Laptops with Adobe RGB gamut screens

<p>

<p>Hello mates!<br>

I was about to get a new macbook when my friend told me about some new laptops that have screens that are capable of displaying the Adobe RGB gamut, e.g.<br>

Dell M6400 <a href="http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&id=workstation-precision-m6400-cov&l=en&s=bsd">link</a><br>

Dell Studio XPS 16 with RGB-LED screen<br>

HP 8730w with DreamColor screen<br>

My question is: any photogs currently using these kind of screens? Would love to hear your experience before I take the dive.<br>

PS: because I travel for work, it is kinda tough to bring along a full sized desktop display. Trust me, I've tried, it's now left with my dad. And bringing lenses is already a pain, not to mention a screen :)<br>

Thanks!</p>

<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with those screens, but I personally would stay away from anything that's not RGB-LED or CCFL backlight. White LEDs often give a very blue color rendition without adjustment, and I just don't like the way things look on the screen. Personally, I find the CCFL screen in my Thinkpad W500 to be quite good as far as color. Calibrating by eyeball and test charts, as well as confirming based on usage, it did somewhat better (especially in maintaining shadow detail without blown highlights) than either of the inexpensive 17" CRTs I have here (IBM G74, something CTX from the late 90s). </p>

<p>The MacBook's LCD's pretty much suck, and no, they are not wide gamut (larger percentage of Adobe RGB (1998)). Worse, newer units are glossy! I don't know of any wide gamut laptop screens. </p>

<p>The DreamColor is a wide gamut unit although you can get similar wide gamut products (CCFL) for far less money (NEC 2690 or 3090). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Am using the HP Pavilion HDX9494nr Entertainment Notebook PC...<br>

You can't come much closer to a Desktop PC for me, with its 20" screen.<br>

Means I can see digital shots at almost the size I consistently print.<br>

A bit on the heavy side to carry, but with a shoulderstrap doable.<br>

Have been able to adjust the color by eyeball and test charts and am satisfied.<br>

Before adjusting the screen, it was much too bright, but that was easy.<br>

We travel full time in a 23 foot RV, so space is limited, but still carry a 13" Printer and sell a lot of my work in campgrounds and on eBay. Ive been involved in Photography since 1937 and have been particular about my end results since about 1947. It works for me. Found it for a pretty good price on Fry's Electronics website, bought it in OR so paid no sales tax... :-)</p>

<p>I have a newer MacBook Pro 15inch with a glossy screen, i love it when on the road and for BW work ..color are pretty close, but i always finished them correctly on my NEC 2690wuxi.</p>

<p>As for the glossy screen, i buy a matte film to put on it that work like a charm..reduce all glare without touching the contrast or luminosity..work perfectly. 35$.</p>

<p>I have been giving serious thought to the Dell M6400. It is available with a matte version of the wide gamut LCD. About 70% of the time, it would be used in the office for driving a color calibrated graphics monitor such as one of the NECs. But the remaining 30% would be for road trips where the availability of a color-calibrated LCD in a laptop would be highly desirable. Another decision is which OS, and if it should be 32 bit or 64 bit. I remain partial to Windows XP. My primary data storage is either a server on my office network or else high capacity external drives if I'm on the road. The M6400 is expensive, but on the other hand, I haven't seen anything else that combines adequate graphics capability with a wide gamut matte LCD. </p>

<p>Patrick, which matte film do you use on your MacBook Pro's glossy screen? The reason I ask is that the Dell M4400 has a glossy wide-gamut screen and conceivably would be a less expensive alternative to the M6400. All the better if the matte film fixes the usual issues with glossy LCDs.</p>