Rain Protection

chuck_j

<p>I am planning a short trip and the weather is supposed to be solid rain for the next to days. I have a rainsleeve to protect my camera body. Do you have any tips for keeping element clean? I don't think I have enough hands for an umbrella. I read something about putting RainX on your filters? Has anybody tried that? I don't want to ruin my polarizer trying it. Thanks for any responses.</p>

<p>Rain X on glass acts like wax on a car. The water will bead up in large bubbles then run off. But untill there are sufficient numbers, the bubbles do not run off. <br>

Nothing happens on my car windshield until I hit 35 MPH. Then the airflow blows the water off. I have driven Chicago to Philadelphia in rain so hard and heavy the truckers were stopped using nothing but rainX. I even missed one exit ramp and was going 15 MPH at night. I never used the wipers. This product was developed for use on aircraft windows where there is airflow to clean off the water <br>

It will not repell small amounts of water leaving a clear glass. </p>

<p>I would have reservations what it might to to filter coatings. It is applied wet, allowed to dry, then you need to rub hard to remove the dried film.</p>

<p>A deep lens shade a UV filter is the best you can do. Unless someone has actual experience or tried it on his camera, don`t follow that advice.</p>

<p>Worse than being a help, RainX is going to create a mild fog condition on your lens front because it does encourage the moisture to bead up... even the tiniest bit of moisture is going to want to bead. I think you'd achieve a wonderful soft focus effect, but probably not what you're looking for.</p>

<p>Small umbrellas with a flexible metal support pole and clamping mechanism are available where you get camping/folding chairs. Here is one example: http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Chair-High-Umbrella-Chairs/dp/B0007YG5XA/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1243552818&sr=8-21<br>

Using your tripod you can either clamp it to the tripod leg (if its a small leg) or you can zip-tie or tape it to the leg.<br>

You can then set the height and angle of the pole depending upon the direction of the weather.<br>

If you find a white umbrella it can also be used as a soft-light diffuser on sunny days.<br>

Just be aware that in a downpour the umbrella material may allow some rain to come through but it light rain and snow it works fine.<br>

Good Luck,<br>

Lee</p>

<p>I struggled with this issue during a recent trip to Argentina and Chile. My solution was to upgrade my camera bag. If you are interested try the Kiesel bags. These inexpensive bags are tough and have zippers and inside protection to keep your stuff dry. Google Kiesel online. For lenses and cameras, zip lock bags with a hole cut in the corner to fit the diameter of the lens works well - roasting bags also work real well. I had my Nikon D80 at Iguazu Falls with mist and water all over. Although the filters got a bit wet, nothing was ruined or compromised by the water. Keep lens rags or wipes handy to wipe off filters and superficial water on the camera body.</p>

<p>Larry's suggestion of a more waterproof bag could be augmented with a <a href="http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm">Black Jacket</a>. I use one of those over my DSLR to give me a dark area in which to focus with Live View, but it is quite waterproof into the bargain. What I do is keep the camera and lens covered by the Black Jacket until I need to compose and shoot, then I uncover the lens.</p>

<p>If it's going to be raining so hard that even that short time out from under the cloth will be a problem, then you will need a different solution.</p>

If it's just light rain, I put the lens hood on, and loosely wrap a clear plastic bag around the camera with the open at the lens hood, and wrap the end on the hood with an elastic band. I have to keep wiping off where the plastic over the veiwfinder with my sleeve or a small towel, not the greatest for seeing, but it's the shotgun approach with the autofocus. Need to find me one of those big goofy umbrella hats.

<p>For anything 50mm and up the lens hood should keep moisture off of the front element, unless the rain is coming down sideways.<br /> <br /> Rainsleeves work and they are really cheap.<br /> <br /> As far as the RainX goes, if you want to do that, I would suggest getting a cheap UV filter and stack it on your polarizer. If you go really wide you might get some vingetting, but you can always plan to crop.</p>

<p>It is my understanding that the B+W filters with the MRC coating repel water. Much like Rain X. I would also be worried of optical distortions cause by an uneven film of Rain X. I think the best thing to do is to use a deep lens hood whenever possible and to keep the rain off the camera when it is not in use. However that said I haven't had a lot of experience using my camera in the rain, I live in sunny California.</p>