D300 low NR function

mark_beaumont

<p>Hi<br>

I've just discovered this feature on my camera (yeah, I know, read the manual first!), Presumably, as by default it's off, is there a negative effect leaving it on, for normal faster speed shooting? I regularly shoot 10 sec and over exposures, and was wondering if I should leave it on so I don't forget to put it on when I need it.<br>

Also, does it still work if I shoot in RAW?<br>

Thanks<br>

Mark</p>

<p>It does work if you shoot in RAW. From my understanding (I've actually never used it so YMMV) is that the camera takes the actual picture, then takes another full exposure (in this case 10 secs+) using the identical settings and then compares the images - looking for hot pixels and other things to identify what is noise and what is not. It them modifies the image based on that data, which is why NR can consume a lot of battery power at long exposures and delay your ability to shoot multiple frames quickly at "faster speed shooting."</p>

<p>Someone please correct me if I missed the mark on this one.</p>

<p>You discovered "Low NR" - not sure what that is?</p>

<p>There are:</p>

<p>High ISO Noise Reduction, that ISO threshold value and noise reduction value are programmable</p>

<p>AND</p>

<p>Long Exposure Noise Reduction setting that starts working at 8 seconds and longer shutter exposure times, and should not affect shooting at faster shutter speeds. However, some people claim, (possibly as an excuse for having set wrongly something else ?), that if this is set ON, even if shutter speed is fast, it also has a side effect and slows down the fast rate shooting (?) - You try that and see if that slows you down on D300?.</p>

<p>Mark, FWIW I keep the NR turned off. If I have an exposure ten seconds or longer, chances are I am shooting ISO 200-400 where noise is minimal anyway. </p>

<p>But the best reason for turning it off is not having to wait until the camera cycles through another 10-30 seconds or whatever to process the noise reduction. For me, it works at least as well to use software for noise reduction if it is necessary at all.</p>