>

<p>If all is well with the settings and technique, noise reduction in post can help. I use NIK Dfine, and love it. YMMV.</p>

<p>Depends what you're shooting with. For us with our Mark2s we can shoot 90% of the time without a flash and we don't mind shooting at 6400 iso, even 12800 iso sometimes to get the shot. If you know what you're doing in post you can make that look rockin. My suggestion though if you don't have a high-end camera with low noise at high iso's is learn to foof and foof well.</p>