What are your favorite tips/techniques/tricks

glenn_c1

<p>WOW!!!<br>

Thanks to ALL of you for this great advise!!! When I first saw this thread, I auto-expected most people to just ignore it and keep reading. Man, was I ever wrong! You guys just don't know how much novices like me appreciate you sharing this knowledge.</p>

<p>THANKS A MILLION!</p>

<p>Richard</p>

<p>If going out into the wilds, check the times of sunrise and sunset, high and low water. Let someone know where you are going and when you are likely to get back. Always carry a map, compass and/or spare batteries for the GPS. <br>

Check all your gear the night before going out and always, always take a flask of coffee.<br>

After doing all the checks, go out, enjoy and have a lot of fun.</p>

<p>If going out into the wilds, check the times of sunrise and sunset, high and low water. Let someone know where you are going and when you are likely to get back. Always carry a map, compass and/or spare batteries for the GPS. <br>

Check all your gear the night before going out and always, always take a flask of coffee.<br>

After doing all the checks, go out, enjoy and have a lot of fun.</p>

<p>Something I read once was really enlightening: limitations are liberating.</p>

<p>So I'll set off with just one lens, leave all the others at home. And usually this is more fun when you take something other than your normal zoom. Try taking just a tele or just a prime (I know, you old-hat guys have been doing that for years, we just need to be reminded:). Or leave the whole SLR at home and take a P&S.</p>

<p>Or here's an idea: leave your camera at home. :) Go and enjoy the sights you see. As an exercise, imagine how you'd compose shots and account for timing. This lets you think about taking the picture without being distracted by fiddling with the camera. Of course you won't have the picture, but it's still an interesting exercise.</p>

<p>Watch the work of the great cinematographers like Vittorio Storaro, Gunnar Fischer to understand the drama and poetics of composition and lighting, and how to perfect your artistic craft.<br>

Take responsibility for everything that appears in your frame -- Every Thing.<br>

Do not take advantage of your subjects. The portrait is as much about your relationship to the subject as it is about the subject.<br>

Do not forgive your own mistakes.</p>

<p>This is the best thread I've read in a very long time. What a great idea!! Here are a couple of things that have helped me:</p>

<p>- "F8 and be there"...for nature/landscapes just set the camera to auto-iso, aperture-priority and F8 and focus only on the framing and lighting. If the shutter speed drops below 1/15sec just try to steady your grip on the camera and shoot multiple continuous frames. One of the shots will be sharp (enough).</p>

<p>- Avoid making excuses and just go out to take some shots if you think the light/weather is right. This includes going out into the cold, dark/stormy weather, etc. Just make sure you wear the right clothing and bring the right accessories.</p>

<p>- Don't switch systems. Just stick to what feels right. In my case switching from Nikon to Canon and back again was a big waste of time and money.</p>

<p>- Carry a very small but essential first-aid pack if trekking to remote places. S***t happens.</p>