Which tripod have you taken down the Grand Canyon ?

edgard_engelman

<p>In answer to your question......THE WRONG ONE.....way too heavy. Killed me.</p>

<p>However, for totally different reasons, I just recently bought one to be able to go inside my day pack (head removed for transportation) and to support a 4lb cam/lens (Mamiya 7 w/65mm f/4.0 lens). One thing though. Do not extend the center column or the bottom thin flimsy leg extensions. This may sound like a problem but after reading Galan Rowell's account of using his lightweight Gitzo....with which he did the same thing....I thought I'd take a chance. Works great. Rowell was usually able to find rocks, etc. in nature to put the tripod on to make up for the loss of height....I usually find walls, trash cans, newspaper boxes in the city to do the same.</p>

<p>I use <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507998-REG/Slik_611_845_Sprint_Pro_EZ_Tripod.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507998-REG/Slik_611_845_Sprint_Pro_EZ_Tripod.html</a></p>

<p>I forget was Galan used....but I think it's discontinued anyhow. I can't seem to find the link right now to even find that one....but google it, it's there somewhere.</p>

<p>I would take the Induro carbon fiber tripod anywhere. I have the C214 (believe that's the number). It's rock solid and only weights 3 lbs without the ball head. You can also use it as a walking stick going down and up the canyon or on any hike. Check out the options at www.indurogear.com I have taken this tripod to Tierra Del Fuego at the end of the world (the southernmost place in the world outside of Antarctica). This is a great piece of equipment. It comes in a nice bag with a tool kit. I carry it in my suitcase when I travel. It folds up to 20" long.</p>

<p>Just curious, is "down the canyon" in your case, going down the river on a raft, say, or is it carrying the tripod down the trail into the canyon?</p>

<p>In the latter case, any good solid tripod is easy enough to get <strong>down</strong> into the canyon. The problem is getting the same gear back out of the canyon on the way <strong>up</strong> . ;)</p>

<p>I guess in both cases, something strong and light would be best, but that's not likely to be cheap.</p>

<p>I backpacked into the Grand Canyon this past March with a Canon 5D Mk.II, 24-105/4L IS, 17-40/4L and Gitzo GT2541 with an Acratech GV2 ballhead. I would not have wanted to carry anything heavier or supported my gear with anything lighter than the 2541.</p>

<p>If you are interested, my route took me down South Kaibab Trail to Phantom Ranch and back out of the canyon via the Bright Angel Trail. I also did a day hike from Phantom Ranch to Ribbon Falls.</p>

<p><a href="http://adamschallau.com/gallery/7768007_svtLn">Photos from when I was the Artist-in-Residence on the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.</a></p>