Getting frustrated with the 3:2 aspect ratio - how do I get 7-1/4 x 10-1/2 on my HP 7960?

<p>I recently had a bunch of 11x14 matts custom-cut to fit a 7x10 opening as I know that DSLR aspect ratio for "full frame" necessitates it. The person who cut these matts made the opening about 6-7/8 x 10-1/4. I can barely fit the print inside without getting a bit of a white border showing - I should have had the opening a but smaller.</p>

<p>I am finding out that the "full-frame" parameters mean, for the 10-inch length, that the height is more like 6-7/8"so the actual file is not quite a 3:2 proportion - I am using Nikon D40 and D80 bodies - maybe there are slight differences between the cameras for aspect ratio. Anyway, I am trying to find out if I can make a custom print with the Hewlett Packard 7960, HP no longer has email support on this aging (but excellent) printer.</p>

<p>I find, in general, that 3:2 is a rather clunky ratio to deal with, you always need a custom matt if you want to make full-frame - I guess you could use 8x12, but you'd need to have a larger-format printer.</p>

<p>Would it be best to simply use a compact camera for making traditional 8x10 prints? The aspect ratio on my Coolpix 8400, for example, is easier to work around.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Full frame means 2:3, so 4x6, 6x9, 8x12 etc are all proportional.</p>

<p>I buy custom cut mattes at Light Impressions that are the size I want- I use them for both 8x12s printed on 11x14 inch paper and for smaller images printed on letter sized paper.</p>

<p>I have long made 7" X 10-1/2" prints on 8-1/2 X 11 paper and custom cut mats to fit 11 X 14 frames. When I want a larger print, I go to 10 X 15 (for which there are pre-cut mats available many places) or 12 X 18 (again pre-cut mats available online).</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>First you can print without borders, that would eliminate the white showing.<br /> Second, you can do as I did, buy a Logan mat cutter, they are not very expensive and you can cut your own mats to any size you desire. I just buy the materiel in an art supply store for mats. You can also find a huge variety of styles and colors that go well with your prints. <br>

You will quickly save more than the Mat cutter costs by cutting your own.</p>

<p>If you want to make 8x10 prints you can train yourself to see that aspect ratio in the viewfinder. With the D80 you should place the left side of the image roughly halfway between the left side of the viewfinder and the leftmost focusing spot, and likewise on the right side.<br>

When it comes time to make the print, keep in mind that store-bought precut mats typically have an opening of about 7.5 x 9.5 inches, so you may want to print the image a bit smaller than 8x10 so that you don't lose too much under the mat (of course the paper can be 8.5 x 11 inches).</p>

<p>After careful examination, I now see the problem - my Nikon D40's aspect ratio is not quite the same as the D80's, the trouble prints were with the entry-level camera. I had no issues when matting the files shots with the D80, I even measured the matts to see if any were cut larger than I had asked.</p>

<p>So, 3:2 is a bit different with DSLR's, maybe no two are quite the same.</p>

<p>For now, I'll simply use the D80 files to create these 7x10 full-frame prints, although I have a buddy who runs a lab that can print to whatever size is need to mimic the 3:2.</p>

<p> </p>