Moving to New York

Hello Wonderful Photonet Community!

I'm thinking of moving to New York. I'm an editorial, travel and documentary photographer and would like to live there because of the

proximity to

magazines and editors. I figure that once I make connections there I can live anywhere. But do I need to live in New York to do this? Is

New York still the world's capital of documentary photography?

I'd love to live in the city, but it sounds fiercely competitive. I have also heard lots of people have left New York because they can't get any

work. If you live in New York or have lived there, what is your opinion on this? If you have lived in New York in the past but have left, are

you happy with your decision?

Are there other places that you would recommend to live that would be good for a photographer? Do you think it even matters where you

live these days, as so much is done on the Internet?

Thank you!

<p>Ra:<br>

Do it! The New York photo world is filled with incredible people and events. Once there, you'll soon learn that much less than you think is done by internet.<br>

I lived in the city for many years and now live about 40 miles away.<br>

As for "competitive" - it's nowhere near as competitive as selling travel images on stock websites.<br>

If you're reaching for the top, where you live matters. You could also try London, Paris or Milan, but my city will always be New York.</p>

<p> </p>