Lens Prices?

<p>Is it just me, or have lens prices risen sharply recently?? I've been eyeing the 200-400 f/4 for some time and it looks like it's gone up about 900 bucks recently.. i.e. here at B&H..<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=300488&is=USA">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=300488&is=USA</a><br>

it also looks like the 50mm f/1.4 has gone up substantially as well.. used to be about $285 and now it's almost $500!<br>

Anybody know why this happened? I'd love to find out why.<br>

On a similar topic, I've been shooting my "Beast", the 28-70 f/2.8 for some years now and love it. However, there's the new 24-70 f/2.8 and I've heard that it's lighter, smaller, and easier to handle. Would you switch from the 28-70 to the new 24-70?<br>

FYI - I'm shooting a D700 and D300 (for telephoto work) and mostly shoot landscape/street scape type stuff.<br>

Thanks!!<br>

Jeff</p><div>00TVy4-139353684.jpg.4cdfc71e35a6f62a9530369d77697b69.jpg</div>

<p>The 50mm 1.4D is 339.00 but the new AF-S is around 500.00. As far as the others going up, I don't know. I think B&H's prices seem to be creaping up a bit. I noticed when looking for a D5000 for my wife that their prices weren't very good. I bought my D700 there but I have bought my accessories lately from Adorama. I bought a 50mm 1.4D from Adorama because it was out of stock at B&H.</p>

<p>One theory is that Japanese currency has risen against USD, it was around JPY110/$1 a year ago and now JPY95/$1. Nikon is essentially a Japanese company and may have to compensate somehow. Besides, that is the point of low USD maneuver, if this exchange rate is somewhat artificially kept this way - to suppress import by effectively raising USD price of the imported goods.<br>

But, other stuff's price is rising, too, e.g. gas!<br>

By the way, very nich shot, Jeff!</p>

<p>That could be part of it. It might be that companies are trying to increase revenue. You would think they would lower prices though to move more merchandise. It is odd that some things like camera bodies are not as cheap online as they used to be. I did save about 300 plus tax on my last camera buying online, but that was about 10%. It seems like it used to be about a 25% savings, plus new bodies like the D5000 are the same price online as the local stores.</p>

<p>If you check Nikon's website you will find very little difference in size and weight between the two standard zooms. There is also one more piece of ED glass in the 24-70, probably to correct the extra 4mm of focal length. In my opinion not worth the difference in value. If one is looking for something wider than 28mm then generally 24mm is not enough and another wider lens would be more appropriate.</p>

<p>For someone buying a 200-400, I don't think a $900 difference is going to stop them.</p>

<p>I have been considering the Sigma 24-70 HSM because I can't bring myself to spend 1800 on the Nikon. Unless you were constantly finding yourself up against the 28mm and needed to be wider, I would just stick with the 28-70.</p>

<p>Nikon has just laid off 1,000 workers according to news reports. Maybe they are trying to increase revenue some? In addition to currency fluctuations, most of the economists I follow are saying that because of the unprecedented increase in government spending (U.S.) a round of hyper inflation not seen in many generations could well be on the way. I've been buying items on my photo "want list" during the past year, when prices were at a low ebb. I'm starting to sit tight right now, as prices increase. I've been buying photo related computer gear lately, as prices seem very good. Even Photoshop has had price cuts.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Yes, I've noticed it. Last year I bought a brand new Nikon USA 10.5mm DX fisheye lens from B&H Photo for $569.99. It has now risen to $699.99! I was simply gobsmacked when I saw it. And to think I sold it for $499.99 when I "upgraded" to the D700, thinking I'd never shoot DX format again. Needless to say, I won't be buying another one at that price (since I used it for only around 2-3% of my photos if that).</p>

<p>There's a supply and demand factor too. Nikon reduced production in anticipation of a sharp decline in sales, which wasn't nearly as sharp as predicted. There isn't as much stock out there right now so retailers don't feel any need to offer bargains on a lot of this stuff.</p>

<p>If you really feel the need for a 24mm (and a bit wider) and you have a bit of cash burning your pocket, then consider the AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 GN lens. It really is as good as all the rave reviews say it is, and my feeling is that the price is only going to hike even further upwards. Alternatively, just get a cheap 24mm f/2.8 prime to fill the hole and you're sorted.</p>

<p>The above-mentioned 14-24mm lens went up by about 20% while I dithered about buying it, and has since risen another 20%. Where's this recession-driven deflation they promised us?</p>

<p>A bit off-topic - those who live outside NY state are in luck because you can "save" sales tax. <br>

A few weeks ago, I managed to sell a 1.5 years old 18-200 at $650 (!) when the some of the online new price was $670! And, I am already missing and regretting selling it :-( <br>

I also saw some crazy bid wars on 35mm f/2 which was out of stock for a while. Almost 5 to 10% off the online price for one to a few years old used items. Definitely the demand is not too weak for some of those lenses.</p>

<p>Back to topic - It is noteworthy that they are not increasing the body price while increasing lense price. Is it the same in the printer world? I know the ink cartridge has been the revenue source of the printer manufacturers and therefore ink cartridges are expensive. Are they raising the price of cartridges? If so, then those who frequently print phots must be feeling a lot of pain....<br>

Ken</p>

<p>Nikon's fairly recent price increases were announced back in Jauary (2009) and became effective in February, mainly due to the value appreciation in the yen against the Euro, US$, Canadian $, the British Pound, etc. We had plenty of discussion back then:<br>

<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00S7un">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00S7un</a><br>

<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SFjm">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00SFjm</a></p>

<p>I know a number of people who read this forum regularly went ahead and bought lenses back then to lock in the old lower prices.</p>

<p>Shun and others..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know a number of people who read this forum regularly went ahead and bought lenses back then to lock in the old lower prices.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you so much for your responses.. I also was thinking that the dollar was not doing well against the yen.. For me.. i've been thinking about the 200-400 since last year and was finally going to take the 5k plunge, but now that it's about 6k.. I may have to wait awhile. I'll probably rent one for my upcoming trip and see how I like it.<br>

all, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question!<br>

Cheers!<br>

Jeff</p>

<p>No question in my mind a big part of it seems to be that there is a shift from Nikon to Canon in the DSLR world, and Nikon <em>can</em> now charge more for lenses. The currency issue was undoubtedly part of the motivation, but that has reversed itself somewhat I believe. I think Nikon has made a conscious decision that the market will bear higher prices for its lenses, if not at the same volumes, then at lower volumes that nevertheless result in higher profits. There is also the issue of supply. They appear to have underestimated demand and reduced supply accordingly. Thom Hogan has posted some interesting speculations on his website about that issue.</p>

<p>The question to me is whether prices will trend downward over the next couple of years, a reversion to the mean, as economic realities return things to a more competitive and balanced state. If so it might be better to wait to buy lenses that are primarily specialty or occasional lenses.</p>

<p>yeah it sucks now, if you were hoping to swoop on a 70-200 VR if they hit the $1500 price point, they're over $1800 now. i notice more and more threads asking about 3rd party lenses daily. no wonder the $200 35/1.8 is sold out. ultimately, the price is determined by what the market will bear.</p>