I continue to be plagued by.................

<p>Waldo, I've been following exactly what you discussed. I do appreciate everybody's efforts to help but people do need to read the original post carefully. Yes, I'm truely a computer wuss but finally I've mastered a task I've needed to get on top of for a LONG time. Most of my photos are scanned prints and therefore are automatically sized properly for e-mailing, at least with the equipment I've used. However, when I bought my first digital SLR things started to get dicey but now its beginning to iron out. Again, thanks for all the help.</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So what I gather from the length of this thread is that I'm not alone in my confusion over this.</p>

<p>Anyone who's ever gone into Photoshop's Image Size... and watched what happens to the numbers when you enter numbers first before clicking or unclicking the resample box and notice the "Pixel Dimensions:" in MB (oh, that's intuitive) go up or down will see what I mean about why this crap is so confusing and hard to remember.</p>

<p>The first number you look at that makes sense is the Document size in inches and it is usually very large. We have no concept of what size a pixel really measures because usually the ppi is either set at 72 which looks real small or 240 which looks right for printing.</p>

<p>But printers don't print in pixels. They use dithered dots that interpret the pixel grid pattern within the image file we can't see on paper until we reduce the resolution to a ppi somewhere under 150 to see this grid and the stairsteps it produces to hard edged detail.</p>

<p>Also the size of the file in MB shown in Image Size... is the uncompressed size with regards to jpeg. The size of the file on your hard drive will be much smaller and no one knows which number size will show up in the download progress bar in their browser or email box if provided.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Walter,<br>

Don E covered your question brilliantly, but FYI, you can get answers to questions that deal directly with Picture Windo Pro at:<br>

<a href="http://www.dl-c.com/board/">http://www.dl-c.com/board/</a><br>

Click on the Support option and you can ask questions if you are registered, or you can search the archives, which is what I do. I can always find the answer to my PWP questions that way. You can also get access to all of the manuals there as well. There are a lot of people there that know everything about the program. I visit the forum daily to learn something new.</p>

<p>to resize for the web. the simplest solutiuon is the one i use and i use it because it is simple.<br>

go to microsoft's website, the page you want is-<br>

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx</a><br>

simply install it. then when you right click on a image there is a choice called "Resize Picture". simply select the size you wish and the program gives it to you. the only thing you jhave to sure of if the pic is for the web is change it to jpeg first. i have a folder on my desktop lab;e "Resized Pics" inside are 3 folders labeled small medium large these contain the results of the resize program.</p>

<p>note- if i am going to do the resizing to batch of pics i use Irfanview to change then to jpeg first then use the resizer to change to the size wanted, or use irfanview to change them to the jpeg and size wanted directly. your choice.</p>