New G10 - liberating!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have been using the G10 for a couple of weeks now. It's easy to take it anywhere, unlike my DSLR and a backpack of lenses. All the criticisms listed above are valid, but it has incredible ergonomics for those of us used to manual controls from older 35mm cameras. I took to it right away. </p>

<p>I love the exposure comp. dial and use it set like Dan, above, at -1/3rd stop. Additionally, having an optical frame that adjusts with the zoom with diopter control is great even thought its coverage is around 77%. The ability to dial in the ISO and the program mode quickly gives you additional creative control that isn't apparent from a listing of the specs alone. Shooting RAW and using DxO or PTLens for corrections provides the ability to get back blown highlights and play with a bit more dynamic range than one would expect for a camera of this type. The 15mp size has given me the ability to crop liberally without loosing too much resolution. I've played around with manual focus, and the manual exposure modes and found them to be quite useable, unlike these features in any other compact camera I've used in the past. </p>

<p>In order to get the autofocus to respond more quickly, I took it out of face detect mode, and only use the center autofocus point, half-press, getting focus confirmation/lock; recompose and shoot. Fairly responsive if you anticipate the lag. I appreciate the comment from Paul above to use manual focus, stop down and prefocus on a set distance and then shoot when in the "zone". This is the technique that most of the older street shooters used and I am glad to see that it can be used with the G10.</p>

<p>I'll try to post some shots over the next couple of weeks. </p>

<p>Interesting thread, and it reminds me of why I dumped my G10. The great body, lousy IQ. The sample posted here do nothing but remind me of why Canon should have put a 2/3" 8MP sensor in the camera.<br>

Maybe the newly introduced Oly Pen digital can offer a small package with good IQ. The body is actually smaller than the G10!</p>