D5000

joe_casey3

<p>Greetings,<br>

I had a Canon d30 I received as a gift 2 years ago and hated it. Started playing with Nikons recently, and really liked their feel. Bought a d5000 to play around with for now. I really like the shots it produces, and its feel. I am on my 14 day return period and wonder if I should keep it or get the D90 instead? I am an amatuer who would like to get better at this hobby, but don't ever expect to be a pro. Is the d5000 a keeper, or would the d90 be a better investment for the long haul?</p>

<p>One of the main reasons to get a D90 is that the D40/40x/60/5000 (I believe...) don't have an in-built auto-focus motor. That means that many older and third party lenses will only work in manual focus mode. When I had a D40, I wanted to buy lenses that seemed like good value for money, but couldn't because of this.<br>

The D90 is a great camera. My wife as it (and I have the D300) and really loves it. Whether it's worth the extra money is probably something only you can answer, though. It's normally better to spend money on lenses than the body, but in this case, the more expensive body may allow you to get more affordable/better lenses.<br>

Martin</p>

<p>If you are still within the 14 days I would say you should keep the D5000. You like it. It takes beautiful pictures and it has plenty of room to grow with you. You would be far better served taking the extra money and buying a SB-600 flash and learning to master it. <br>

These forums frequently host people who are trying to buy a game. Photography is like golf. There are those who practice and master the game and there are those who endlessly try to buy a better driver or a more accurate putter. I think that if I had the best clubs in the world just about any club pro could kick my butt with a rental set. </p>

<p>The point is that there are many more things that are far more important to improving your photography than a few features on a camera. </p>

<p>Why the flash? Because in learning the principles of flash photography you will learn to think about light in a far more sophisticated way. The flash will give you the opportunity to take a whole new kind of photo. Get a great book on flash and you will see what I mean. Todays great photographers are masters of flash. </p>

<p>Then get some lessons. Take workshops and read. And if you should be able to find the rare thread on this site that is about how to take pictures rather than which is better, Canon or cocaine or Nikon or nicotine, you can read that too.</p>

<p>In addition to the built in auto focus motor the D90 has a Pentaprism viewfinder and the D5000 has a Pentamirror viewfinder. There are significant improvements with the D90 and the cost increase is reasonable. A person may not notice the difference in the viewfinder but the auto focus motor probably will become an issue later when you are wanting to add lenses. I am not sure either of these camera's are going to be up to the "long haul".</p>

<p>Personally I prefer the D90 but it's your camera, not mine. Do you think the D5000 is limiting? Are you just feeling standard issue buyer's remorse?</p>

<p>Remember that the D90 does no better at the core mission of a digital camera which is to take digital photos. Same sensor, very similar electronics. It does have the AF motor and somewhat more advanced and customizable controls. If you have your eye on any non-AFS lenses, sure, go to the D90. If not, probably not a big deal, keep the D5000 and go shoot some photos instead of worrying about it on the internet.</p>

<p>Go for the D90 if you don't mind spending the extra money. Aside from the AF motor, just the viewfinder is worth it. It's a shocking difference. The D5000's viewfinder is even smaller than the D40's but the D90's is refreshingly large, especially for a crop camera; it's bigger than those of the Canon xxD cameras and just marginally smaller than the D300's.</p>

<p>D90 if you're on the fence. Biggest reason would be for in body focus motor, but if buying / using older AF-D lenses aren't important for you then it's a non-factor.</p>

<p>@Rick: I don't believe the D5000 has commander mode so he'd be forced to use the SB-600 on camera until he bought a second SB-800/900. Another reason to get the D90.</p>

<p>Also to extend the club analogy, using the D5000 is like having a club bag with only a 3 wood and half your irons. Sure you can do pretty well but in the end you're still handicapping yourself.</p>

<p>D90 - motor for non - AFS lenses, remote control of CLS flash (like SB600), DoF preview, bigger (and better - easier to handhold - imho) body.</p>

<p>These things might not matter to you now, but if you become more serious, they will.</p>

<p>Get the 90.</p>

<p>I'm a D300 owner but when I was first looking a DSLRs I played around with a Canon 30D and really like the build and the images it produced. If I already had a 30D I don't think I would trade it for a D5000 or D90 (just from the build standpoint).</p>

<p>M. Ting: You are correct. I missed that. He needs commander mode. I want to stick to my main points though. It is not the camera that will make him a better photographer in the long haul. It is the time and effort he puts into understanding the basics of photography and most importantly understanding in the abstract how cameras see and use light. The fewer clubs analogy fails because a poor golfer hits all of his clubs poorly. More clubs will not make him appreciably better.</p>

<p>I am assuming that money is not a consideration or he would not have asked. If it is indeed not a consideration then the D90 is the obvious choice. And it is really not a consideration the D300 is an even more obvious choice but then this never ends, does it? <br>

Joe said: <em>" I am an amatuer who would like to get better at this hobby, but don't ever expect to be a pro."</em><br>

I am hearing you say that you want to be a better photographer and are looking to the camera to help you do that. A good camera will help but a trained photographer (amateur or professional) with your camera will shoot rings around an untrained photographer with a D3. The key is that you understand that the camera body is just a tool. And arguably the least important part of your improvi ng in your hobby. So:</p>

<p>Unless the few hundred dollars difference is of no consequence, spend the money on learning rather than equipment and you will have more fun and take better pictures. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>You are on the exact trajectory I started on with digital except that instead of a D5000 I began with a D40. I traded almost immediately for a D90 and <em>highly</em> recommend you do the same if you think you will get serious about photography. </p>

<p>This is an exception to the usual rule that the camera doesn't matter. In the long run you will save money with the D90 because you will be able to save huge money on lenses - it is a major practical reality that will be immediately apparent if you expand your interests towards fast telephotos, primes, wide zooms, and on and on.</p>

<p>In the meantime you can enjoy the other significant benefits of the D90 and consider them free.</p>

<p>"I'm a D300 owner but when I was first looking a DSLRs I played around with a Canon 30D and really like the build and the images it produced. If I already had a 30D I don't think I would trade it for a D5000 or D90 (just from the build standpoint)."<br>

<br /><br>

Hey Wayne, I just want to let you know that Canon actually made a model called the D30! This isn't a typo in the title. The 30D is a different model. D30:</p>

<p>http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/6/canon_camera_pma_zoom15.jpg</p>

<p>Canon also made an EOS D60 which was the predecessor to the 10D (I just find it funny that Nikon also makes a D60).</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. No, i'm not looking for the camera to make me a better photographer - only a camera that will grow with me as I become a better photographer. I like the d5000, but am concerned that it is strictly designed for the average consumer - which usually means little, if no, accessories. In this case, it seems that a vertical grip will not be designed for it, as I can find no references suggesting it will; only those that says it wont. The d90 has that particular item, as well the command module for wireless flasheds which would extremely neat in my future endeavors. It does cost more, and it would hurt a little to buy it. But, a member's response suggested that I would save the difference in lenses by being able to buy ones without the required focusing motor necessary for the d5000. Hmmm. decisions, decisions ....</p>