Can anyone identify these old filters?

<p>Hi,<br>

I received a bunch of old stuff from a deceased amateur photographer, who shot for over 50 years. From a 1946 Contax through various Minolta gear spanning from ~1965 to 1995. Most of it I sold on ebay (did not make much except on the Contax camera - I saw it mostly as getting the stuff to where it might be used), but I got one bag of filters left, that did not match any of the lens, to any of the cameras. I am thinking it was to something that he no longer had.<br>

I am just curious to what they belonged to before I get rid of them. Please see pic.</p>

<div>00TUlK-138691584.jpg.756b0c874dc54106a2bb52cd102ebd70.jpg</div>

They are "Series" filters. They are part of a system developed to allow the use of filters on older lenses. There is an adapter ring, which is either slip-on or threaded, that attaches to the end of the camera. Then the filter sits inside that, and either a small bezel ring or a lens hood then threads into the adapter ring, holding the filter in place. They came in various sizes, V and VI being the most common, at least in my experience.

<BR><BR>

The filters shown here (probably in the Wratten 80 family) are not overly common and you may be able to find someone who would like them if you are not going to keep them.

<BR><BR>

- Randy

<p>Cool thanks. Yes, they do indeed fit inside the various hoods and have adaptor rings. I just was unable to fit those on anything else! Now I know why. I seem to have underestimated how long he had been shooting.</p>

<p>The dark blue filter is an 80A that changes the color temperature from 3200K to 5500K; and the light blue filter is an 80B that changes the color temperature from 3400K to 5500K. If you look carefully at the photograph, you can read: "Size 6" (series 6); and "Ansco" on the 80A filter.</p>

<p>When those filters were made Daylight Kodachrome had a 'blistering' speed of ISO 10. I wonder how useful that 80A or 80B really was? Of course, most people bought tungsten balanced Kodachrome when they wanted to shoot by photofloods or use clear flash bulbs. Even when Ektachrome and Anscochrome debuted in 35mm it was initially only ISO 32.</p>